Boston Cream Pie Cupcakes
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This easy Boston cream pie cupcakes recipe from scratch includes fluffy vanilla cupcakes with rich pastry cream filling and smooth ganache topping.
I am not really sure why Boston cream pie cupcakes has the word “pie” in it because clearly it DOES NOT resemble a pie at all.
Regardless of its name, it’s one of my family’s FAVORITE cupcake recipe ever.
This homemade Boston cream pie cupcake recipe from scratch is composed of THREE components:
- Vanilla cupcake
- Pastry cream
- Chocolate ganache topping
Technically, it has all the flavors of the CLASSIC Boston cream pie cake but in MINI cupcake form.
Ebooks by Cakewhiz
They make great INDIVIDUAL servings and are perfect for PARTIES, especially kids birthday parties.
To make these simple Boston cream pie cupcakes, I took my Mom’s best ever Boston cream pie cake recipe and modified it a little and voila… Perfection!
I have also noticed that some people prefer Boston cream pie cupcake frosting, piped on top but to be honest with you, I prefer the classic look and flavor of chocolate ganache DRIPPING on the sides.
As fas as Boston cream pie cupcakes calories are concerned (I get this question A LOT!), I have never calculated that but I am positive this is not considered diet food…LOL!
The Boston cream pie filling for cupcakes can be added in THREE ways:
- You can do what I did. SLICE the cupcake in half (once it cools down obviously) and scoop a tablespoon of pastry cream on top. Then, cover with the other half of the cupcake and press gently until everything sticks together like a sandwich.
- Attach a round tip to a PIPING BAG and fill the bag with pastry cream filling. Poke the center of the cupcake with the your tip and squeeze the bag until the center is fully filled. Top off with ganache.
- You can use an APPLE CORER to make a hollow center in your cupcake. Don’t go all the way through. Leave the bottom of the cupcake intact so that that the filling doesn’t leak out. Spoon a few teaspoons of pastry cream filling in the hollow center and top off with ganache.
- I have a a video TUTORIAL on how to fill cupcakes that would be very helpful, if you have never done this before.
How to make Boston cream pie cupcakes?
My recipe for Boston cream pie cupcakes require some work. There are a number of steps but the end result is totally worth it. You need to bake vanilla cupcakes first. Then, prepare the pastry cream filling and allow it to cool down/ set before filling it in the cupcakes. Finally, prepare chocolate ganache and pour it on top of the cupcakes and let it drip a little along the sides.
Here are some TIPS for making perfect Boston cream pie cupcakes from SCRATCH:
- For the cupcakes, you must SEPARATE the eggs. That yields the best results and make these yellow cupcakes light and fluffy.
- You must use whole milk. That makes these cupcakes rich.
- Use the BEST QUALITY of vanilla extract you can find. Trust me, it makes a difference!
- DO NOT over-mix the cupcake batter! Over-mixing will change the texture and make cupcakes very tough.
- Butter and eggs should be at room temperature for best results.
- For the ganache, use the best quality chocolate chips you can find. They have a better flavor.
- The pastry cream can me made a day in advance, if you like. It definitely needs some time to chill and set. You CANNOT skip the chilling step.
- If you are short on time you can try this easy Boston cream pie cupcakes => Use a cake mix to make vanilla cupcakes. Use store bought pastry filling… They sell small boxes of powdered mixes and you just have to add milk or water to them. Use store bought chocolate frosting. If you melt this frosting in the microwave, you can pour it over the cupcakes just like ganache.
If you liked this Boston cream cupcakes recipe, you may also like some of these other cupcake recipes:
Boston Cream Pie Cupcakes
- 2 cups Homemade vanilla pudding Can use pastry cream
- 1 cup Semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup Heavy cream
- Bake vanilla cupcakes and allow them to cool down completely.
- While the cupcakes are baking, make homemade vanilla pudding or pastry cream filling.
- Also make chocolate ganache. Heat chocolate chips and heavy cream in a saucepan. Mix until chocolate chips are fully melted. Let the mixture cool down and thicken a bit.
- Once the cupcakes have cooled down, remove the liners slice the cupcake in half with a sharp knife.
- Pour about 1 tablespoon of the filling (it should be cool and thick) on the bottom portion and then stick the other half of the cupcake on top.
- Pour 1-2 tablespoons of ganache on top of the cupcake and let it drip a little along the sides. Enjoy!
Well, that’s all for today.
Until next time, tata my lovelies!