Learn how to make the best, quick and easy chocolate covered strawberries recipe, homemade with simple ingredients. They are prepared in 20 minutes and make a delicious dessert or snack for parties and a wonderful edible homemade gift.
This is one of the most popular "go to" treats at my dessert tables. Not only do they look elegant, but they also taste delicious! Add them along with my Strawberry Cookies and Strawberry Coconut Bars to your next party.
Table of contents
- How to make chocolate covered strawberries recipe?
- What is the best chocolate for melting and dipping strawberries?
- How to melt chocolate for dipping?
- What do you put on best chocolate covered strawberries? How to decorate them?
- How to store chocolate covered strawberries? Do you keep them in fridge? Can you freeze them?
- How long do chocolate covered strawberries last?
- Tips and techniques
- More strawberry desserts
How to make chocolate covered strawberries recipe?
- Melt chocolate- Until smooth and creamy. Use a microwave or double boiler.
- Dip strawberries- Hold strawberry by the stem and dip it in the bowl of melted chocolate.
- Drip excess chocolate- Lift the strawberry and let the extra chocolate drip into the bowl.
- Add toppings- Place them on a tray, lined with parchment paper or wax paper and sprinkle any topping you like.
- Enjoy- Allow the chocolate to set and harden.
What is the best chocolate for melting and dipping strawberries?
This is entirely up to you. I recommend using a brand whose flavor you like best. Some options are chocolate chips, chocolate bars, baking chocolate and even chocolate candy melts.
That being said, the end result would only be as good as the quality of the ingredients being used. My favorite high quality brands are Godiva, Ghirardelli and Schraffen Berger. Nestle Toll House chocolate chips and chunks are also very good. These are also the best chocolates to melt.
How to melt chocolate for dipping?
There are two ways that you can melt chocolate:
Double Boiler: Fill a large pot with water and bring it to a low boil. Place a heat-safe mixing bowl on top of the pot and fill with chocolate. Mix the chocolate until it is completely melted.
Microwave: Place a bowl of chocolate in the microwave and heat it. Stir chocolate every 30 seconds until it smooth and completely melted.
What do you put on best chocolate covered strawberries? How to decorate them?
Once you coat the strawberries in chocolate, be sure to add toppings quickly before the chocolate sets and hardens. Here are some topping ideas:
Chocolate chips- Mini size works best.
Candy bars- They need to be roughly chopped.
Chocolate curls- Use a vegetable peeler to make chocolate curls at home out of any solid chocolate bar and just sprinkle them on top of the melted chocolate.
Peppermint- Crush some candy canes and use that.
Nuts- Such as peanuts, pecans, pistachios, almonds, walnuts. Make sure they are roasted and roughly chopped.
Sprinkles- There are so many varieties to choose from.
Coconut- Toasted is best! Can be sweetened or unsweetened and you can use shredded or desiccated.
Crushed cookies- Such as Oreos or graham crackers.
How to store chocolate covered strawberries? Do you keep them in fridge? Can you freeze them?
The best way to store them is to keep them in a cool area on your countertop, away from heat and moisture.
You can also store them on a baking tray, in the fridge for 1 day, uncovered.
You can not freeze them. Once the strawberries thaw, they will release moisture and make the chocolate sweat.
How long do chocolate covered strawberries last?
They are best enjoyed within 1 to 2 days and taste the freshest on the day they are prepared. The longer they sit in the fridge, the more likely they are to release moisture and become sticky and messy.
Stuff them- Cheesecake filling or Homemade Whipped Cream would be a nice surprise. Remove the stem and hollow out the middle of the strawberries
Chocolate strawberry cake- Use them to decorate any of your favorite cakes. They are especially great on my Strawberry Shortcake Cake and Strawberry Cupcakes or even this Strawberry Shortcake (With Bisquick Mix)
White chocolate berries- Replace semisweet or dark chocolate with melted white chocolate for a sweeter taste.
Tips and techniques
Strawberries must be completely dry- Once you wash them, pat them dry really well because if they are even slightly wet, the chocolate won't stick to them.
Strawberries must be at room temperature- Take them out of the refrigerator and leave them out on your countertop until they are at room temperature.
Pick the best strawberries- The freshest strawberries should be red to the stem, no bruises, and firm to the touch.
Keep a close eye on the chocolate- Make sure it doesn't burn when you are melting it or else you will end up with little burnt bits as well as an odd flavor and smell. Since there is no way to fix burnt chocolate, you will have to start all over again.
Work quickly- Once the strawberries are dipped in melted chocolate, shake off excess and place them on a tray and add your toppings quickly before the chocolate sets. If it sets, nothing will stick to it.
Why is the chocolate on my strawberries looking dull, streaky and gray? That's because the chocolate wasn't tempered properly.
More strawberry desserts
- Easy Strawberry Strudels
- Strawberry Buttercream Frosting
- Homemade Strawberry Jam
- Strawberry Pie Filling
More Chocolate Covered Desserts
- Chocolate Covered Potato Chips (2 Ingredients)
- Chocolate Covered Graham Crackers (No Bake)
- Chocolate Covered Oreos (Dipped Oreos)
- Frozen Chocolate Covered Bananas
- Chocolate Covered Raspberries
- Chocolate Covered Pretzels
- Chocolate Covered Blueberries
Easy Chocolate Covered Strawberries
- 30 Strawberries Fresh, Washed, Patted dry
- 2 cups Melted chocolate Dark, milk, semisweet or milk
- 2 cups Toppings Optional: Nuts, sprinkles, shredded coconut, mini chocolate chips e.t.c.
- Melt chocolate in a double boiler or microwave until smooth.
- Hold a strawberry by the stem and dip it into a bowl of melted chocolate.
- Lift it and let excess chocolate fall back into the bowl.
- Place it on tray, lined with parchment paper or wax paper.
- Optional: Sprinkle toppings of your choice on top of the strawberry, before the chocolate sets.
- Repeat these steps for remaining strawberries.
- Allow the chocolate to set and harden and room temperature and enjoy!
- Read all my tips above.
- Leftovers can be stored in a tray, uncovered, for up to 2 days.