Quick and easy chocolate whipped cream frosting recipe, homemade with 3 simple ingredients (heavy cream, cocoa powder, powdered sugar). Creamy, fluffy, stabilized icing that can be piped on cakes and cupcakes too.
This is a delicious alternative for those that don't like frosting or fondant piled on your cakes but enjoy a nice helping of fluffy icing. Not only is this delicious and chocolatey, but you can pipe with it, too! Don't like chocolate or need something in a different color? Try my Homemade Stabilized Whipped Cream.
How to make chocolate whipped cream recipe with cocoa powder from scratch?
- Chill- All of your mixing bowl and beaters.
- Mix ingredients- This includes heavy cream, cocoa powder, powdered sugar, espresso powder.
- Spread icing- On top of desserts.
Dark chocolate vs. Milk chocolate
To make dark chocolate flavor, you need to use Dutch process cocoa powder, which is bitter and darker in color. Natural process cocoa powder is lighter in color and will give a more "milk chocolate" flavor vibe and that's what I recommend.
Is whipping cream same as heavy cream?
Essentially, yes! It's basically just a name brand thing. Both have over 36% milk fat and make tasty desserts.
Why did my whipped cream frosting curdle?
This happens when you over-mix the ingredients. Be sure to mix with chilled bowl and beaters until stiff peaks form.
Why is my cocoa whipped icing runny and watery?
You haven't' mixed it long enough to form those nice stiff peaks. Just watch and be careful not to over-mix!
What happens if you mix melted chocolate and cream (heavy cream or whipping cream)?
Variations for chocolate whipped cream frosting for cakes and cupcakes
Peanut butter whipped cream- This is always a delightful flavor combination. Simply mix in 1-2 tablespoon creamy peanut butter.
Peppermint whipped cream - This is great for the Christmas holiday. Just mix in 1 teaspoon peppermint extract.
Mexican hot chocolate flavor- I love this unique taste. Mix in 1 teaspoon cinnamon and ¼ teaspoon chili powder. You can also add a pinch of cayenne and some nutmeg. It's mildly spiced and so wonderful.
Caramel chocolate flavor- Adding 1-2 tablespoons of this delicious Caramel Sauce.
Try other extracts- Such as maple, coconut, mint, almond.
Mix in some fresh zest- From oranges, limes or lemons.
What to pair with homemade cocoa whipped cream?
- Pies- It will taste unbelievably delicious with this Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie
- Tarts- Spread or swirl on top of this No Bake Chocolate Tart (Tartlet)
- Cakes- Such as this Chocolate Raspberry Cake or this Chocolate Cake Roll
- Cheesecake- Try it on top of this New York Cheesecake
- Cupcakes- It will taste delicious on these Yellow Cupcakes
- Waffles- Pair with these Chocolate Waffles.
- Pancakes- Try it on these Chocolate Chip Pancakes.
- Crepes- Fill these Chocolate Crepes.
- Brownies and bars- Spread it on these Fudgy Avocado Brownies
- Hot chocolate- You definitely need to drop a few spoonfuls on top of this Mexican Hot Chocolate.
Tips and techniques for whipped chocolate frosting
You must chill the bowls and whisks/attachments- Because this allows the cream to form stiff peaks quicker and with a better overall result.
You must use cold heavy cream- Because it will become stiff quicker and stay stiff longer, which is what you want for piping especially.
How to thicken whipped cream? Beat for a longer time, but don't mix so much that you make butter!
How to make whipped cream thinner? Don't beat it for very long or add in some more cold cream a little at a time.
Mix with right equipment- Use a stand mixer with the whip attachment or hand-held electric mixer (all chilled) to get those stiff peaks quickly.
You must use powdered sugar- Because it's not grainy like granulated sugar and dissolves smoothly in the cream.
Use unsweetened cocoa powder- This is different than a hot chocolate mix, which has additional ingredients.
Storage of homemade stabilized whipped cream without gelatin
Fridge- Place in a sealed container for up to 3 days.
Freezer- I don't recommend this because the icing can deflate upon thawing or it might curdle.
More easy frosting recipes
- Creme Chantilly
- Easy Glace Icing
- Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
- American Buttercream Frosting Recipe
- Marshmallow Frosting Recipe
Easy Chocolate Whipped Cream Frosting
- Chill all of your mixing bowl and beaters in the freezer for at least 10 minutes.
- In a chilled mixing bowl, add heavy cream, cocoa powder, powdered sugar, espresso powder and mix with a stand mixer (with the whip attachment) or hand-held electric mixer until stiff peaks form that are holding their shape.
- Don't over-mix to the point when your whipped cream starts to curdle and looks chunky or begins turning into butter.
- Spread this icing on top of your desserts and enjoy!
- Read all my tips above.
- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Re-whip it before using to make it fluffy again.