The best, classic, old fashioned, easy apple crisp recipe, homemade with simple ingredients. Loaded with cinnamon, nutmeg, fresh apples and crispy oat topping. Ready in 1 hour!
This recipe combines all the Fall favorites of apples and warm flavors without a huge time commitment. It's perfect for a special treat after visiting the orchards this season, or for the upcoming holidays. These Slow Cooker Fried Apples and Easy Apple Crumble Pie are two other delicious ways to use up an excess of apples!
This Is The Best Crisp!
- Made with simple ingredients
- Ready in only 1 hour!
- Packed with warm spices and flavors
- Buttery crumble topping that's irresistible
How To Make Best Apple Crisp Recipe From Scratch?
- Make apple mixture- Mix together apples, granulated sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon, nutmeg and spread it in a baking dish.
- Make topping- Mix together flour, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon powder, nutmeg, butter and spread it over the apples.
- Bake- Until topping is golden brown.
- Enjoy- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or caramel sauce.
What's The Difference Between Apple Crisp And Apple Brown Betty?
The difference is in the topping! The topping on the Apple Brown Betty is made from flour or even breadcrumbs, butter, sugar, and spices. The topping on a crisp is made from a crumb or streusel topping which often contains oats.
Apple Crisp Topping With Oats
- Combine- Flour, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon powder, nutmeg, butter cubes.
- Use a pastry cutter or a large fork- Cut the butter into the flour/oat mixture until you have a crumbly mixture.
What To Serve With Old Fashioned Apple Crisp?
Refrigerate- In a sealed container for up to 2 days.
Freeze- I do not recommend freezing because the crisp topping will become soft and soggy when thawed.
Reheat- In the microwave or oven.
Make it gluten free- Use gluten free oats and gluten free flour in place of regular flour oats and flour.
Homemade crisp without oats- Simply omit the oats and make more of a cake-like topping with the flour and other listed ingredients.
Add dried fruits- Such as cranberries, raisins or even cherries.
Vegan/healthy crisp- Simply use vegan butter and use coconut sugar in place of brown sugar for a healthier version.
Add spices and extracts- Such as all spice, ginger, apple pie spice, pumpkin pie spice, vanilla, orange, bourbon or amaretto extracts.
Apple pear crisp- Add a mixture of both fruits for additional flavor plus both these fruits compliment each other very well.
Add nuts- Such as roughly chopped toasted walnuts, pecans, cashews, or almonds.
Tips And Techniques
How do you keep apple crisp from getting soggy? Serve it immediately! This is the most effective way to prevent the dish from becoming soggy since it's the crispiest, fresh out of the oven. The longer it sits, the softer the topping becomes. Also, let it cool at room temperature and don’t cover it with foil paper because that will make it soggy.
Why is my crisp dry? The ingredients were probably not measured properly. Not enough liquid/butter/ fresh fruits were added. Use measuring cups and measuring spoons. Another reason for dry crumble is over-baking. If it’s over-baked, all the moisture evaporates and dries up the dessert.
Make a thicker crisp topping- Simply double the ingredients to make a thicker topping.
Use old-fashioned oats- Do not use quick cooking oats because they create a different softer texture in the topping.
Should my topping mix be dry and crumbly? Yes, do not add any liquid. The topping should be dry and crumbly when mixed properly.
Use unsalted butter- Because this prevents the dessert from becoming too salty.
Use cold butter- Do not melt or soften the butter. It should be cold so that you can cut it into the topping with a pastry cutter or a fork to create a crumbly mixture.
What are the best apples for a crisp? Granny Smith, McIntosh, Honeycrisp, Golden Delicious, and Gala apples are best. Use a combination for best flavor.
More Apple Desserts
- Sauteed Cinnamon Apples (30 Mins)
- Crockpot Apple Butter
- Baked Apple Cider Donuts
- Apple Fritters (Only 30 Mins)
- Easy Apple Turnovers (With Puff Pastry)
- Apple Pie Cake
- Easy Homemade Apple Pie Recipe
Best Apple Crisp
- In a large mixing bowl, add apples, granulated sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon, nutmeg. Mix to combine everything.
- Spread this apple mixture in a greased baking dish (8x8 or 7x11).
- In another mixing bowl, add flour, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon powder, nutmeg, butter cubes. Use a pastry cutter or a large fork to cut the butter into the flour/oat mixture until you have a crumbly mixture. Do not add milk or water to thin it out.
- Spread this topping over the apples.
- Bake 350 degrees F for 40-50 minutes or until top is golden brown and apple juices and sugar is bubbling.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream and a drizzle of caramel sauce.
- Read all my tips above.
- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 2 days. If you want to enjoy it warm, reheat in the microwave.