Chocolate Cherry Cookies
Quick and easy chocolate cherry cookies recipe, made with a cake mix. Filled with buttercream frosting, cherry pie filling and chocolate shreds.
These chocolate cherry cookies have all the flavors of a black forest cake but in cookie form. They are crispy and crunchy on the outside but soft on the inside. Great for cookie Christmas parties and cookie exchanges.
The chocolate in these double chocolate cherry cookies recipe comes from: cocoa powder in the chocolate cake mix AND chocolate shreds.
How to make chocolate cherry cookies/ cherry chocolate cookies?
- Mix cake mix powder, baking powder, eggs, oil, vanilla extract until everything is combined.
- Scoop out small portions of the dough and roll ball shapes.
- Roll cookie dough balls in a granulated sugar.
- Indent the center and bake.
- When the cookies cool down, fill them with buttercream, cherry pie filling and decorate with chocolate shreds.
Tips for easy chocolate cherry cookies:
- Don’t use butter instead of oil because oil yields the best texture. Best choices are: vegetable, light olive oil, corn or canola.
- Cherry pie filling and buttercream frosting can be store-bought or homemade.
- I highly recommend rolling the cookie balls in granulated sugar because it gives these cookies a crispy top.
- You cannot store these cookies for too many days because the cherry pie filling can make the cookies a bit soggy. I only recommend 1-2 days.
Cake mix chocolate cherry cookies:
My favorite choice is Devil’s food cake mix because it has a rich chocolate flavor but you can also use chocolate cake mix. I have used various brands to test this recipe and all the results were almost the same. Use whichever brand you like.
Cherry Chocolate Chip Cookies/Chocolate Chip Cherry Cookies:
Add 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips in the cookie dough. Use semisweet, milk, dark or even white chocolate chips, based on your preference.
Other flavor variations:
- Chocolate Maraschino Cherry Cookies- Instead of cherry pie filling, fill each cookie with maraschino cherry frosting and decorate with a maraschino cherry.
- Cherry Oatmeal Cookies/ Chewy Chocolate Cherry Cookies– Add 1/3 cup oatmeal in the cookie dough.
- White Chocolate Cherry Cookies– Stir in 1/2 cup mini white chocolate chips in the cookie dough.
- Dark Chocolate Cherry Cookies– Use dark chocolate shreds and you can even stir in dark chocolate chips in the cookie dough.
- Chocolate Covered Cherry Cookies– After the baked cookies have cooled down, dip each cookie in melted chocolate and then top them off buttercream, cherry pie filling and chocolate shreds.
- Cherry Chocolate Kiss Cookies– Bake the cookies, as per my instructions below. Then, place a Kiss chocolate in the center of each cookie.
- Chocolate Dried Cherry Cookies- Stir in 1/3 cup chopped dried cherries in the cookie dough.
Other Cookie Recipes:
- Cotton Candy Cookies
- Easy Lemon Cookies
- Classic Snickerdoodle Cookies
- Strawberry Cookies
- Best Chocolate Chip Cookies (Soft and Chewy)
- Classic Spritz Cookies
- Red Velvet Crinkle Cookies
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Thumbprint Cookies
Other Cherry Recipes:
Chocolate Cherry Cookies Recipe
- Add eggs, oil and vanilla extract and mix until smooth.
- Scoop out small portions of the cookie dough and roll them into balls.
- Roll these cookie balls in a bowl of granulated sugar.
- Place them on a cookie tray, lined with parchment paper.
- Use your thumb to make a small indentation in the center.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes or until they are firm on the edges.
- Note: When you remove the cookies from the oven, you will notice the indentations are not that deep anymore. Press the back of a wooden spoon or the round bottom of a measuring spoon into the center again. You must do this quickly before the cookies have a chance to cool down.
- When the cookies cool down completely, fill each cookie with some buttercream frosting. Leave some space on the top.
- Fill the remaining space with cherry pie filling.
- Top it all off chocolate shreds. Enjoy.
- Read all my tips above.
- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 1 day.
Until next time, tata my lovelies!