These easy chocolate sugar cookies have the crispy texture of classic cut out sugar cookies but with a rich chocolate flavor. Great for cookie decorating!
Being a chocoholic, one of my favorite cookies are these CUT OUT chocolate sugar cookies/chocolate cookies.
Basically, they have the texture of classic sugar cookies but a rich chocolate flavor that’s to die for!
These cut out chocolate sugar cookies are:
- Great for cookie decorating with Royal icing or Glace icing or just melted chocolate
- Packed with rich chocolate flavor
- Hold their shape fairly well
- Perfect for packing and shipping to family/friends during the Christmas holidays.
Maybe I am PICKY but the chocolate sugar cookie recipes I have tried in the past were HORRIBLE.
Well, that all that changed when I found this recipe from the decorated cookie.
BUY NOW FOR $9.99
I modified it a bit and they are truly EXCEPTIONAL!
These EASY chocolate sugar cookies with cocoa powder are made by just MIXING all the ingredients thoroughly and then CHILLING the dough for 2 hours.
Then, you simply roll out the cookie dough and use cutters to cut out pieces and bake as you would, regular sugar cookies.
Here are some TIPS for making PERFECT chocolate sugar cookies:
- Make sure the egg and butter at room temperature. This allows them to BLEND properly into the dough.
- There is NO milk or water in this recipe. Do not add those ingredients or else the dough will become very sticky.
- You must CHILL the dough to make it easier to roll out the dough. Chilling the dough also prevents cookies from spreading, while baking.
- Rolling the dough between 2 sheets of wax paper will prevent it from sticking to your rolling pin or your countertop. You also won’t have to use additional flour for dusting. I highly recommend this for ALL cut out cookie recipes.
- If you are ever IMPATIENT and don’t want to wait for the dough to chill, you can make chocolate DROP sugar cookies or chocolate crinkle cookies by scooping out tablespoons of the dough, shaping them into balls, rolling them in granulated sugar and then baking.
- Store cookies in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
- Cookie dough can also be frozen in a tightly sealed freezer bag for up to 1 month.
If you liked this chocolate sugar cookies recipe, you should check out some of these other chocolate cookies too:
Chocolate Sugar Cookies
- 2 cups Flour
- 1 cup Sugar granulated
- ½ cup Unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup Unsalted butter
- 1 Egg
- 1 tbsp Vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp Baking soda
- In a mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and vanilla extract and mix until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, and baking soda.
- Dump this dry mixture into the wet mixture and mix until just combined. I noticed that using my hands for mixing everything together was much easier.
- Refrigerate this dough for 2 hours. I refrigerated overnight. It was rock solid when I took it out in the morning so I allowed it to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes before rolling it out.
- Roll out the dough and use cookie cutters to make shapes.
- Place cookies gently on a cookie tray, lined with parchment paper.
- Bake at 375 degrees (8 to 10 minutes for small cookies or 10 to 12 minutes for larger cookies).
Let them cool down completely and then remove from the cookie tray. And you are done! Enjoy!
Read my tips above.
Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
Cookie dough can also be frozen in a tightly sealed freezer bag for up to 1 month.
Until next time, tata my lovelies!