Quick and easy puff pastry apple turnover recipe, homemade with simple ingredients. Flaky and crispy puff pastry is loaded with delicious apple pie filling.
I know you guys love these Easy Cherry Turnovers (With Puff Pastry). They are perfect for Spring and Summer parties. Well, today's recipe is very similar but it's filled with apples instead and perfect for Fall and Thanksgiving parties.
How to make apple turnovers?
- Cut puff pastry squares.
- Fill them with apple pie filling.
- Seal edges.
- Brush egg wash.
- Sprinkle sanding sugar.
More Apple Desserts
Since it's Fall, here are all the other ways you can enjoy that surplus of apples:
- Chocolate Caramel Apples
- Old Fashioned Applesauce Cake
- Apple Pie Cake
- Easy Homemade Apple Pie
- Homemade Apple Pie Filling
- Easy Apple Cake With Cake Mix
- Easy Caramel Apple Pie
- Mini Apple Strudel Recipe
- Fall Themed Tiered Apple Cake
Do homemade apple pie turnovers need to be refrigerated?
No, they don't need to be refrigerated. You can leave them in a covered box at room temperature for up to 2 days and they would still taste fresh.
Why is turnover called a turnover?
That's because it is made by filling pastry dough with a fruit-based filling and then folding/ turning over the dough to seal it.
How to defrost puff pastry?
Remove the puff pastry from freezer and let it thaw in the fridge overnight. Another option is to remove it from the freezer and let it thaw on the kitchen counter at room temperature for about 30 minutes.
What pastry dough to use for turnovers?
I like to use pre-made puff pastry because it's convenient and quick. However, you can also make easy apple turnover with pie crust, phyllo dough, crescent roll dough (crescent roll apple turnovers), bread dough and even biscuit dough.
You can also buy any of these doughs at the store or make them from scratch.
- Make mini turnovers- Cut out smaller square pieces of puff pastry and make these treats bite-sized.
- Add nuts- Such as roughly chopped pecans, walnuts or pistachios.
- Add cream cheese- Add a little cream cheese, along with the apple pie filling to create an apple cheesecake filling.
- Add caramel- Drizzle some thick caramel sauce on top of baked turnovers or you can also add some caramel bits in the filling.
- Add chocolate- Toss some white chocolate in the puffs or you can also drizzle some melted white chocolate on baked puffs at the end.
- Try other pie filling flavors– Such as Raspberry Pie Filling or Peach Pie Filling or Strawberry Pie Filling or Blueberry Pie Filling and even Lemon Curd.
Tips and Techniques
- Egg wash and sanding sugar is optional- But highly recommended because it adds a wonderful crunch and looks just like bakery-style turnovers.
- Don't add too much filling- If you over-fill, the filling will leak out during baking.
- Make ahead instructions- you can cut our puff pastry squares, fill them with apple filling, seal them and store in the fridge until you are ready to bake them.
- How to store turnovers? Can they be frozen? They can be stored in a sealed container at room temperature for up to days. They cannot be frozen because they loose their crispy, flaky texture when they thaw.
- Seal edges and corners tightly– Because this also prevents the filling from leaking out during baking.
- Store-bought or homemade pie filling filling– Either can be used. If you are short on time, canned filling works just as well. However, don't use sugar-free fillings because they seem to have an odd bitter after-taste.
Easy Apple Turnover
- 1 Egg Large
- 1 tablespoon Water
- ½ cup Sanding sugar Optional
- Unroll pastry sheets and cut each sheet into 4 equal square pieces.
- Spoon apple pie filling int the corner of each square.
- Sprinkle some cinnamon and sugar on top of the filling.
- Fold the pastry diagonally from one corner to the other in a triangle shape, enclosing the filling inside.
- Use a fork to press and seal the edges together OR you can just pinch all along the edges tightly, which is what I did.
- Place them on a cookie tray, lined with parchment paper.
- Optional: In a small mixing bowl, whisk together egg and water. Brush this on ton top of each pastry. Sprinkle sanding sugar on top.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for about 20-25 minutes or until pastry is golden brown. Enjoy!
- Read all my tips above.
- Leftovers can be stored in a covered cardboard box at room temperature for up to 2 days.
Until next time, tata my lovelies!