Quick and easy caramel latte recipe, homemade with simple ingredients. Rich, creamy, with perfectly balanced coffee and caramel flavors. Serve it hot or cold.
What would make a cup of morning Joe even better? A little addition of caramel, of course! With this recipe, you can do that in the comfort of your home instead of having to travel to the nearest Starbucks or coffee shop. Just like my Homemade Eggnog Latte and Gingerbread Latte recipes, this beverage will bring warmth on a cold, snowy Winter day.
How to make caramel latte?
- Make caramel milk- In a nonstick saucepan, mix together milk, caramel sauce, and sugar.
- Brew strong coffee- Pour ½ cup in each mug.
- Add caramel milk- Slowly, pour the milk mixture you prepared earlier.
- Froth milk- Froth warm milk and spoon the milk foam on top of each mug.
- Enjoy- Drizzle caramel sauce on top and dig in!
What is the difference between caramel macchiato and caramel latte?
The difference is the location of the milk, foam, and the espresso/coffee. In a macchiato, you add milk first, followed by milk, foam, and then espresso/coffee. However, in a latte, you add espresso/coffee first, followed by milk and then milk foam.
Iced caramel latte- Chill this beverage in the fridge and then, pour it over ice for a refreshing taste. Top off with whipped cream instead of mill foam.
Caramel brûlée latte- Sprinkle some sugar on top of the milk froth and use a small torch to caramelize the sugar.
Caramel mocha latte- Add some chocolate chips in the saucepan, along with the caramel sauce.
Use salted caramel- This gives it a sweet and salty flavor, which is incredible!
Topping options- Chocolate shavings, Homemade Whipped Cream, drizzle of caramel sauce, cinnamon powder, milk froth, light dusting of cocoa powder or espresso powder.
Make it healthier- Use 2%, 1%, or fat-free milk. However, it will not be as rich and creamy.
Add alcohol- Make a spiked latte by adding some Vodka or a few shots of Kahlua or rum.
Use other milk– Such as coconut milk, almond milk, oat milk. The flavor may change slightly, based on your milk choice. Please note that some of these non-dairy vegan milks don't froth as well.
Use other sweeteners– Either brown sugar or granulated sugar can be used in this recipe. However, this latte can be sweetened with honey or even maple syrup but the flavor may change slightly.
Tips and Techniques
Homemade caramel sauce vs. Store bought caramel sauce- Either can be used. I used my homemade version. If you are using a store-bought version, make sure it's high quality and thick.
Use full fat whole milk- Because this ensures the creamiest results.
Brew strong coffee- Because this will allow the strong coffee flavor to come through the caramel flavor. If it's lightly brewed, you will only get a hint of coffee flavor.
What type of coffee should I use? Dark roast coffees have a more strong and concentrated flavor. Espresso powder is another great option.
Can I save this for later? It is best to serve this immediately. You could store in the fridge for 2 days and reheat it in the microwave.
What are some ways to brew coffee? You can use a Keurig, regular coffee maker or a French press.
Adjust amount of sugar- This is based on your preference. Add as much or as little as you like.
Watch the heat- Use medium heat and keep a close eye to make sure the caramel milk mixture doesn't boil over.
Homemade Caramel Latte
- Add milk, caramel sauce and sugar in a nonstick saucepan.
- Heat it over medium heat, stirring constantly until sugar is dissolved completely and mixture comes to a boil. Be careful and don't let the milk boil over the saucepan. Keep aside.
- Pour ½ cup hot coffee in each mug or cup.
- Slowly, pour the caramel milk mixture mixture on top.
- Use a frother to froth some warm milk and spoon the milk foam on top of each mug or top off with whipped cream.
- Drizzle some caramel sauce on top, if you like. Enjoy!
- Read all my tips above.
- Tastes best when served immediately but leftovers can be stored in the fridge for 2 days and reheated in the microwave.
Until next time, tata my lovelies!