Quick and easy churro cookies recipe, made with 4 ingredients: pie crust, sugar, cinnamon and butter. These crunchy, crispy cookies are ready in 30 minutes and can be stuffed with caramel.
*Thank you Pillsbury for sponsoring today's post so that I can share this recipe with all of you. As always, all opinions are mine.*
I grew up baking with my Mom and we used to love making these "lazy" cookies. We enjoyed them because they didn't take long to make and we could give them as gifts during the Holidays. Today, I make these with my own son and it's fun seeing him using the big box of cookie cutters to make whatever shapes he likes and get as creative as he wants. These precious memories in the kitchen with my little one mean the world to me! If you are looking for more ideas to share with your own young ones, check out more pie crust recipes like Butter Pie Crust, Graham Cracker Crust and Oreo Pie Crust.
While making these cookies, I thought about the Pillsbury Bake-off Contest. If you enjoy baking, this contest is the perfect place to share YOUR heartfelt family memories, stories and recipes that mean the world to you! There are some fantastic prizes too. Open your family recipe books, get creative and get baking! Can you imagine if your family recipe won?! Wow!
Table of contents
Key ingredients for stuffed cinnamon churro cookies
- Pie Crust- These can be found at your local grocery store and I recommend using this specific brand.
- Soft caramel candy- Be sure not to get the hard caramel candies, because you want them to be gooey and soft.
- Butter- Use unsalted so that your cookies are not too salty and me sure you melt it before adding.
- Sugar- Use granulated sugar, because powdered or brown sugar will change the texture and flavor.
- Cinnamon powder- This is what gives the cookies that churro flavor.
- Cookie bars- Cut strips instead of circles and bake those. Then, cover them in butter and cinnamon sugar.
- Churro apple pie cookies- Replace caramel candy with store bought or Homemade Apple Pie Filling but remember to use very little to prevent it from oozing out of the cookies.
- Add chocolate- Replace caramel candy with chocolate. Again, remember to use a small piece to prevent it from oozing out of the cookies.
- Caramel cream cheese- Spread a little cream cheese on one pie crust and place a small piece of soft caramel on top. Then, cover it with another pie crust piece and seal the edges with a fork. Bake and cover with butter and cinnamon sugar. Enjoy!
- Omit filling- Simply place the cut out pieces on a cookie tray and bake until crispy and golden brown. Then, brush them with butter and cover them in cinnamon sugar.
- Homemade crust- Instead of the 2 Pillsbury pie crusts, which is very simple to use and delicious as well, make your favorite homemade pie crust, such as this Flaky Pie Crust.
How to make easy churro cookies recipe with pie crust?
- Cut- Round pie crust pieces.
- Place- A small piece of caramel in the center.
- Brush- Edges with water.
- Cover- With another piece of round pie crust.
- Press- The edges with a fork
- Bake- Until golden brown.
- Brush- The top and bottom with melted butter.
- Coat- Them completely in cinnamon sugar. Enjoy!
- Easy Chocolate Fondue
- Hot Fudge Sauce (Chocolate Fudge Sauce)
- Homemade Caramel Sauce
- Nutella Syrup
- Homemade Whipped Cream
- Chocolate Whipped Cream
- Chantilly Cream
- Chocolate Ganache
- Chocolate Fruit Dip
- Chocolate Gravy
- Cream Cheese Fruit Dip
Filling ideas for stuffed cookies
- Small candy bars
- Chocolate truffles
- Chocolate chips
- Peanut butter
- Reese's peanut butter cups
Tips and Techniques
Use unsalted butter- Because the salted one will make these cookies very salty.
Use granulated sugar- Don't replace with powdered sugar because you will loose out on the sugary crunch.
Don't over-fill- The cookies or else the filling will leak out and make a mess.
Line baking sheet- With parchment paper so that the cookies don't stick.
Allow to cool- Before brushing butter on, because it will adhere to the cookie better.
Don't skip brushing water- On the edges before pressing them together with a fork, because this ensures a better seal so the filling stays put.
They were probably not baked long enough to become crispy. Bake for a few more minutes until golden brown.
They were not sealed tight or the caramel candy that you stuffed inside the cookie was too big.
They are over-baked or they were baked at a very high temperature.
Storage of homemade cookies
Room temperature- Serve fresh, then save in a container for up to 3 days.
Fridge- You can put cookies in an airtight container for up to a week, but they taste best when served fresh
Freezer- These cannot be frozen, because they become soggy and lose that crispy texture.
More Cinnamon Desserts
- Cinnamon French Toast Sticks
- Cinnamon Roll Cake (With Cake Mix)
- Cinnamon French Toast
- Cinnamon Roll Icing (Without Cream Cheese)
- 1 Hour Cinnamon Rolls
- Cinnamon Cookies
- Cinnamon Pancakes
- Cinnamon Muffins
Churro Cookies Recipe
- Roll out the pie crusts and use a small round cutter to cut out 12 pieces on each crust. You can reuse the crust and roll it out again to make more circular pieces.
- Place a small piece of caramel candy in the center of one piece.
- Brush the edges with water.
- Place another pie piece of top of the caramel and press the edges with a fork to seal everything together.
- Place cookies on a tray, lined with parchment paper.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for about 8-10 minutes OR until golden brown along the edges.
- Allow the cookies to cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, prepare the sugar mixture by mixing together the granulated sugar and cinnamon in a small mixing bowl.
- When the cookies cool completely, brush melted butter on both sides.
- Roll them in a bowl of cinnamon sugar. Enjoy!
- Real all my tips above.
- Leftovers can be stored in a cookie jar at room temperature for up to 2 days.