This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
These quick and easy blueberry cupcakes are soft, moist and packed with fresh blueberries and lots of lemon and lime zest. They are ready in 30 minutes and are a perfect dessert for Summer parties!
*Thank you Cake Pop Stand Co. for sending me a free cupcake stand to use in this post, where I displayed my blueberry cupcakes. As always, all opinions are mine.*
I LOVE to use berries in baking and these blueberry cupcakes are one of my favorite cupcakes to make during this season.
This is my mom’s BASIC blueberry cupcake recipe and it’s so versatile that you can TWEAK it with different zests, extracts, berries and always end up with delicious results.
These blueberry lemon cupcakes have a hint of lime zest to give them a truly ZESTY flavor.
Ebooks by Cakewhiz
About Lemon Blueberry Cupcakes:
- Versatile recipe with many flavor combinations
Variations of Easy Blueberry Cupcakes:
Blueberry Cupcakes with Lemon Frosting:
Prepare blueberry cupcakes without any zest and top it off with lemon frosting. For an easy lemon frosting, make my American buttercream frosting first and then add some lemon zest and lemon extract, based on your preference.
Blueberry Cupcakes With Cake Mix:
Prepare cupcake batter, as per box instructions. Then, coat 1 cup blueberries in some all-purpose flour and stir them gently into the batter. Pour batter into cupcake liners and bake, as per box instructions.
Blueberry Cupcakes With Blueberry Frosting:
Prepare blueberry cupcakes without any zest and top it off with blueberry frosting. Use my blackberry frosting recipe and replace blackberries with blueberries.
Orange Blueberry Cupcakes:
Use orange zest and orange extract instead of lemon/lime zest and lemon/lime extract. You can also take it a step further and top the cupcakes with orange buttercream frosting.
How to Make Blueberry Cupcakes?
- In one bowl, mix together all the dry ingredients: flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and keep aside.
- In another bowl, mix together egg, butter, whole milk, buttermilk, zests, extracts.
- Dump the dry mixture into the wet mixture and mix until just combined.
- In another bowl, toss the blueberries and a little flour togethers.
- Fold these coated blueberries into the cake batter.
- Pour batter in cupcake liners.
- Bake and frost it in icing. Enjoy!
Tips For Blueberry Cupcakes:
- If you are NOT fond of limes or find their flavor too strong, you can use orange zest or just lemon zest.
- All ingredients must be at ROOM TEMPERATURE so they blend together smoothly.
- I really DON’T recommend making blueberry cupcakes with frozen blueberries since they release too much juice during baking, which makes the texture of cupcakes very soggy.
- You must COAT the blueberries in flour to prevent them from sinking to the bottom of cupcakes.
- Recipe can easily be DOUBLED.
Well, that’s all for today’s blueberry cupcakes with cream cheese frosting.
More Blueberry Desserts:
Blueberry Lime Cupcakes
Blueberry lime cupcakes:
- 1½ cups All-purpose flour
- ⅔ cups Granulated sugar
- 1½ tsp Baking powder
- ⅛ tsp Baking soda
- ½ cup Buttermilk
- ½ cup Whole milk + 2 tbsp
- ¼ cup Butter Unsalted
- 1 Egg Large
- 1 tsp Lemon zest
- 1 tssp Lime zest
- 1 tsp Lemon extract
- 1 tsp Lime extract
- ¾ cup Blueberries Fresh, Washed and patted dry
- 1 tbsp Additional all-purpose flour For coating blueberries
- 3 cups Cream cheese frosting
- 2-3 tbsp Additional zest For decorating
- 13 Additional blueberries For decorating
- In a separate mixing bowl, add all the wet ingredients: buttermilk, whole milk, butter, egg, zests, extracts. Mix until smooth.
- Dump the dry ingredient mixture into the bowl of wet ingredients. Mix until just combined. Don’t over-mix! You may have some lumps but don’t worry about them.
- In a small bowl, add the blueberries and 1 tbsp flour. Mix them with a spoon until the blueberries are fully coated in flour.
- Stir these coated blueberries into your cake batter gently.
- Pour this batter into cupcake liners and bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- While your cupcakes are baking, make the cream cheese icing. You can even add some additional lemon/lime zest, lemon/lime extract if you like.
- Once your cupcakes have cooled down and come to room temperature, frost them in icing. Sprinkle some lemon/ lime zest and stick a blueberry on top of each cupcake. Enjoy!
- Read all my tips above.
- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Now, allow me to share a FUN product with all of you…
I recently received this 3 tier cupcake stand to review from my friend Janine at Cake Pop Stand Co and it’s just AWESOME!
Here’s why I LOVE this cupcake stand:
– It’s a BEAUTIFUL way to display 12 cupcakes, especially at dessert tables.
– There are 12 SEPARATE compartments for your cupcakes, which means they won’t be sliding around and your frosting won’t get messed up.
– It’s really EASY to store because the pieces are flat and can be taken apart and put back together in just a few seconds.
– It’s very easy to CLEAN…Just wipe with soap and water.
– It comes in 2 colors: black and white, but you can also CUSTOMIZE the design of this stand with your logo, which is so COOL!
– This company also works with people to to create their your own custom cake/cupcake/cake pops stands . You can bring your imagination to life!
Until next time, tata my lovelies!