Learn how to make quick and easy monster cupcakes. All you need is melted chocolate, candies and cereal. Fun to make with kids for Halloween parties!
These super easy cupcakes were a result of my weird curiosity. You see, everyone I know has grown up eating cereal clusters but somehow, I didn't. I grew up eating cereal the good old fashioned way - in a bowl of milk! So, I got to work and made them. They are basically made with chocolate and cereal mixed together. They are crunchy and sweet and perfect for both, chocolate and cereal lovers. Add these cupcakes to your Kids Halloween Party, and if you want to take the monster theme even further, add these Easy Monster Cookies while you are at it.
How To Make Easy Halloween Monster Cupcakes?
- Bake cupcakes and make frosting- And keep aside.
- Mix ingredients for monster toppers- This includes cereal and melted chocolate.
- Drop big spoonfuls- On wax paper.
- Add m&m candies- And let the clusters set.
- Draw eyeballs- On m&m candies.
- Add a paper horn- On top of the clusters.
- Ice cupcakes- Place these clusters on top.
Variations For Homemade Halloween Cupcakes
Try other color combinations- Such as yellow and black or purple and orange for another spooky theme.
Mix in other seasonal Halloween candies- Such as candy corn, or Halloween shaped chocolates.
Tips And Techniques For Spooky Cupcakes
You can use store bought eyeball candies- Or you can just make Homemade Candy Eyes (Eyeballs) candies.
What cereal to use? I used Fruit Loops to make these monster blobs because it's fun to bite into them and see all the colors inside but you can use whatever cereal you like. Cheerios are another popular option.
If you are coloring melted white chocolate, make sure to use oil based food coloring- Do not use water-based food coloring or else your chocolate will seize.
How to save time? You can buy pre-colored chocolate, and save so much time. Wilton sells some amazing colors at very reasonable prices. You can also just use store bought cupcakes and frosting and stick the cereal monsters on top of them.
Instead of buttercream, decorate with fondant- You can use this homemade Marshmallow Fondant, or use store-bought version.
What kind of chocolate to use? I used white chocolate so I could dye it green, but you can use whatever chocolate you prefer. Just know the look will vary. You can also use colored candy melts, if you like.
How to melt chocolate? In a microwave safe bowl, melt according to package directions. If they don't have any, melt at 30 second intervals making sure to stir between each heating.
Storage Of Decorated Cupcakes
Refrigerate- In a sealed container for up to 3 days.
Freeze- I do not recommend freezing these because the cereal topping can become soggy upon thawing.
More Halloween Desserts
- Halloween Pudding Cups
- Halloween Donuts (Spider and Monster)
- Easy Ghost Cookies
- Easy Mummy Cake
- Easy Chocolate Monsters
Easy Halloween Monster Cupcakes
- Bake cupcakes and allow them to cool down fully.
- Prepare the frosting and keep aside.
- In a deep mixing bowl, add cereal and melted chocolate and mix everything together.
- Spoon out about two tablespoons of this mixture onto a sheet of wax paper.
- Stick M&M candies randomly on these monster blobs.
- Let these monster clusters set and harden at room temperature (takes about 10 minutes).
- Use a black edible marker to draw eyeballs on the candies.
- Then, push a horn pick on top of each monster.
- Spread buttercream icing on top of each cupcake and top it off each with cereal monster. Enjoy!
- Read all my tips above.
- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days.