Use this quick and easy cake decorating tutorial to make Easter bunny cake topper with marshmallow fondant. Great for Easter parties. No fancy tools needed!
Easter is still a few weeks away but I simply couldn't wait to share this Easter bunny cake topper tutorial. I also have many Easter Cake Ideas and tutorials that you can check out for inspiration, if you are looking for something different. For a larger Easter cake, make this Easter Bunny Cake.
I know there are many rabbit cake decorations to choose from during this time but some of these are so complicated. This simple fondant cake is the easiest version I have ever seen or made.
How to make bunny cake topper?
- Bake cakes- And let them cool.
- Make frosting– Add color, if you like.
- Decorate- Cover entire cake with sprinkles.
- Make topper- Using fondant.
- Assemble- Stick a lollipop stick behind topper and push into top of the cake.
Variations for Easter bunny cake topper
Make 2 fondant bunnies- Make a boy and a girl and give the boy a tuxedo and the girl a tiara.
Use other colors- For the topper and even the sprinkles.
Filling ideas- Try jams and preserves, peanut butter, Nutella, ganache, caramel sauce, dulce de leche, thick custard or pudding, fresh fruits, chopped up candy bars.
Try other frosting flavors– Such as Maraschino Cherry Frosting which is perfect for Spring.
Make a larger cake- This was a small cake but you can make an 8 inch or 9 inch cake and just make a larger topper.
Make layer cake- Bake a 6 inch cake and stack the smaller 4 inch cake on top of this large one. Use dowels for support.
Make pinata cake- Hollow out the center of the cake and fill it with egg candies or colorful sprinkles for a fun surprise.
Tips and Techniques
Don’t decorate warm cakes- Because the heat will cause the icing to melt into a sticky mess.
For faster drying- Use gum paste or 50/50 (mixture of half fondant and half gum paste). I highly recommend aiming a small table fan at the topper overnight so that it dries quicker.
Be gentle when covering cake in sprinkles- Because if you press the sprinkles too hard, it will make dents in the frosting. There is no way to fix this.
How to prevent cakes from sticking to pans? Line pans with parchment paper and grease/flour pans very well.
Keep decorated cake away from moisture- Because that will cause the fondant topper to become sticky and the sprinkles will start to bleed color.
The topper must be dry- If that's not the case, it will bend and curve and not hold its shape when you insert it into the cake.
Drying time of topper will vary- This truly depends on where you live and the humidity in your area. Higher humidity typically meals a slower dry time. Also, homemade marshmallow fondant dries slower than store-bought fondant.
Refrigerate- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days. However the fondant decorations will become slightly sticky and tacky from the moisture in the fridge.
Freeze- Unfrosted cakes can be stored in a sealed container for up to 1 month. When you are ready to enjoy it, let it thaw in the fridge overnight and then, decorate as per instructions below.
Make ahead instructions- This cake can be baked and decorated 1 day in advance and stored at room temperature until you are ready to serve.
More Easter Desserts/ Spring Desserts
- Easter Egg Cake
- Easter Chick Cupcakes
- Butterfly Cake
- Easter Chocolate Nest
- Ladybug Cupcakes
- Peeps Cake
- Pinata Cake (Robin Egg Cake)
Easy Easter Bunny Cake Topper
- Bake the cakes in greased and floured mini cake pans, lined with parchment paper.
- Allow them to cool completely.
- Remove cake from pans and discard parchment paper.
- Then, fill and frost each cake with lemon icing.
- Cover all the cakes in sprinkles and keep aside.
- Roll out blue fondant and use a circle cutter and heart cutter to cut out pieces.
- Use a knife to cut the heart piece in half and you will end up with two petal pieces.
- Cut out two small oval shaped pink fondant pieces. Stick them on top of the petal pieces. These will be the bunny's ears.
- Let's make all the facial features now: Cut out two small blue circles and poke little holes on them with a toothpick. Cut out a little pink triangle piece for the nose. Draw eyes on two round confetti sprinkles with a black edible marker.Stick all the facial features on the big circle piece with some water.
- Stick the ears behind the circle piece with some royal icing or melted chocolate.
- Draw the mouth and eyebrows with a black edible marker.
- Allow this bunny topper to dry overnight and harden.
- The next day, stick a lollipop stick at the back of the bunny topper with melted chocolate and allow the chocolate to harden.
- Push the bunny topper gently into the top of the cake. Enjoy!
- Read all my tips above.
- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days.