Jalapeno Popper Stuffed Mushrooms
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Quick and easy stuffed mushrooms recipe/ jalapeno popper mushrooms- A 30 minute appetizer, made with simple ingredients and 3 types of cheese!
Continuing my love affair with jalapenos, I present these BITE SIZED jalapeno popper stuffed mushrooms.
They are ooey gooey, cheesy with a SPICY kick and they are always a hit at parties.
I used mozzarella, cheddar and cream cheese in these jalalapeno stuffed mushrooms but feel free to play around with other cheeses that YOU like!
How to make stuffed mushrooms?
- Prepare the stuffing by combing together cream cheese, mozzarella cheese, cheddar cheese, salt, pepper, garlic powder, chopped jalapenos.
- Stuff mixture into mushrooms (whose stems and gills have been removed).
- Sprinkle more cheese and add a jalapeno slice on top of each mushroom.
- Bake, garnish and enjoy.
Do you cover stuffed mushrooms when baking?
No, you do not cover them
How long do you cook large stuffed mushrooms?
They should be cooked for about 25 minutes or until mushrooms are tender.
How long do you bake stuffed mushrooms in the oven?
They should be baked for about 15-20 minutes but if you are baking at a lower temperature, you may need to bake for 25 minutes for the mushrooms to become tender.
What cheese is used for stuffed mushrooms?
Mostly, the following cheeses are used:
- Cream cheese
- Mozzarella cheese
- Parmesan cheese
- Cheddar cheese
What temperature do you bake stuffed mushrooms?
It’s best baked at 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Some people prefer baking them at 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
Tips for best stuffed mushrooms:
- ADJUST the amount of spice and seasonings in these stuffed mushroom caps, based on your preference.
- Use low fat cheeses to make “healthy” stuffed mushrooms.
- For MAXIMUM flavor and creaminess, use full fat cheeses.
- DON’T wash the mushrooms because they will absorb too much water. Instead, wipe them clean with a damp towel.
- Remove the seeds of jalapenos to REDUCE the spice. I don’t remove them because I like the spicy kick.
- This is one of those appetizers that tastes best, when served FRESH and leftovers don’t taste that great. I am personally not too fond of reheating leftovers the next day. It just doesn’t taste the same.
- REMOVE the gills of the mushrooms because that makes more space for the stuffing and also you don’t want to see that black mess when biting into them.
- These mushrooms can be baked or grilled but remember to use bigger portobello mushrooms instead of button mushrooms for grilling so that they don’t fall apart.
Other stuffed mushroom recipes/ variations:
- Vegan stuffed mushrooms: Follow the same recipe below but use vegan cheeses.
- Bacon stuffed mushrooms: Add 1/3 cup crumbled cooked bacon in the cheese mixture and also sprinkle come crumbled bacon on top of each mushroom as garnish.
- Spinach stuffed mushrooms: Mix 1/3 cup frozen (thawed and drained of excess water) into the cheese mixture.
- Stuffed portobello mushrooms/ portabella mushrroms: Use this low carb portobello mushroom pizza recipe.
- Cheese stuffed mushrooms: Stuff mushrooms with all your favorite cheeses and bake.
- Vegetarian stuffed mushrooms: Add your favorite cooked veggies in the cheese mixture like spinach, corn, finely chopped carrots, bean, onions.
- Seafood/ Crab stuffed mushrooms: Add 1 cup crabmeat and 1/4 cup finely chopped onions in the cheese mixture below. Replace cheddar cheese with mozzarella cheese. Add more seasonings of your choice. Stuff into mushrooms and bake.
- Italian stuffed mushrooms: Replace cheddar cheese with mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese and use 1 tbsp Italian seasoning. Stuff into mushrooms and bake.
- Sausage stuffed mushrooms: Cook Italian ground sausage first on the stovetop, using your favorite seasonings. Drain grease. Mix sausage together with parmesan cheese, breadcrumbs and lots of parsley. Stuff into mushrooms and bake.
Other jalapeno recipes:
- Jalapeno Popper Stuffed Chicken Breast
- Jalapeno Avocado Pasta
- Jalapeno Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Jalapeno Beef
- Jalapeno Chicken
- Jalapeno Chicken Puffs
- Jalapeno Pineapple Rice
Jalapeno Popper Stuffed Mushrooms
- In a mixing bowl, add cream cheese, 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, mozzarella cheese, finely chopped jalapenos, salt, pepper, garlic powder. Mix until fully combined. Keep aside.
- Wipe mushrooms clean with a damp towel. Remove stems and spoon out and discard the gills.
- Stuff mushroom caps with the cheese mixture.
- Sprinkle cheddar cheese on top and place a jalapeno slice on top of each mushroom.
- Place them on a lightly oiled baking tray.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until mushrooms are tender.
- Garnish with parsley and enjoy!
- Read all my tips above.
- Tastes best when served fresh but leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 1 day. For best results, it should be reheated in the oven again.
Until next time, tata my lovelies!