Easy Homemade Strawberry Jam
Quick and easy homemade strawberry jam recipe without pectin, requiring simple ingredients. Simple homemade jam recipe for cake or cookie fillings.
As a kid, I remember baking A LOT with my Mom but I can’t remember us making easy homemade strawberry jam.
I asked my mom about it yesterday and she said that we tried once but unfortunately, I had an ALLERGIC reaction to the strawberries and we NEVER tried again.
I had completely FORGOTTEN about this incident, mainly because my strawberry allergy went away as I got older.. YAY!
This easy jam is great for:
- Cakes as a filling
- Cheesecakes as swirls on top
When to make strawberry jam?
Strawberry season is the best time to make it since there is an abundant supply of fresh strawberries.
How long does homemade jam last without canning?
If you are following proper canning protocols, the jam can last up to 1 year but if you are refrigerating in a sealed jar, only 10 days are recommended.
Why strawberry jam didn’t set? How to make strawberry jam set?
Cook it for longer. The excess liquid needs to evaporate.
Why does strawberry jam separate?
That’s basically the juices and pulp separating. Cook jam for longer and reduce the juices further to prevent this.
How do you make quick strawberry jam from scratch?
Start off by blending strawberries in a fruit processor. Transfer puree to a saucepan. Mix in sugar and lemon juice and cook until juices evaporate and jam comes to a full boil. Pour jam in a clean jar and let it cool down completely before sealing it and storing in the fridge.
How to make strawberry jam without sugar? How do you make sugar free strawberry jam?
Use the recipe below BUT replace sugar with honey. I have not found any other strawberry jam for diabetics that I like. Those artificial sweeteners give jams a weird bitter after-taste. Yuck!
Also, compared to some other homemade jams that I have tried, I consider the recipe below to be a low sugar strawberry jam recipe.
How much fruit do you need to make jam?
This recipe requires 4 1/2 cup strawberries but every recipe varies slightly.
How long does it take to cook jam? How long does it take to set jam?
This recipe requires less than 30 minutes to prepare and it takes a couple of hours to set.
How can I thicken jam without pectin?
Cook it for longer so as to reduce the juices.
How long do you water bath strawberry jam?
Once you place the lid on the canner, bring the water to a full boil. Then, boil for 10 minutes. Turn off the heat and leave the jars in hot water for 5 minutes. Use a sterilized jar lifter to remove the jars and allow them to sit for 24 hours, undisturbed. That being said, I did not do it for this post or these pictures.
Here are some TIPS for making perfect homemade jam every time:
- If you don’t like chunks and seeds in jams, use a sieve to remove all the seeds.
- After this jam is ready, you can follow proper canning technique to make freezer strawberry jam/strawberry freezer jam.
- Recipe can be doubled or tripled to make a bigger batch.
- Adjust the amount of sugar based on your preference.
- If you don’t cook for long enough, the jam will not thicken and you will end up with homemade strawberry preserves, which have a thinner consistency.
- Jam will thicken a bit more as it cools down.
- Make sure to use a non-stick saucepan to prevent the jam from sticking and burning.
- Make sure to use a wide saucepan so the excess liquid evaporates quickly.
- You can add red food coloring to enhance the color of this jam.
- This jam needs to be stored in a sealed jar in the refrigerator and is good for up to 10 days.
- To make strawberry rhubarb jam, use half strawberries and half rhubarbs.
- To make vanilla strawberry jam, add 1 tbsp vanilla extract at the very end.
- My recipe is slightly modified from Martha Stewart’s recipe.
If you liked this recipe, you may also like some of these other strawberry recipes:
Homemade Strawberry Jam
Quick and easy homemade strawberry jam recipe without pectin, requiring simple ingredients. Great homemade jam recipe for cake or cookie fillings.
- 4 1/2 cups Strawberries Fresh, Washed and patted dry,
- 1/2 cup Granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp Lemon juice Freshly squeezed
In a food processor, blend strawberries until you have a puree-like consistency.
Run this puree through a fine sieve to remove seeds (optional).
Pour the strawberry puree in a large non-stick saucepan and cook on medium-high heat.
Add sugar and lemon juice and mix until combined.
Keep stirring frequently until jam thickens and bubbles are covering the surface (about 12 minutes).
Pour jam into a clean jar and let it cool down completely.
Then, seal the jar and refrigerate up to 10 days. Enjoy!
- Read all my tips above.
Well, that’s all for today.
Until next time, tata my lovelies!