Quick and easy portobello mushroom pizza ready in 20 minutes. It’s a vegan, gluten free, low carb and healthy alternative to regular pizza.
The first time I had a portobello mushroom pizza (no crust) was a few years ago at a restaurant in Miami.
I fell in love with this healthy pizza instantly and remember eating TWO all by myself…lol.
Instead of a regular pizza dough, you are using portobello mushrooms for pizza crust.
Honestly, this gluten free pizza is so much better than that weird cauliflower crust pizza I tried once, which was downright awful! I can’t understand why it’s so popular.
This quick and easy portobello mushroom pizza recipe is:
- Quick and easy to make- Ready in just 20 minutes.
- Gluten free
- Low carb
- Made and with just 3 basic ingredients PLUS your choice of toppings (optional).
Here are some TIPS for making portobello mushroom pizza (low carb recipe):
- You can use whatever type of cheese you like. I prefer mozzarella and some cheddar but I have a few friends who prefer portobello mushroom pizza with goat cheese. If you want to make vegan portobello mushroom pizza, make sure you are using vegan mozzarella cheese.
- To keep this recipe LOW CARB, make sure you are using a low sugar or no sugar pizza sauce.
- You can also make portobello mushroom pizza with pesto sauce by swapping out the tomato sauce for pesto. It’s a nice change.
- For any MEAT lovers out there, you can easily add your favorite meaty toppings and make portobello mushroom pizza with ground turkey, chicken or pepperoni.
- I only used olives in this pizza today but you can use any of your favorite vegetable toppings: onions, green peppers, jalapeños, broccoli, cherry tomatoes e.t.c.
- If you are making portobello mushroom pizza with spinach (especially frozen spinach), make sure to thaw it and squeeze out all the excess water.
- DON’T serve these pizzas as appetizers. Portobello mushrooms are huge and not bite sized.
- DON’T over-bake or else the mushrooms will release a lot of water and make a huge mess.
- Oven must be hot and preheated at 400 degrees when you place the tray inside.
- These portobello pizzas taste great when served fresh. I don’t recommend refrigerating leftovers.
How do I cook portobello mushrooms in the oven?
Place the mushrooms with all your toppings on a cookie tray that has been sprayed generously with oil. Then, bake at a high temperature (at broil or grill setting) for about 10 minutes.
How long do I cook portobello mushrooms in the oven?
Don’t cook for too long. Cook until the cheese melts and is golden brown, which is about 10 minutes.
How do you clean a portobello mushroom cap?
Preparing portobello mushrooms for pizza can be tricky but NOT difficult at all. I suggest removing the stem with a knife and wiping everything clean with a damp paper towel. I DON’T recommend washing them under running water or soaking them in water. However, if you do wash them under running water, you must let the mushrooms dry completely before making this pizza or else you will have a watery mess during baking.
What kind of mushrooms are used on pizza?
Big mushrooms like portobello mushrooms are highly recommended for this recipe.
How to make portobello mushroom pizza?
It’s a very SIMPLE process. Start off by cleaning the portobello mushrooms. Then, remove the stem. Place them on a cookie tray (sprayed with oil), top facing down. Spread pizza sauce and top off with your choice of vegetables and lots of cheese and a pinch of Italian seasoning. Bake and then sprinkle some parmesan cheese and additional seasoning or crushed red peppers. Enjoy your portobello pizza!
If you liked this post, you may like some of these other Italian easy dinner recipe ideas:
- 4 Portobello mushrooms
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- ⅓ cup you choice of toppings (I used olives and red peppers)
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 2 tbsp Italian seasoning
- ½ cup parmesan cheese (for topping)
- 1 tsp crushed red peppers (for topping- optional)
- Clean the mushrooms and remove the stems.
- Place the mushrooms on a cookie tray sprayed with oil. Make sure the tops are facing down.
- Spread pizza sauce on each mushroom.
- Top off with your choice of vegetables/ meats and lots of mozzarella cheese.
- Sprinkle some Italian seasoning on top of the pizzas.
- Place the tray in the middle rack of the oven and bake at broiled/grill settings for 10 minutes or until the cheese has melted and is slightly golden brown.
- Remove tray from oven and top off each portobello pizza with parmesan cheese, additional Italian seasoning and crushed red peppers.
- Use low fat mozzarella cheese or vegan cheese to make these even healthier.
- Tastes best when served fresh.
Well, that’s all for today.
Until next time, tata my lovelies!