Mocha Cake Roll With Raspberries
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Rich mocha cake roll packed with coffee & chocolate flavors! Filled with buttercream icing and topped off with glossy espresso ganache & fresh raspberries.
Making cake rolls (like this mocha cake roll with raspberries) is something that still INTIMIDATES me, even after making so many other complex cakes over the years.
I get so TENSE, mainly because I know that if I over-bake the cake even the slightest, it’s not going to roll well. Trust me… it’s happened before and I still remember that giant crumbly cake MESS in my kitchen.
But for the last few days, I have wanted to make a strong coffee flavored cake and the only way I could do JUSTICE to the vision in my head was in the form of a cake roll.
So, I took a VERY deep breath and got to work…
But this time, I decided to make the roll, using a CAKE MIX and make my life easier.
I was still standing like a HAWK near the stove for the entire 11-12 minutes, while the cake was baking…hehe.
The end result was a MOUTHWATERING mocha cake roll with buttercream filling, topped off with glossy mocha ganache and fresh raspberries.
This cake was soft and creamy and had a big coffee KICK.
The subtle tartness from the raspberries PAIRED so well with the rich coffee flavor that I wanted to eat the entire cake myself…hahaha.
My hubby who is a huge coffee gave this cake a big THUMBS UP!
Here are some NOTES about this cake roll:
-If you want a very “chocolicious” mocha cake roll, use my chocolate buttercream frosting instead of regular buttercream icing.
– Do not over-bake this cake! If you over-bake, your cake will crack when you are rolling it.
– If you have never made a cake roll before, be sure to check out my step by step picture tutorial for making a banana cake roll!
– This recipe is adapted from the chocolate caramel turtle cake roll recipe I found at Crazy for Crust.
Well, that’s all for today.
If you liked this post, you may also like some of these other “mocha” recipes…
Mocha Cake Roll with Raspberries
- 1¾ cups Devil's food cake mix
- 3 Eggs Large
- ⅓ cup Water
- 2 tbsp Vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp Instant coffee granules
- ¼ cup Powdered sugar
- 1 cup Dark chocolate chips
- ½ cup Heavy cream
- 1 tbsp Instant coffee granules
- 1 cup Raspberries Fresh, washed and patted dry
- Shredded white chocolate
- In a deep mixing bowl, add the eggs and mix until they are fluffy.
- Add water and oil and mix again.
- Add the cake mix and instant coffee granules and mix until just combined.
- Pour this batter into a jelly roll pan (Dimensions: 15in x 10in x 1in) lined with wax paper or parchment paper.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 11-12 minutes or until the cake springs back when lightly touched. DO NOT over bake!
- Spread a clean kitchen towel on a table and sprinkle generously with powdered sugar.
- Turn the cake onto the kitchen towel and remove the wax paper.
- While the cake is hot, carefully roll this cake with the towel intact from one end to the other.
- Place this cake roll on a cooling rack and allow it to cool down for 1 hour.
- While the cake is cooling, prepare the buttercream icing.
- Also, prepare the ganache: Heat chocolate, heavy cream and instant coffee powder in a saucepan until everything is fully melted and smooth. Remove the saucepan from the heat and allow the ganache to cool down until it becomes slightly thick (but still has a pourable consistency).
- Now, unroll the cake gently and remove the towel.
- Spread the buttercream icing over the cake and re-roll it again.
Pour the ganache over the cake and top it off with fresh raspberries and shredded white chocolate. Enjoy!
Until next time, tata my lovelies!