Easy Apple Crumble Pie
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Quick and easy apple crumble pie recipe, homemade with simple ingredients. A flaky, buttery pie crust, loaded with juicy apple filling and crunchy crumble topping with oats. Also known as apple crumb pie or Dutch apple pie or apple pie crumble.
Both of them get rave reviews and even people who have never ever baked in their lives can make them without any problems! It’s the perfect Thanksgiving dessert and an awesome way to use up a surplus of apples.
More Classic Pie Recipes
- Easy Pumpkin Pie (5 Ingredients)
- Easy Pecan Pie
- Chocolate Pecan Pie Bars
- Easy Peach Pie
- Easy Cherry Pie
- Easy Blueberry Pie
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie (No Bake)
- Lemon Meringue Pie
- Easy French Silk Pie
How to make apple crumble pie (apple crumb pie)?
- Prepare pie crust– Bake it and let it cool down.
- Add filling– Add homemade or store-bought filling.
- Add crumb topping– Mix together a coarse mixture of oats, flour, sugar, cinnamon, butter. Sprinkle it on top of the filling.
- Bake– Bake until juices are bubbly and topping is golden brown.
- Enjoy– Let it cool down, drizzle caramel sauce (optional) and cut slices.
What is the difference between a Dutch Apple pie and French Apple Pie?
The Dutch version is an apple pie with crumb topping. The French version is very similar but based on my research, it also has raisins and nuts in the filling.
What are the best apples for baking pies?
Granny Smith, McIntosh, Honeycrisp, Golden Delicious, Gala apples are best. Use a combination of them, if you like.
Ebooks by Cakewhiz
Pie crumble topping/Streusel topping
This topping is made by roughly mixing oats, flour, sugar, cinnamon and butter.
It can be used in many of pies! Berry crumble pie, blueberry crumble pie, blackberry crumble pie and peach crumble pie are very popular, especially during Summer. You can also make cranberry crumble pie during the Christmas holidays.
- Crumble pie crust– I used a simple store-bought frozen pie crust but you can also use this Oreo Pie Crust or this Graham Cracker Crust.
- Add toppings- You can enjoy the crumbly topping as is or you can take it up a notch and serve with some Homemade Whipped Cream or vanilla ice cream. A drizzle of Homemade Dulce De Leche or Homemade Caramel Sauce is also a delicious addition.
- Add nuts and dried fruits– In the topping and/or the filling too for an added crunch.
- Add other spices and extracts- Such as vanilla, orange, cinnamon, nutmeg, pumpkin pie spice, ginger, allspice e.t.c.
- Deep dish apple pie– Use the same recipe but instead of a regular frozen pie crust, use a frozen deep-dish pie crust and 2 cans (21 ounces each) apple pie filling. Also, double the crumble topping ingredients.
- Make slab pie– Instead of a round pie dish, use a rectangle sheet pan.
Tips and Techniques
- Use glass pie pans or dull metal pie pans– That’s because dark pans absorb a lot of heat while baking and lead to too much browning. I usually use foil trays because it’s easy cleanup and they are easier to take over to family and friends too.
- Prevent the edges from burning or over-browning- Just cover the edges with strips of aluminum foil halfway through baking.
- Homemade pie filling vs. Store-bought pie filling– Either can be used!
- Homemade pie crust vs. Store-bought pie crust– I used store-bought pie crust today because it’s just so much easier but you can use a homemade version too.
- Make a thicker crumb layer- Just double all the crumb ingredients.
- Let it cool before slicing– For perfectly cut slices, let it cool down completely first.
- Use unsalted butter– Because this prevents the topping from becoming too salty.
- Notice the two temperatures- Bake the pie crust at a higher temperature of 450 degrees. Then, lower the temperature to 400 degrees for baking the filling and topping.
More Apple Desserts
- Apple Pie Cake
- Homemade Apple Pie Filling
- Easy Apple Turnover (With Puff Pastry)
- Chocolate Caramel Apples
- Old Fashioned Applesauce Cake
- Easy Apple Cake (With Cake Mix)
- Mini Apple Strudels
Easy Apple Crumble Pie
Quick and easy apple crumble pie recipe, homemade with simple ingredients. A flaky, buttery pie crust, loaded with juicy apple filling and crumble topping.
- 1 Pie crust 9 inch, Unbaked, Frozen shell
- 1 batch Homemade Apple Pie Filling Or use 21 oz. canned apple pie filling
- 1/2 cup Quick cooking oats
- 1/2 cup All-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Brown sugar
- 1 tsp Cinnamon powder
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg powder
- 1/2 cup Butter Unsalted, Room temperature, Cut into small cubes
Bake the pie crust at 450 degrees F for about 7 minutes or until light brown.
Remove from oven and let it cool for 5-10 minutes.
Pour pie filling into baked pie crust. Keep aside.
In a medium-sized mixing bowl, add oats, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and mix with a fork or pastry cutter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
Sprinkle crumble topping evenly on top of the pie filling.
Bake at 400 degrees F for 25-30 minutes or until juices are bubbly and topping is golden brown.
Remove from oven and let it cool.
Drizzle caramel sauce (optional).
Cut slices and enjoy!
- Read all my tips above.
- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Until next time, tata my lovelies!