Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Quick and easy vegan chocolate cupcakes, ready in less than 30 minutes, requiring simple ingredients. These eggless chocolate cupcakes are soft and moist.
It’s typically very challenging to bake without butter and eggs but after many attempts and modifications, these perfect cupcakes were the result. They are soft, tender, light and airy. No one can even tell they have NO eggs and NO butter! Even if you don’t follow a vegan diet, you have to try these dairy free cupcakes and prepare to be blown away!
This vegan cupcake recipe is:
- Ready in less than 30 minutes
- Requires simple ingredients
- Dairy free
How to make vegan chocolate cupcakes from scratch?
- Mix vinegar are milk– Leave it aside until it curdles.
- Add sugar, oil, vanilla extract– And mix until combined.
- Mix together dry ingredients separately- This includes flour, baking powder, baking soda espresso powder.
- Combine wet and dry mixtures- And mix until just combined.
- Pour batter into cupcake liners- They should be filled halfway.
- Bake– until an inserted toothpick in the center comes out clean.
- Enjoy– Let them cool and ice them.
Variations for easy vegan chocolate cupcake recipe
Try other frostings- Such as vanilla icing, peanut butter frosting, cream cheese frosting or even whipped cream.
Ebooks by Cakewhiz
Add a filling- Such as peanut butter, almond butter, or other nut butters of your choice. Even jams and preserves are a great option.
Consider a ganache topping- If you make thin chocolate ganache with coconut cream, you can use that as a vegan chocolate glaze for these cupcakes.
Add toppings and decorations- Such as sprinkles, roughly chopped nuts or small candies.
Spread frosting instead of piping- Just use a spatula to spread the icing on top of cupcakes rather than piping them. They will be just as delicious and just as nice.
Tips and Techniques
What oil to use? You can use vegetable oil, corn oil or canola oil. They all yield the same results. I have also made them with coconut oil but that changed the texture of these cupcakes dramatically! They became denser and had somewhat of a brownie texture. They still tasted very good but I like the original version much better.
What vinegar to use? Distilled white vinegar or apple cider vinegar can both be used in this recipe.
Do not replace all-purpose flour- No other gluten- free flour gave the same fluffy results.
What milk to use? Use coconut milk, soy milk, cashew milk, oat milk or almond milk.
Espresso powder is highly recommended– It enhances the chocolate flavor even further.
Do not over-mix the batter- Because that will yield tough cupcakes.
Do not over-bake these cupcakes- Because that will make them dry and crumbly.
Don’t eat warm cupcakes- Control the urge to start eating these when they are hot and fresh out of the oven. They will be very soft and fragile and break apart easily but don’t worry! Let them cool down to room temperature and get ready to be blown away by all that deliciousness!
Make a bigger batch- Simply double all the ingredients and make more cupcakes for a crowd.
Don’t ice warm cupcakes- You must allow them to cool completely or else the icing will melt and make a sticky mess.
Refrigerate– Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for 3-5 days.
Freeze– Unfrosted cupcakes can be frozen in a sealed container for up to 1 month and thawed at room temperature or in the fridge overnight. Once they are completely defrosted, frost them.
More Cupcake Recipes
- Yellow Cupcakes with Chocolate Frosting
- Boston cream pie cupcakes
- Chocolate cherry cupcakes
- Sugar free chocolate cupcakes
Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes
- 1 cup Soy milk Can also use almond milk or coconut milk
- 1 tbsp Vinegar
- ¾ cup Granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup Oil
- 1 tbsp Vanilla extract
- 1 cup All-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup Cocoa powder
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- ½ tsp Baking powder
- ¼ tsp Espresso powder Optional
- Vegan coconut cream chocolate frosting
- In a mixing bowl, add milk and vinegar. Mix with a spoon and and set aside for 3-5 minutes until it curdles.
- Now, add sugar, oil and vanilla extract into that bowl and mix until smooth.
- Dump this dry mixture into the wet mixture and mix until just combined.
- Pour batter into cupcake liners and bake at 350 degrees for about 18 minutes or until an inserted toothpick in the center comes out clean.
- Once the cupcakes cool down completely, frost each of them with coconut cream frosting.
- Read all my tips above.
- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for 3-5 days.