Easy Coca Cola cake recipe (Coke cake) with cake mix, homemade with simple ingredients. Soft, moist and topped with chocolate ganache frosting, chocolate drizzle, mini chocolate chips.
Any Coke lovers out there? This cake is for you! I know some just can't let a day pass without their favorite drink. The soda in this Cola cake is actually not super strong but adds a more subtle flavor. It is much like my Ginger Cake where I use ginger ale soda in the recipe. Both are a fun twist on simple cakes and bring a nice flavor.
How to make Coca Cola cake recipe with cake mix?
- Mix- Cake mix, pudding, eggs, oil, and coca cola.
- Stir- In chocolate chips, if desired.
- Pour- Batter in a greased and floured rectangle pan.
- Bake- At 350 degrees F for about 40 minutes.
- Remove- From oven and allow cake to cool completely.
- Prepare- Chocolate ganache frosting and chocolate ganache.
- Spread- Ganache frosting on top of cooled cake.
- Sprinkle- Mini chocolate chips and chopped Oreos on top.
- Drizzle- Ganache on top and enjoy!
What does putting soda in a cake do? Does soda make cake moist?
Soda acts as both a rising agent and the liquid to make the right consistency of batter. It also cuts out ingredients that would add more fat and calories to the cake, which is a definite plus. In addition, soda actually makes the cake nice and moist while adding additional flavor.
Variations for old fashioned Southern chocolate cola cake
- Traditional Southern version- Includes a poured chocolate glaze frosting with marshmallows and pecans. I have included the link to that frosting (same as my Texas sheet cake frosting) in the recipe card below. I changed that topping in my recipe as this got a better response from my family and friends.
- Make layered cake- Use two 9" round pans and split batter evenly between them. Bake according to directions, watching not to over-bake.
- Make tiered cake- Pour batter into three different sized cake pans. Baking times may differ, depending on the size of the cakes, so watch closely and check with a toothpick to make sure it comes out clean.
- Use other sodas- Like Dr. Pepper, root beer, Pepsi, Sprite, or cherry flavored coke for different hints of flavor.
- Try other frostings- Such as Caramel Frosting (3 Ingredients), American Buttercream, Marshmallow Frosting, or Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting.
- Try other decorations and toppings- I used mini chocolate chips and crushed up Oreos, but you can also use sprinkles, chopped nuts, mini M&Ms, crushed candy bars, or other crushed cookies to put on top.
- Turn it into a poke cake- Once the cake is fully cooked, use the end of a wooden spoon to poke holes throughout the cake, then pour dulce de leche, caramel sauce, vanilla pudding, Nutella Syrup, or whipped cream over the top to fill in the holes and soak into the cake.
- Add extracts- Such as almond, vanilla, lemon, cherry, coconut, maple, or your favorite mix.
- Make cupcakes- Pour batter evenly between 12 cupcake liners in a baking sheet, keeping in mind that the bake time will be shorter, but the temperature is the same.
Tips and techniques for classic coke cake
- Use prepared pudding mix and not the dry mix- Because it will not yield the same result. Instead, it will be more dense.
- Cannot use Diet Coke or zero coke with artificial sweeteners- Sorry, but it just does not work, because it ends up creating an odd, bitter after-taste.
- Don’t over bake cake- Because instead of a nice moist cake, you will have a crusty, dry cake that won't taste that great.
- Chocolate chip add-ins are optional- Some people enjoy it and some don’t. They must be coated in flour to prevent sinking to bottom, so check out this link on How to stop chocolate chips from sinking to make your best cake.
- Wait until cake completely cools- Before adding frosting and ganache, because it will set better and be easier to frost nicely. Besides, it allows you time to prepare the frosting and ganache while you wait.
- Grease and flour pan- Before pouring in the batter so that your cake comes out clean without sticking and leaving a mess. Be careful not to use too much flour and be sure to spread it evenly so you don't have flour chunks on your cake.
- Measure ingredients correctly- You may want to add in more coke to the batter, because it is very thick, but don't! Measure accurately and trust the recipe!
Fridge- Place in a sealed container for up to 3 days.
Freezer- Place in a sealed container for up to 1 month without the frosting, then thaw out and ice cake before serving.
More cake mix desserts
- Mexican Chocolate Cake (With Cake Mix)
- Easy Reeses Cookies (With Cake Mix)
- Rainbow Cupcakes (With Cake Mix)
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake (With Cake Mix)
- Cake Mix Cookie Bars (20 Minutes)
Coca Cola Cake With Cake Mix (Coke Cake)
- 1 box Chocolate fudge cake mix
- 1 container Snack pack chocolate pudding cup Not the dry mix, Use the prepared pudding for kids, 3.25 oz container
- 4 Eggs Large
- ⅓ cup Oil
- 1 ¼ cups Coca cola Not diet coke or zero coke
- ¼ cup Chocolate chips Optional, They should be coated in flour to prevent sinking to the bottom of cake
- 2-3 cups Chocolate ganache frosting Or use this Texas Sheet Cake Frosting or Glaze (Poured Chocolate Icing)
- 2-3 tablespoon Mini chocolate chips For decorating
- 2-3 tablespoon Oreos Finely chopped, For decorating
- ¼ cup Chocolate ganache 1:1 ratio, For drizzling on top of frosted cake
- In a large mixing bow, add cake mix, pudding, eggs, oil, coca cola and mix until combined. The batter will be thick.
- Stir in chocolate chips. This is an optional step.
- Pour batter in a greased and floured rectangle pan (Dimensions: 9x13) and spread evenly with a spatula.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for about 40 minutes or until an inserted toothpick in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow cake to cool completely.
- While the cake is baking and cooling, prepare the chocolate ganache frosting and chocolate ganache.
- Once cake is completely cool, spread ganache frosting on top of cake.
- Sprinkle mini chocolate chips and chopped Oreos on top of the frosting.
- Drizzle ganache on top of the cake and enjoy!
- Read all my tips above.
- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days.