The best, classic, quick and easy chocolate pound cake recipe, homemade with simple ingredients. Rich, dense, soft, moist, starts off with cake mix, packed with chocolate chips, better than scratch.
This ultimate chocolate sour cream pound cake is going to blow you away. The batter comes together in just 10 minutes with ingredients you probably already have in your pantry. Then, you just dump batter in a pan and bake until done. It's super fudgy and decadent like this Chocolate Molten Lava Cake (With Cake Mix) and perfect for all chocoholics birthday parties.
More Pound Cake Recipes
- Lemon Pound Cake (With Cake Mix)
- Buttermilk Pound Cake (From Scratch)
- Cream Cheese Pound Cake
- Sour Cream Pound Cake
How to make chocolate pound cake (Chocolate chip pound cake loaf)?
- Mix together sour cream, oil, eggs, water.
- Mix in cake mix, pudding mix.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Let it cool and enjoy.
How to make pound cake glaze?
The two popular and classic flavors are chocolate and vanilla. They are glossy, smooth and creamy but also quite sweet. If it's too thin, mix in more powdered sugar. If it's too thick, mix more milk or water.
- Vanilla glaze- In s a small bowl, mix together 2 cups powdered sugar, 2-4 tablespoon milk and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract until silky smooth.
- Chocolate glaze- In s a small bowl, mix together powdered 1.5 cups powdered sugar, ¼ cup cocoa powder, 2-4 tablespoon milk, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract until silky smooth. Some people also like to make thin ganache with semisweet chocolate and heavy cream and use that as a cake glaze.
Iced pound cake
When it comes to icing this cake, the classic choice would obviously be a chocolate glaze or chocolate ganache but you can also ice this cake with Homemade Whipped Cream or American Buttercream Frosting or Chocolate Buttercream Frosting.
- Chocolate cream cheese pound cake- Replace sour cream with full fat cream cheese.
- Buttermilk chocolate pound cake- Replace half the amount of water with buttermilk.
- German chocolate cake- Spread caramel coconut pecan frosting on top of the cake, once it cools down.
- Chocolate orange cake- Add 1 tablespoon fresh orange zest in batter to give it a subtle citrus flavor.
- Use white chocolate chips- Replace semisweet chocolate chips with white chocolate chips. However, white chocolate chips have a tendency to sink to the bottom of the cake. Try to use mini white chips instead of the regular sized ones to avoid this from happening.
Tips and Techniques
- What flavor of cake mix to use? Chocolate cake mix, Devil's food cake mix, chocolate fudge cake mix all work well.
- Don’t over-mix cake batter– Because this will yield a tough cake and can also cause the cake to collapse or sink during baking. Mix until all ingredients are just combined. Don't worry if there are a few lumps.
- What type of chocolate chips to use? Semisweet or milk chocolate chips taste the best. I highly recommend you use mini sized because they don't sink to the bottom of the cake and they also blend together in the batter much better.
- All ingredients must be at room temperature– That’s because they blend together smoothly and evenly.
- How to cut perfect cake slices without crumbs? Chill the baked cake for 5-6 hours to make it firm and then, use a sharp knife to cut smooth slices with no crumbs or mess.
- Don’t use sugar-free ingredients– Because it adds an odd after-taste. This is especially with regards to pudding mix and cake mix.
- Brand of cake mixes– I have used these brands of cake mixes successfully: Pillsbury, Duncan Hines and Betty Crocker. If you try any generic store brands, I would love to hear your results.
- Use full fat ingredients- Such as full-fat sour cream and full-fat pudding mix because that makes the cake rich and moist. No fat-free or low-fat ingredients!
- Oil vs. Butter– Although I am a big fan of butter in baking, I prefer oil in this recipe because butter ended up making this cake very greasy. No shortening and no margarine because both of those did not yield good results.
- Decorate this cake- Toss fresh fruits like raspberries, strawberries and fresh flowers on top, to make it look beautiful for parties and picnics. You can also decorate with chopped Oreos and chocolate candy bars, lots of chocolate chips and even colorful sprinkles.
- Can you freeze pound cake? Yes. Once it fully cools down, wrap it in saran wrap and put into a sealed freezer bag and freeze for up to 1 month. Let it thaw in the fridge overnight and then slice and enjoy.
More Doctored Cake Mix Recipes
- 7 Up Cake (With Cake Mix)
- Cinnamon Roll Cake (With Cake Mix)
- Blueberry Dump Cake (Blueberry Cobbler Dump Cake)
- Peach Dump Cake (Peach Cobbler Dump Cake)
- Chocolate Guinness Beer Cake (With Cake Mix)
Chocolate Pound Cake
- In a large mixing bowl, add sour cream, oil, eggs, water and mix until smooth.
- Add cake mix, pudding mix, and mix until just combined.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Toss some more chocolate chips on top, if you like.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes or until an inserted toothpick in the center comes out clean.
- Let it cool down and drizzle a glaze, if you like. Enjoy!
- Read all my tips above.
- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Until next time, tata my lovelies!