The best quick and easy chocolate chip pancakes recipe from scratch, homemade with simple ingredients in 20 minutes. Soft, fluffy and topped off with smooth and creamy chocolate syrup.
Back to school in our house was celebrated with these delicious fluffy pancakes. Kiddo gave it a big thumbs up! These are even better than the IHOP pancakes and I am seriously loving them even more than my Fluffy Cinnamon Pancakes.
The best homemade chocolate chip pancake recipe ever!
Requires only a handful of ingredients that I bet you already have in your pantry and never fails. You will end up with the best fluffy texture every single time!
How to make chocolate chip pancakes?
- Prepare dry mixture- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar.
- Prepare wet mixture- Mix together egg, milk, butter.
- Mix- Dump wet mixture into dry mixture.
- Add chocolate chips- Gently stir them in. Don't over-mix!
- Cook- Drop small amounts of batter on a hot griddle. Let the top bubble. Then, flip and cook the other side.
- Enjoy- Top it off with chocolate syrup or anything else you like and serve immediately.
How to freeze pancakes?
Once the pancakes cool down completely, place them in a sealed airtight freezer bag or container. When you are ready to enjoy them, heat them in the toaster or microwave.
How do you know the pan or griddle is hot enough for pancakes?
Temperature is key! If pan is too hot, your pancakes will overcook and burn and if if it's not hot enough, you will end up with raw, undercooked pancakes.
Do this little trick: Sprinkle a light splash of water on the hot pan. If it fizzles and evaporates immediately, pan is hot enough.
You can also also always test out the pan temperature with a small pancake. Drop batter on hot pan, cook, flip and it should be golden brown. Anything darker and the pan is too hot and temperature should be adjusted before proceeding further.
How do you know when pancakes are ready to be flipped?
When you pour batter on the pan, bubbles will form on the top. That's when it's ready to be flipped. Don't flip until the top is fully covered in bubbles. If you flip too quickly, it would make a mess.
How to add chocolate chips in pancakes?
There are 2 methods:
- Stir them into the batter- Gently mix in chocolate chips in the batter and then, drop batter on a hot pan, cook and flip.
- Sprinkle them- Drop batter on a hot pan and quickly sprinkle some chocolate chips on top, cook and flip.
The classic and most popular choice is maple syrup but you can get as creative as you like with some of these other ideas:
- Homemade whipped cream
- Ice cream
- Melted chocolate
- Warm Nutella or Nutella Syrup
- Warm peanut butter
- Warm Biscoff or cookie butter
- Caramel sauce
- Dulce de Leche
- Chocolate ganache
- Chocolate syrup
- Fruits (such as strawberry, raspberry, blackberry, blueberry, peaches, bananas)
- Chopped nuts
- Dried fruits
- Chopped up candy bars
- Jams and preserves such as this Easy Homemade Strawberry Jam
- Chocolate chips
- Flavored yogurt
- Dusting of powdered sugar
- Pie fillings such as Raspberry Pie Filling or Cherry Pie Filling or Blueberry Pie Filling or Peach Pie Filling
- Banana chocolate chip pancakes- Instead of mashing mixing in mashed bananas in the batter, I recommend serving pancakes with sliced bananas and chocolate syrup on top.
- Make them mini sized- Pour a smaller amount onto your pan and the cook both sides until golden brown.
- Recipe is versatile- Replace chocolate chips with fresh blueberries and a little orange zest and you will end up with blueberry pancakes. You can also omit all add-ins and keep it simple with a little vanilla extract.
Tips and Techniques
- Use mini chocolate chips- Because they melt in your mouth so much better than regular sized chocolate chips.
- What chocolate chips to use? This is entirely up to you. You can use semisweet, milk or even dark chocolate.
- What milk to use? I have made these with buttermilk and 2% and both yield great results.
- What flour to use? You must use all-purpose flour. No other flours ot combinations yield the same fluffy results.
- Make sure pan or griddle is hot- That's because it allows quick and even cooking.
- Serve immediately- For best flavor and texture.
- Don't over-mix batter- Because that creates very tough and dense pancakes.
- All ingredients should be at room temperature- This is optional but I highly recommend it because the ingredients blend together better and smoothly.
More easy breakfast recipes
Chocolate Chip Pancakes
- In a separate bowl, mix together melted butter, egg and milk until smooth.
- Add this wet mixture into the dry mixture and mix until just combined.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Heat a griddle or nonstick pan over medium heat and spray some oil.
- Pour ¼ cup batter on the hot pan and let it cook until the top becomes bubbly. Make sure you really dig deep, when scooping the batter to ensure you get some chocolate chips.
- Gently, flip it over and cook the other side until golden brown.
- Prepare the chocolate syrup now: In a large microwave-safe bowl, add chocolate chips and heavy cream. Heat and mix at 15 second increments until chocolate is fully melted into a smooth and creamy sauce. The sauce will thicken as it cools down. You can also add a little more heavy cream to thin it out to your desired consistency.
- Pour chocolate syrup and sprinkle additional chocolate chips on top of each pancake and serve immediately. Enjoy!
- Read all my tips above.
- Tastes best when served immediately but leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 2 day and can be reheated in the microwave.
Until next time, tata my lovelies!