Easy Cereal Cake
Use this step by step cake decorating tutorial to make an easy cereal cake with Trix cereal. It’s homemade with simple ingredients. Fun and colorful and perfect for kids birthday parties.
Cereal can be used for so much more than just breakfast, as shown by today’s desserts. This is a super easy cake decorating tutorial, where you don’t need any fondant or cutters or fancy tools. It’s perfect for beginners and even kids.
More Cereal Desserts
- Best Rice Krispie Treats
- S’mores Bars
- Rainbow Cereal Balls (No Bake)
- Easy Scotcheroos (No Corn Syrup)
- No Bake Breakfast Muffins
- Chocolate Crunch Bars
- Rainbow Froot Loops Marshmallow Bars
- Froot Loops Chocolate Cookies
How to make cereal cake from scratch?
- Bake cakes- A rainbow cake was the perfect choice.
- Let it cool- Until it’s room temperature.
- Make chocolate icing- It should be a thick but spreadable consistency.
- Assemble– Place one cake on cake stand, ice the top, then, place the other cake on top and then, ice the whole cake.
- Make cereal flowers- By dropping a spoonful of melted chocolate on a sheet of wax paper and sticking cereal in a flower formation.
- Let it set– This takes about 10 minutes.
- Stick all over cake- Press each cluster gently.
Variations for Chocolate Cereal Cake
Use other cereals- There are so many different shapes, sizes and colors and you can get as creative as you like with the design. Froot Loops and Fruity Pebbles would be great alternatives.
Cover cake in fondant– Once the cake is smoothly iced, cover it in colored Marshmallow Fondant and then stick the flowers on it with melted chocolate.
Make a layer cake- This is a single tall cake. Bake 3 inch cakes and stack them on top of this 6 inch cake. Make sure to use dowels for support.
Add cake fillings- Such as Homemade Strawberry Jam or peanut butter or Nutella or thick ganache.
Use white chocolate- Instead of using melted semisweet chocolate to make flower clusters. You can also use colored candy melts.
Toss sprinkles- To make this cake even more colorful and fun!
Tips and Techniques
Don’t decorate a warm cake- The cake must cool completely because if you frost a warm cake, the icing will melt into a sticky mess.
Line pans with parchment paper- This makes it easier to remove cakes from the pan.
Trim edges and dome of baked cakes– This allows you to make a leveled cake that’s not tilted.
Don’t remove flower clusters too quickly from wax paper- The chocolate has to set until hard. If you remove it too quickly, the flowers will break.
More Easy Decorated Cakes
Refrigerate- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Freeze- Unfrosted cakes can be frozen in a sealed container for up to 1 month. When you are ready to enjoy it, thaw cakes in fridge overnight and then, ice and decorate.
Make ahead instructions- This cake can be made 1 day in advance and stored in the fridge.
Easy Cereal Cake
- Bake the cakes and allow them to cool completely.
- While they are cooling, prepare frosting.
- Place one cake on a cake stand or serving dish.
- Spread frosting on top with a spatula.
- Then, place the other cake on top and press gently to secure it in place.
- Now, frost the entire cake completely.
- Run the spatula vertically all around the cake until there is a line pattern.
- Run the spatula on top of the cake in a circular motion until there is a circle pattern. Keep aside.
- Drop a spoonful of melted chocolate on a sheet of wax paper.
- Stick the Trix cereal in the shape of a flower on top of the melted chocolate.
- Allow the chocolate to set and harden at room temperature (about 10 minutes).
- Make these cereal flowers in multiple colors.
- Remove cereal flowers from wax paper and stick them randomly all over the cake.
- Stick some cereal balls around the base of the cake. Enjoy!
- Read all my tips above.
- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days.