Quick and easy chocolate waffles recipe, homemade with 4 simple ingredients. Starts off with chocolate cake mix. These cake mix waffles are crisp on the outside but light and airy on the inside. Great as dessert, breakfast or brinner (breakfast for dinner).
You can use this recipe to make an Easy Waffle Cake. It's fun to serve as dessert or even as an epic breakfast for Mother's day brunch.
Also, I genuinely believe this chocolate waffle recipe is better than many "from scratch" versions and it never fails! It's also very convenient because I bet you already have all the ingredients in your pantry.
How to make chocolate waffles?
- Prepare batter by mixing together eggs, water, oil, cake mix.
- Pour batter in waffle iron.
- Cover and cook.
- Add toppings.
- Serve immediately.
What is the difference between Belgian waffles and regular waffles and cake mix waffles?
Belgian waffles are lighter and crispier than regular waffles. Also, they are typically yeast-based, which helps create that perfect crispy texture. In many cases, beaten egg whites are also folded in for lightness. Regular cake mix waffles are not as airy but still crisp on the outside. They typically use leavening agents like baking powder or baking soda instead of yeast.
What is the difference between pancake and waffle batter?
The difference lies in the fat content. Waffle recipes usually contain a bit more butter or oil than pancakes, which gives it that authentic airy, fluffy, crispy texture. It also has a higher percentage of sugar for caramelization. Pancake batter, on the other hand has lower fat content and sugar content, which creates a soft and spongy texture.
- Brownie waffles- Use a brownie mix instead of cake mix. Add the ingredients, indicated on the box but also add 1 extra egg.
- Buttermilk waffles- Replace half the water quantity with buttermilk.
- Chicken and waffles- Use yellow cake mix instead of the chocolate one and serve it with fried chicken.
- Red velvet waffles- Use red velvet cake mix instead of the chocolate one. Rest of the instructions are the same.
- Chocolate chip waffles- Mix in ½ cup mini chocolate chips in the batter.
- Birthday waffles- Use funetti cake mix and top it off with whipped cream and sprinkles and perhaps, even a little birthday candle.
- Waffle toppings- The possibilities are endless. Try Homemade Whipped Cream with fresh fruits or berries, maple syrup and butter, scoop of ice cream or frozen yogurt, Homemade Caramel Sauce, honey, Homemade Dulce De Leche, fudge sauce, Nutella Syrup, melted peanut butter, almond butter or Nutella. A dusting of powdered sugar is a classic choice. You can even try Homemade Strawberry Jam.
Tips and Techniques
- Read your waffle iron instructions- Different brands of waffle irons require different amounts of batter to be poured in and they also have different cook times. Please red the instructions properly before you start to prevent batter from over-flowing and making a mess.
- What flavor of cake mix to use? Chocolate cake mix, Devil’s food cake mix, chocolate fudge cake mix all work well. However, you can get creative and use any flavor of cake mix you like.
- Brand of cake mixes– I have used these brands of cake mixes successfully: Pillsbury, Duncan Hines and Betty Crocker. If you try any generic store brands, I would love to hear your results.
- Don’t over-mix waffle batter– Because that will yield a tough waffles with an odd rubbery texture. Mix until all ingredients are just combined. Don’t worry if there are a few lumps.
- All ingredients must be at room temperature– That’s because they blend together smoothly and evenly.
- Oil vs. Butter– I have tried both, as well as shortening and margarine and noticed that all of them made very dense waffles. Oil gave the best light and airy texture.
- Grease waffle iron- Because this prevents sticking and burning. Use a simple nonstick cooking spray.
More breakfast recipes
- Easy Cherry Turnovers (With Puff Pastry)
- Homemade Granola
- Chocolate Crepes
- Mocha Pancakes with Mocha Syrup
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, water, oil and mix until smooth.
- Add cake mix and mix until just combined.
- Spray waffle maker with nonstick cooking spray.
- Pour batter in waffle iron. The amount of batter should be determined, based on your waffle iron instructions.
- Close and cook for 3- 4 minutes. Timing will vary, based on your waffle iron instructions.
- Read all my tips above.
- Tastes best when served immediately. Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 2 days but they will loose their crisp texture.
Until next time, tata my lovelies!