Collection of many quick and easy Easter cake ideas, including bunny cake, chick cake, chocolate nest cake, Peeps cake, jelly bean cake, flower cake & more!
When it comes to Easter desserts, there is usually a lot of color and fruits involved, especially berries. There also seems to be a big focus on citrus flavors, along with egg candies and Peeps marshmallows. All the Easter cake ideas have been divided into citrus cakes, fruit cakes, decorated cakes. Furthermore, there are 3 additional cake ideas at the end of this post that are perfect for Easter.
Table of contents
Traditional Easter Desserts/ Cakes
- Carrot cake
- Hummingbird cake
- Coconut cake
- Lemon cake
- Hot cross buns
- Fruit tart
- Italian cream cake
- Italian Easter bread
Easter Cake Decorations
- Fondant- Keep your colors light and pastel. Blue, turquoise, yellow and pink are very popular.
- Frosting- Mostly pastel shades and colors are preferred around this time of the year.
- Seasonal candies- Such as Cadbury eggs, Reese's eggs and Peeps.
- Sprinkles- There are so many cool shapes like chicks, carrots, bunnies.
When you think of these cakes, think of strong lemon, lime and orange flavors that are obtained from extracts, emulsion oils and zests.
Fruit and Berry Cakes
These cakes usually incorporate a lot of fresh berries like strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries.
These could be mini cakes, layer cakes, tiered cakes or just a simple single round 8 inch cake. The most popular designs are robin eggs, chicks, bunnies; lamb and nests. The use of Peeps marshmallows, jelly beans, Cadbury eggs, Reese's eggs are quite popular too. Pastel colored desserts are very prominent too.
Easter Nest Cake
This cute mini cake is topped with chocolate frosting to look like a nest. Then, it's decorated with egg candies and a sugar bird.
- Bake small round cakes (about 3inches).
- Fill a piping bag with Chocolate Buttercream Frosting and attach Tip 1M and pipe a swirl in the center.
- Stick some egg candies and a bird candy on top.
Jelly Bean cake/ Jelly Bean Flower Cake
This is a fun mini cake that's decorated with colorful jelly beans in the shape of a flower.
- Bake small round cakes (about 3 inches).
- Fill a piping bag with blue frosting and attach Tip 1M and pipe a swirl in the center.
- Stick jelly beans in flower formation.
My Favorite- Easter Chick Cake
My favorite dessert for this holiday is a cute baby chick cake. It's a lemon cake, covered in lemon frosting and decorated with candies. It's so easy to make that even kids can help out.
- 6 Lemon cakes, Round, Mini size, 3 inch diameter
- 3 cups Lemon frosting, Colored yellow
- 12 Eyeball candies
- 12 Star candies
- ½ cup Banana candies
- 6 Red m&m candies
- Bake mini cakes.
- Allow them to cool completely.
- Then, ice them in yellow lemon frosting.
- Stick eyeball candies near the top.
- Stick star candies for the feet.
- Stick banana candies for the wings.
- Stick a red m&m candy for the beak.
- This is optional but just for fun, stick a little bow candy on the head. Enjoy!
- This recipe yields 6 mini cakes.
With regards to storage, leftovers can be refrigerated in a sealed container for up to 3 days. In terms of freezing, unfrosted cakes can be frozen in a sealed container. When you are ready to enjoy them, thaw at room temperature for 30 minutes or in the fridge overnight. For make ahead instructions, these mini cakes can be made 1 day in advance and stored in the fridge until you are ready to serve.
Now, this was an older nest cake I made years ago and I thought some of you might want to try this too. The nest is made out of melted chocolate instead frosting and can be filled with egg candies and even fondant chicks.
- Cover a semi-circle styrofoam with wax paper. Rub some shortening over it so that the chocolate nest is easy to remove.
- Melt chocolate and pour into a squeeze bottle. Squeeze chocolate all over the styrofoam in random motion until it’s all covered. Pop it in the freezer for 5 minutes.
- Take it out of the freezer and squeeze chocolate randomly again.The chocolate nest should be thick by now. Pop it in the freezer for 5 minutes again.
- Take it out of the freezer and gently remove the next from the styrofoam. Your chocolate nest is ready.
- Fill this chocolate nest with yellow and white Easter egg candies as well as a fondant chick.
- Now, for the rest of the cake...Cover your cake in green marshmallow fondant.
- Use your chocolate squeeze bottle to make a tree and branches.If you are worried about this tree not looking proper, then draw the tree and branches with edible marker first and then trace over that with melted chocolate.
- Use a flower candy mold to make little yellow chocolate flowers. For the leaves, cut out green jelly candies into small pieces. Stick the flowers and leaves along the tree branches with corn syrup, royal icing or even melted chocolate and you are done. Enjoy!