Jalapeno Garlic Mashed Potatoes Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Quick and easy jalapeno garlic mashed potatoes recipe. These creamy garlic mashed red potatoes are loaded with sour cream, cream cheese and is an easy side.
As most of you know, I LOVE jalapenos, which has given rise to this jalapeno garlic mashed potatoes recipe.
I took my SIMPLE mashed potatoes recipe and did a few tweaks and voila! A perfectly easy side dish for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner parties.
My family and friends always come back for seconds and thirds and the recipe is pretty much always REQUESTED.
Ebooks by Cakewhiz
Here are some TIPS for the best CREAMY garlic mashed potatoes recipe:
- You can remove the skins on potatoes or leave them on, based on your preference. I don’t like it and REMOVE them.
- REMOVE the seeds from the jalapenos or else it will become too spicy.
- ADJUST the amount of jalapenos and garlic, based on your flavor preference.
- DON’T make garlic mashed potatoes with garlic powder or garlic salt because the flavor is just not the same. You must USE real garlic!
- Use UNSALTED butter or else these potatoes will become very salty.
- Use FULL FAT cream cheese and sour cream for super creamy mashed potatoes.
- This recipe can easily be DOUBLED or TRIPLED to serve a larger crowd.
- To make roasted garlic mashed potatoes, roast the garlic first and mix that into the boiled potatoes.
- To make jalapeno popper mashed potatoes or cheesy cheddar jalapeno mashed potatoes, stir in a 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese into the mashed potato mixture too.
Can you freeze garlic mashed potatoes?
Yes, you can freeze them in sealed freezer bags for up to 1 month. You can heat in the microwave or stovetop. I prefer to heat them in a non-stick pan in on the stovetop on low heat. Add additional butter or milk if potatoes start to dry out.
Can garlic mashed potatoes be made ahead?
Yes, they can absolutely be made ahead. Prior to serving, just heat them in a non-stick saucepan over low heat and add additional butter or milk to smooth it out, if it starts to feel dry.
Can you boil potatoes with garlic?
Yes, you can absolutely do that. I like to saute garlic in some butter and then add it into the mashed potatoes but boiling together will work great too.
How do you make really good mashed potatoes? How to make garlic mashed potatoes?
The process is very SIMPLE. Start off by peeling red potatoes and cutting them into cubes. Boil them in salted water until they are soft and tender. Then, drain the water and keep the potatoes aside in a large bowl. While the potatoes are boiling, you should use that time to make the jalapeno mixture => Melt butter in a non-stick pan and add garlic, jalapenos and green onions until soft and fragrant. Add this mixture into the bowl of boiled potatoes. Add cream cheese, sour cream, salt and pepper (as per your liking) and mix everything together with a potato masher until smooth and creamy. Enjoy!
Well, that’s all for today.
If you liked this recipe for garlic mashed poatatoes with cream cheese and sour cream, you may like some of these other jalapeno recipes too…
Jalapeno Garlic Mashed Potatoes Recipe
- 5 Red potatoes Peeled and cut into cubes
- Salt To taste
- 1/2 Cup Butter Unsalted, Softened, Divided
- 5 Green onions Finely chopped
- 1-2 Jalapenos Finely chopped, Seeds removed
- 2-3 Cloves Garlic Finely chopped
- 1/2 Cup Sour cream
- 1/2 Cup Cream cheese
- Pepper To taste
- In a large pot, add potatoes, salt and water and bring to a boil.
- Then, let it simmer until potatoes are soft and tender (Approximately 15 minutes).
- Drain water and transfer potatoes into a deep bowl.
- While the potatoes were boiling, use that time to prepare the jalapeno mixture: Heat 1/4 cup butter in a large non-stick pan on medium high heat. Add jalapenos, green onions, garlic and mix everything together. Cook for about 3 minutes until fragrant.
- Add this jalapeno mixture, remaining 1/4 cup butter, sour cream, cream cheese, salt and pepper into the bowl of boiled potatoes.
- Mix everything together with a potato masher until lumps are gone and everything is smooth and creamy.
- Garnish with shredded cheddar cheese and jalapeno slices. Enjoy!
- Read all my tips above.
- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 2 days.
Until next time, tata my lovelies.