Boston Cream Pie Cupcakes
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This easy Boston cream pie cupcakes recipe from scratch includes fluffy vanilla cupcakes with rich pastry cream filling and smooth ganache topping.
I am not really sure why Boston cream pie cupcakes has the word “pie” in it because clearly it DOES NOT resemble a pie at all.
Regardless of its name, it’s one of my family’s FAVORITE cupcake recipe ever.
This homemade Boston cream pie cupcake recipe from scratch is composed of THREE components:
- Vanilla cupcake
- Pastry cream
- Chocolate ganache topping
Technically, it has all the flavors of the CLASSIC Boston cream pie cake but in MINI cupcake form.
They make great INDIVIDUAL servings and are perfect for PARTIES, especially kids birthday parties.
To make these simple Boston cream pie cupcakes, I took my Mom’s best ever Boston cream pie cake recipe and modified it a little and voila… Perfection!
I have also noticed that some people prefer Boston cream pie cupcake frosting, piped on top but to be honest with you, I prefer the classic look and flavor of chocolate ganache DRIPPING on the sides.
As fas as Boston cream pie cupcakes calories are concerned (I get this question A LOT!), I have never calculated that but I am positive this is not considered diet food…LOL!
The Boston cream pie filling for cupcakes can be added in THREE ways:
- You can do what I did. SLICE the cupcake in half (once it cools down obviously) and scoop a tablespoon of pastry cream on top. Then, cover with the other half of the cupcake and press gently until everything sticks together like a sandwich.
- Attach a round tip to a PIPING BAG and fill the bag with pastry cream filling. Poke the center of the cupcake with the your tip and squeeze the bag until the center is fully filled. Top off with ganache.
- You can use an APPLE CORER to make a hollow center in your cupcake. Don’t go all the way through. Leave the bottom of the cupcake intact so that that the filling doesn’t leak out. Spoon a few teaspoons of pastry cream filling in the hollow center and top off with ganache.
- I have a a video TUTORIAL on how to fill cupcakes that would be very helpful, if you have never done this before.
How to make Boston cream pie cupcakes?
My recipe for Boston cream pie cupcakes require some work. There are a number of steps but the end result is totally worth it. You need to bake vanilla cupcakes first. Then, prepare the pastry cream filling and allow it to cool down/ set before filling it in the cupcakes. Finally, prepare chocolate ganache and pour it on top of the cupcakes and let it drip a little along the sides.
Here are some TIPS for making perfect Boston cream pie cupcakes from SCRATCH:
- For the cupcakes, you must SEPARATE the eggs. That yields the best results and make these yellow cupcakes light and fluffy.
- You must use whole milk. That makes these cupcakes rich.
- Use the BEST QUALITY of vanilla extract you can find. Trust me, it makes a difference!
- DO NOT over-mix the cupcake batter! Over-mixing will change the texture and make cupcakes very tough.
- Butter and eggs should be at room temperature for best results.
- For the ganache, use the best quality chocolate chips you can find. They have a better flavor.
- The pastry cream can me made a day in advance, if you like. It definitely needs some time to chill and set. You CANNOT skip the chilling step.
- If you are short on time you can try this easy Boston cream pie cupcakes => Use a cake mix to make vanilla cupcakes. Use store bought pastry filling… They sell small boxes of powdered mixes and you just have to add milk or water to them. Use store bought chocolate frosting. If you melt this frosting in the microwave, you can pour it over the cupcakes just like ganache.
If you liked this Boston cream cupcakes recipe, you may also like some of these other cupcake recipes:
Boston Cream Pie Cupcakes
- ¾ cup Unsalted Butter room temperature
- 1¾ cups Sugar granulated
- 2 Large egg yolks
- 1 tbsp Vanilla extract of good quality
- 2¼ cups All-purpose flour
- 2½ tsp Baking powder
- 1 cup Whole milk
- 2 Large egg whites
- 1⅓ cups Heavy cream
- 3 Large egg yolks
- ⅓ cup Sugar granulated
- 4 tsp Cornstarch
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp Unsalted butter
- 1 cup Semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup Heavy cream
In a mixing bowl cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
Add the egg yolks and vanilla extract and mix until smooth.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour and baking powder.
Mix this dry mixture into the wet mixture slowly, while alternating with milk until just combined.
Now, in another bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form and there is no liquid left over.
Fold this egg white mixture into the flour mixture. Do not over-mix! The batter will be smooth but thick.
Pour the batter into cupcake liners.
Bake at 350 degrees for about 22 minutes or until an inserted toothpick in the center comes out clean.
Heat heavy cream in a saucepan over medium heat until it reaches full simmer.
Now, add this mixture into the saucepan and continue mixing so as to prevent any lumps from forming.
Keep mixing until the pastry cream thickens and starts to stick to your spoon.
Then turn off the heat and mix in vanilla extract and butter.
Pour this mixture in a bowl and press the press plastic wrap on top of the pastry cream so as to prevent "skin" from forming.
Chill in the fridge for about 3 hours or until it sets.
Heat chocolate chips and heavy cream in a saucepan. Mix until chocolate chips are fully melted.
Let the mixture cool down a bit.
Once the cupcakes have cooled down, remove the liners and use a sharp knife to cut them in half.
Pour about 1 tablespoon of the pastry cream filling on top of one half and then stick the other half on top.
Pour 1-2 tablespoons of ganache on top of the cupcake and let it drip a little along the sides.
Read all my tips above.
Store leftovers in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 2 days.
Well, that’s all for today.
Until next time, tata my lovelies!