BEST Christmas Cookies
This is a collection of the best Christmas cookies recipes that are perfect for gifting. They are homemade plus quick and easy to make with simple ingredients. They are also easy to package plus there are so many different flavors to choose from.
Christmas is right around the corner and for most families, it’s cookie season. So, I thought I would make things easier for you and gathered the best and the most popular cookie recipes from my blog archives that would be perfect as a homemade gift or just to enjoy at parties!
These easy Christmas cookies are typically broken down into the following categories (at least, in my family):
- Cut out cookies
- Drop cookies
- Slice and bake cookies
- Decorated cookies
- Pressed cookies
I have also shared some some frosting recipes at the end of this post that pair very well with these Christmas cookies.
Also, I went ahead and shared cool ideas on packaging them and other homemade treats at the end of this post. Don’t miss out on that!
Classic Traditional Christmas Cookies
These are some of the most common and popular cookies ever. You are sure to see them at bakeries and I bet these are some of the cookies your mom and grandma made during the holiday season. Among these, the most popular are cut out sugar cookies and gingerbread cookies, in my opinion.
- Cut Out Sugar Cookies
- Easy Sugar Cookies (Soft and Chewy)
- Best Shortbread Cookies (3 Ingredients)
- Red Velvet Cookies (With Cake Mix)
- Red Velvet Crinkle Cookies
- Easy Gingerbread Cookies (With Cake Mix)
- Ginger Cookies
- Butter Pecan Cookies
- Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
- Snowball Cookies (Wedding Cookies)
- Christmas Pinwheel Cookies
- Gooey Butter Cookies
- Classic Snickerdoodles Cookies
- Chocolate Crinkle Cookies (With Cake Mix)
- Iced Oatmeal Cookies
- Meringue Cookies
- Classic No Bake Cookies
- Stained Glass Cookies
- Cinnamon Cookies
- Molasses Cookies
- Classic Spritz Cookies
- Jam Thumbprint Cookies
Chocolate Christmas Cookies
- Chocolate Sugar Cookies (Cut Out Cookies)
- S’mores Cookies
- Oatmeal Lace Cookies (With Chocolate Filling)
- Church Window Cookies (No Bake)
- Chocolate Caramel Cookies
- Chocolate Cherry Cookies
- Best Chocolate Chip Cookies (Jumbo Size)
- Triple Chocolate Cookies
- Chocolate Spritz Cookies
- Chocolate Cake Mix Cookies
- Nutella Cookies
- Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies
- Chocolate M&M Cookies
- Peppermint Stuffed Chocolate Cookies
- Chocolate Chunk Cookies
- Rolo Chocolate Cookies
- Mocha Crinkle Cookies
White Chocolate Cookies
- White Chocolate Chip Cookies
- White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookies
- White Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
- White Chocolate Oatmeal Cranberry Cookies
Peanut Butter cookies
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Classic Peanut Butter Cookies
- Peanut Butter Blossoms
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Cookies (Thumbprints)
- Cranberry Orange Cookies (Shortbread)
- Strawberry Cookies
- Lemon Cookies
- Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Key Lime Cookies
- Raspberry Rose Cookies
- Orange Cookies
- Caramel Snickerdoodle Cookies
- Salted Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Coconut Cookies (Stuffed with Caramel)
- Churro Cookies (Filled with Caramel)
- Eggnog Cookies
- Snowflake Cookies
- Funfetti Cookies (Cut Out Cookies)
- Cookie Bowls
- Avocado Cookies (Healthier Cookies)
- Champagne Cookies (Cut outs)
- Crackly Sugar Cookies
- Coconut Sugar Cookies (Cut Outs)
- Ricotta Cheese Cookies
- Royal Icing (Dries hard- great for cookie decorating. This one is also perfect for people with allergies since it’s egg-free and dairy-free)
- Glace Icing (Dries hard- great for cookie decorating)
- Sugar Cookie Frosting (Does not harden and remains soft and fluffy but is still easy to spread on cookies, especially soft sugar cookies. Loaded with vanilla flavor)
- Chocolate Buttercream Icing (Rich, creamy and perfect for chocoholics!)
My favorite Christmas Cookies
For my family, nothing beats these triple chocolate cookies with peppermint chocolate chips. There are 3 sources of chocolate in them: cocoa powder in cake mix, chocolate chips in the dough and melted chocolate that’s drizzled on top. Totally choco-licious!
They are also ridiculously easy to make because they start off with a cake mix and require simple ingredients that you already have in your pantry. That heavenly chocolate and peppermint flavor combination makes them the perfect holiday cookie, in my opinion.
Christmas Cookies (With Cake Mix)
- 1 box Chocolate cake mix, 15 oz. box
- 1/3 cup Butter , Unsalted, Melted
- 2 Eggs, Large
- 1 tsp Peppermint extract, Optional
- 3/4 cup Chocolate chips, Semisweet
- 1/2 cup Peppermint chocolate baking chips, I use Andes brand, Can also replace with Andes mint chocolate baking chips
- 1/2 cup Melted chocolate, Semisweet
- In a large mixing bowl, add chocolate cake mix, butter, eggs, peppermint extract and mix until combined.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Chill dough in the fridge for 30-40 minutes to make it easier to handle.
- Scoop out small portions of the dough and roll into balls. Oil your hands to make this step easier and to prevent stickiness, if necessary.
- Place them on a cookie tray, lined with parchment paper.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 8-10 minutes or until edges are firm and centers are slightly soft.
- Remove from oven and stick peppermint chocolate baking chips on top of each cookie. You will need to work quickly before cookies cool down.
- Let the cookies cool now.
- Drizzle melted chocolate over the cookies.
- Let it set and harden. Enjoy!
- Read all my tips above.
- Leftovers can be stored in a cookie jar at room temperature for up to 3 days. They can also be refrigerated in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
There are so many quick and easy ways to package edible gifts such as cookies. Be sure to check out my post on 9 easy ways to package edible gifts and feel free to share any other ideas you have in the comments below.
All these ideas are affordable, creative and beautiful!