Strawberry Shortcake Cake
The best, classic, easy strawberry shortcake cake recipe from scratch, homemade with simple ingredients. This layer cake is composed of soft and moist vanilla cake, sweet juicy strawberry filling and fluffy whipped cream.
If you love this Classic Strawberry Shortcake Recipe (With Biquick Mix), you will really enjoy today’s cake. It’s inspired by those same fruit flavors and makes a delicious Summer dessert.
How to make strawberry shortcake cake recipe from scratch?
- Make cake– Some people use a sponge cake. I like to use my super soft and moist vanilla cake. Start off by creaming together butter, oil and sugar. Next, add eggs, buttermilk, vanilla extract. Then, mix in flour, baking powder, baking soda until just combined. Pour batter in 2 round cake pans. Bake. Let them cool down.
- Make strawberry mixture- While the cakes are baking and/or cooling down, mix together chopped strawberries and jam. Keep aside.
- Make whipped cream– While the cakes are baking and/or cooling down, mix together cold heavy cream, sugar and vanilla extract until peaks form. Keep aside.
- Assemble– Place one cake on a cake stand (you can use a serrated knife to cut the brown sides of the cake first but it’s an optional step). Spread whipped cream on top. Then, add spoonfuls of the strawberry mixture. Place the other cake on top. Top it off with whipped cream and strawberries too. Keep it covered and refrigerated until you are ready to serve.
How is this different from strawberry cake?
Strawberry cake has chopped strawberries (and sometimes, even strawberry puree) mixed in the batter and then it’s baked. The shortcake version does not have strawberries in the batter. Instead fresh strawberries are added as a cake filling and topping.
How to pick good strawberries?
- Buy bright red berries, which are are the ripest and juiciest.
- Avoid dry, wrinkled, shriveled berries. Look for firm, plump berries.
- Make sure there’s no mold in the box!
- Buy from local farmers markets, who typically have the freshest fruits.
Do you need to macerate strawberries?
I prefer tossing fresh strawberries with jam and NOT macerating.
In case you don’t know, macerating is the process of tossing fresh strawberries with granulated sugar and allowing it to sit for for a little, causing the berries to becomes softer and naturally release their juices to create a syrup. So, the answer to the question is that you can do that but it tends to leak the juices all over the cake. This ruins the presentation of the cake and it can also make the vanilla cakes soggy, if not served immediately. That’s why I don’t do it.
More cake filling ideas
Obviously, the classic choice is whipped cream and strawberries but you can get as creative as you like with some of these other ideas.
Use other fruits- Use a combination of other berries together or you can use other soft fruits like kiwis, bananas, peaches, nectarines, mangoes.
Try pie fillings– This is a great alternative if the fruits you want to use are not ripe or not in season. Add a few tablespoons of these fillings, along with some whipped cream. Here are some of my favorites: Strawberry Pie Filling and Raspberry Pie Filling and Peach Pie Filling and Apple Pie Filling and Blueberry Pie Filling and Cherry Pie Filling.
- Strawberry shortcake ice cream cake- Use an ice cream frosting or replace whipped cream with vanilla ice cream.
- Strawberry shortcake birthday cake- Toss pink sprinkles on top of the cake and also add, little birthday candles.
- Strawberry shortcake cheesecake cake– Prepare 1 round cheesecake and 2 round vanilla cakes separately. Then, assemble in the following way: cake at the bottom, cheesecake at the center, another cake on top. Between each layer, add whipped cream and chopped strawberries.
Tips and Techniques
Double the recipe– To make a taller layer cake.
Use cold heavy cream to make whipped cream– The colder it is, the more volume it has and the more fluffy it is.
Use room temperature cakes– If they are too hot, the whipped cream will melt and make a big sticky mess.
Can this cake be made in advance? Yes, it can be made 1 day in advance. Cover and keep it in the fridge until you are ready to serve. However, if you are using macerated strawberries, you can prepare all the components of this cake separately a few days in advance and store in the fridge. Assemble an hour before serving to prevent the cake from becoming soggy.
Store- bough jam vs. Homemade jam– Either can be used. Homemade tastes the best though!
Store bought whipped cream vs. Homemade whipped cream– Homemade is the best and the freshest and you can also control the level of sweetness. However, if you are short on time, store-bought Cool Whip is a fine substitute.
Can I use cake mix box? Absolutely! That’s a great alternative, if you are short on time. You can use golden cake mix, yellow cake mix, butter cake mix.
More Strawberry Desserts
- Strawberry Cupcakes
- Strawberry Cookies
- Strawberry Cheesecake Cupcakes (No Bake)
- Strawberry Coconut Bars
- Easy Strawberry Strudels
Strawberry Shortcake Cake
Easy strawberry shortcake cake recipe from scratch, homemade with simple ingredients. Composed of layers of vanilla cake, strawberry filling, whipped cream.
Bake the vanilla cakes and allow them to cool down completely.
Use a serrated knife to trim down the brown sides of the cakes. Keep aside. (This is an optional step).
Use a cold bowl and cold heavy cream to make whipped cream. Keep aside.
In a large mixing bowl, add strawberries, strawberry jam and mix until combine and glossy. Keep aside.
Finally, assemble: Place one cake on a cake stand. Spread whipped cream on top. Add spoonfuls of the strawberry mixture. Place the other cake on top. Spread whipped cream and strawberries on top.
Cover and chill in the fridge until you are ready to serve. Don’t use saran wrap to cover the cake because the icing will stick to it and it will ruin the appearance of your cake. Instead, place it in a cake caddy or large cake box. The caddy is reusable, washable and also great for transferring cakes to parties safely.
- Read all my tips above.
- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Until next time, tata my lovelies!