Use this cake decorating tutorial to make a quick and easy Easter bunny cake. All the details are made with candies and shredded coconut. No special tools or fondant needed!
I first saw this cake in a Country Living magazine years ago and ever since, I have been telling myself that I am going to make it some day. Well, I finally made it! This cake is surprisingly easy to make and simple enough that even kids can help out. It is great for anyone who does not like fondant because all the details are made with coconut and jelly candies! You don't even need a bunny template or pattern to for this cake, which is awesome. I am sure you have seen many pictures of bunny rabbit cakes and rabbit cake decorating ideas but is it as cute as mine? It's perfect for Easter parties. If you need more Easter party inspiration then try this Easy Lamb Cake or this Easter Egg Cake.
How To Make Easy Easter Bunny Cake?
- Bake cake- A round 2 layer cake.
- Frost it- In icing.
- Cover it- In coconut.
- Make ears- Cut out 2 cardboard ears and frost them and cover them in coconut too.
- Add ears- Stick ears into the top of the cake.
- Add facial details- Use jelly candies.
Variations For Bunny Birthday Cake
Use fondant- If you like working with fondant and want to make a bunny cake without coconut, you can decorate this cake with marshmallow fondant.
Use an Easter bunny cake topper instead- This topper is made out of fondant. It's just another spin on this cute concept.
Make mini cakes- You can also follow the same steps on small cakes and make mini bunny rabbit cakes for kids.
Make it chocolate- Since it's Easter, I used classic carrot cake and cream cheese frosting but you can use Moist Triple Chocolate Cake and Chocolate Buttercream Frosting to make a delicious chocolate cake.
Make pinata cake- Hollow out the center of the cake and fill it with egg candies or colorful sprinkles for a fun surprise.
Tips And Techniques:
Cool down cake completely before frosting- Because the icing will melt and it will become very messy. I used cardboard cut outs for the ears but you can make them out of melted white chocolate too.
What kind of coconut to use? You can either use shredded coconut or desiccated coconut. Desiccated coconut creates a more fur-like texture.
How to make a 3D bunny cake? That involves carving cake or using a 3D bunny cake pan and it requires more time and more experience with cake decorating.
How to make a bunny cake with round cake pans? You can layer multiple round cakes with frosting on top of one another and then carve the cake into the shape of a bunny's face and add the details with fondant or frosting. However, the simplest way is to frost a round cake and cover it in shredded coconut and all the details with candies.
How to prevent cakes from sticking to pans? Line pans with parchment paper and grease/flour pans very well.
How to make ears? Cut out two ear shaped cardboard pieces and stick a popsicle stick behind each ear. The cardboard ears should be the same size. Spread a thin layer of frosting on each ear. Cover the center of the ears with pink shredded coconut and cover the edges of the ears with regular white coconut.
How to make eyes, nose, whiskers, and mouth? Use jelly candies and cut them with scissors, or use a rolling pin to flatten pieces. You can also use an edible marker to draw on facial features.
Refrigerate- In a sealed container for up to 3 days.
Freeze- Unfrosted cake can be wrapped in saran wrap and stored for up to 1 month. Thaw and frost when ready to enjoy.
More Easter Desserts
- Easter Chocolate Nest
- Easter Chick Cupcakes
- How To Make Butterfly Cake
- How To Make Pavlova Cake
- Tulip Cookies
- Church Window Cookies
Easter Bunny Cake
- Bake your cake and allow it to cool down to room temperature.
- Fill and frost it in frosting.
- Cover the cake fully with shredded coconut.
- To make the ears: Cut out two ear shaped cardboard pieces and stick a popsicle stick behind each eat. The cardboard ears should be the same size. Spread a thin later of frosting on each ear. Cover the center of the ears with pink shredded coconut and cover the edges of the ears with regular white coconut.
- Push these ears into the top sides of the cake.
- Now, make the eyes, nose, whiskers and mouth with colorful jelly candies.
Tip: Jelly candies are really easy to cut with scissors and you can even flatten them with a rolling pin and you can also draw on them with edible markers.
- Stick all these facial features on the bunny cake with some frosting and you are done with your cute Easter bunny cake!
- Read all my tips above.
- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Until next time, tata my lovelies!