Use this cake decorating tutorial to make easy watermelon cupcakes with buttercream frosting. These pull apart cupcakes are fun to serve at Summer birthday parties and picnics.
I also want to point out that this is not a fresh watermelon cupcakes recipe. These are actually cupcakes decorated with icing. Then, they are arranged in a certain way to look like a watermelon.
More Watermelon Desserts
How to make watermelon cupcakes?
- Bake cupcakes- And let them cool completely.
- Make icing- And color it red, green and black.
- Pipe cupcakes- The outer rind will be green and the inner edible fruit will be red and black.
- Arrange them- To look like a watermelon and enjoy.
What is pull apart cupcake cake?
It’s an arrangement of cupcakes to create something big like a flower or a butterfly or anything else you like!
For my cupcake arrangement, the cupcakes with green icing represent the outer rind of the fruit and the cupcakes with red icing represent the juicy flesh.
Other watermelon cupcake ideas
- Make red cupcakes with mini chocolate chips and frost it with a swirl of green buttercream icing.
- Make little fondant watermelon toppers with Marshmallow Fondant. Stick those on top of frosted cupcakes.
Variations and Tips for Watermelon cupcakes
Make sure your icing is not too thick nor too thin- Because if it's thick, it will be hard to pipe and if it's thin, it will be too runny to create a proper design.
Make mini cupcakes- Using mini cupcake liners. The baking time will probably be shorter.
Red frosting is hard to make at home- It usually ends up looking dark pink. It needs to rest for a few days for the color to develop. If you are short on time, you can just buy pre-made red frosting.
Use gel colors instead of liquid food coloring to tint icing- Because the colors are vibrant and more concentrated plus the consistency of icing does not change.
Use another decorating tip- I used Tip 104 on these cupcakes but you can use any other tip you like.
Make sure cupcakes fully cool down before decorating- Because if you don't do this, the heat will melt the icing and make a sticky mess.
Refrigerate- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container for up to 3 days.
Freeze- Unfrosted cupcakes and frosting can be frozen separately in sealed containers. When you are ready to enjoy them, let them thaw overnight in the fridge and then, follow the decorating instructions below.
Make ahead instructions- These cupcakes can be baked and decorated 1 day in advance and stored in the fridge until you are ready to serve.
More Cupcake Decorating Tutorials
- Easy Poinsettia Cupcakes
- Snowflake Cupcakes (Winter Cupcakes)
- How to Make Fondant Daisies
- How to Make Fondant Pansies
- Fondant Bumblebee Cupcakes
Easy Watermelon Cupcakes (Pull Apart Cupcakes)
- Bake cupcakes and let them cool completely.
- Make frosting and divide it into separate bowls and color it red, green, black.
- Fill three separate piping bags with green, red and black colored frostings.
- Attach tip # 104 to the green and red piping bags.
- Attach tip # 3 to the black piping bag.
- Hold the red pining bag at a 45 degree angle along the edge of your cupcake. Squeeze the bag and pull towards yourself and you will end up with a red "petal."Continue to do this all around the cupcake until you have a full row of red petals. Then, work your way inwards and make another row of red petals. Finally, pipe a few petals in the center of the cupcake.
- To make the seeds, hold the black piping bag at a 45 degree angle.Squeeze the bag and then pull towards yourself.Do this a few times randomly on each red cupcake.
- Repeat step 6 on a few cupcakes but this time, use green icing. Don't pipe the black seeds on these green cupcakes.
- Arrange the cupcakes in the shape of a watermelon. Enjoy!
- Read all my tips above.
- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days.