How to Make Blueberry Pie Filling
Quick and easy blueberry pie filling recipe that’s made with only 5 ingredients: blueberries, sugar, vanilla, lemon, cornstarch. It can be used as topping or filling in many desserts.
For the longest time, I used to be intimidated by making HOMEMADE blueberry pie filling or any fillings, whatsoever. However, after a bit of practice and my mom guiding me along, I really enjoy making pie fillings from scratch now.
They taste so much BETTER than canned fillings and you can ADJUST the flavors and extracts, based on your preference.
They also always have a wonderful FRESH flavor and aroma that’s intoxicating in desserts.
How do you make blueberry pie filling with frozen blueberries?
Add blueberries in a nonstick saucepan and cook until they release their juices. Separately, whisk together sugar and cornstarch and add this into the saucepan. Continue mixing until mixture thickens. Remove from heat and add vanilla extract and lemon juice.
How do you make blueberry sauce?
It’s made the same way as blueberry pie filling but it is sweeter and more sugar should be added to this recipe. Many people also believe that both are the same and there is no difference.
How do you make a blueberry pie?
- Bake a pie crust (store-bought or homemade).
- Fill it with this blueberry pie filling.
- Top it off with whipped cream.
- Decorate with chocolate shavings.
What thickens pie filling?
There are many options:
- Use CORNSTARCH as a thickener. It’s best to dissolve it in some water first so there are no lumps.
- Make blueberry pie filling with TAPIOCA FLOUR.
- Use regular ALL-PURPOSE FLOUR. I have noticed that this leaves a subtle after-taste and makes the filling a bit cloudy.
- Use CLERAR JEL/CLEAR GEL, which thickens very well and also prevents the cloudy appearance.
If you are planning on making blueberry pie filling without cornstarch because of allergies or intolerances, tapioca flour, all-purpose flour and Clear Jel would all be good choices.
Tips for homemade blueberry pie filling:
- If you are knowledgable on canning, you can easily follow those techniques to make canned blueberry pie filling and enjoy it for months.
- I used cornstarch to thicken this pie filling but you can also use tapioca flour, all-purpose flour or Clear Jel.
- This FROZEN blueberry pie filling can also be made with FRESH blueberries.
- ADJUST the amount of sugar, based on your preference. More sugar makes a sweet pie filling. less sugar makes a slightly tart pie filling.
- Add a little lemon zest, lime zest or even orange zest to give this filling a slight citrus kick.
- Add a little cinnamon powder to add a little spice to this filling.
- You must use a NON-STICK saucepan to prevent the filling from burning or sticking.
- This filling will THICKEN a bit more as it cools down.
- This filling is enough for a 9 inch pie.
Blueberry pie filling uses:
There are MANY recipes using blueberry pie filling and below are some blueberry pie filling desserts that I have tried and enjoyed.
- Blueberry pie filling crisp: Use your family’s no fail crisp recipe and replace the canned filling with this homemade blueberry version.
- Blueberry pie filling bread: Use it as a topping on the bread or slice the bread in half and use it as a filling.
- Blueberry pie filling bars: Use your favorite bars recipe and replace whatever fruit filling you are using with this one.
- Blueberry pie filling muffins: After your muffins have baked, make a hole in teh center and fill it with a spoonful of this filling. It would be a nice fruity surprise to bite into.
- Blueberry pie filling coffee cake: Use your favorite fruit coffee cake and replace the fruit filling with this blueberry one.
- Blueberry pie filling cobbler: Use your family’s no fail crisp recipe and replace the canned filling with this homemade blueberry version.
- Blueberry pie filling dump cake: This is a very easy cake that’s usually made it the slow cooker with a cake mix and canned filling. Just replace the canned filling with my recipe.
- Crepe, waffle or pancake filling or topping
- Cake filling
- Cupcake filling
- Scone topping
- Ice cream topping
- Yogurt topping
- Cheesecake topping
Well, that’s all for today.
If you liked this SIMPLE blueberry pie filling, you may like some of these other pie recipes too:
Blueberry Pie Filling
- 4 cups Blueberries, Fresh or Frozen
- 3/4 cup Granulated sugar
- 3-4 tbsp Cornstarch
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- 1 tbsp Vanilla extract
- In a nonstick saucepan, add blueberries and cook over medium heat until they soften and release their juices.
- Add this dry mixture into the saucepan.
- Continue stirring and cooking until mixture thickens.
- Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice and vanilla extract.
- Pour this pie filling in a jar and let it cool down completely. Then refrigerate and enjoy for up to 1 week.
- Read all my tips above.
- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Leftovers can also be stored in sealed freezer bags for up to 1 month.
Until next time, tata my lovelies!