Easy no bake chocolate coconut bars recipe, homemade with simple ingredients. These macaroon bars are soft and chewy. Multiple variations included!
*Thank you Vital Proteins for sponsoring this post so that I can share this recipe with all of you. As always, all opinions are my own*
On my last run to the grocery store, I picked up a bag of strawberries and I swear some of them were as big as my fist and they were so juicy! As soon as I ate a few, I knew I would have to make these triple layer chocolate strawberry coconut bars. They are no bake and so easy to make that my little cutie was able to help out too. I love it when he helps me! These No Bake Peanut Butter Bars and Chocolate Crunch Bars are both healthy, no bake, and delicious as well. Make sure to check them out if these bars sound appealing to you.
Table of contents
How to make easy chocolate coconut bars recipe from scratch?
- Mix ingredients- Including shredded coconut, desiccated coconut, collagen peptides, honey and coconut oil.
- Spread mixture- In a square dish, packed firmly.
- Chill- Until the mixture hardens.
- Mix chocolate and coconut milk- Pour on top of coconut mixture and spread it.
- Top it- With fresh strawberry slices.
- Chill- Until chocolate layer sets.
- Slice it- Into square pieces. Enjoy!
Variations for no bake coconut bars
Add zests- Such as 1 teaspoon lime or lemon zest to give these bars an extra zing.
Make into balls- Roll this coconut mixture into balls. Chill them for an hour and dip them in melted chocolate. This way, you will end up with bite sized coconut truffles.
Try different fruit- You can use blueberries, raspberries or even blackberries instead of strawberries.
Omit the fruit topping altogether- If you prefer.
Use a different sweetener- Such as maple syrup or agave syrup instead of honey (although it alters the taste a bit).
Add nut or seed butter- Add a layer of your favorite butter such as peanut, almond, cashew, or sunflower butter between the coconut and chocolate layer for added healthy fats, protein, and richness.
Add an extract- Such as vanilla, almond, or caramel to the chocolate mixture fro added flavor.
Add caramel- Add this How To Make Homemade Caramel Sauce as a drizzle on top of the chocolate before adding the strawberries for added sweetness.
Add salt- Add a dash of salt on top of the chocolate for a balance of sweet and salty.
Add pretzels- Add crushed pretzel chunks to the chocolate mixture for added texture and a sweet/salty version.
Tips and techniques for macaroon bars
Use a food processor- If you like, you can put all the ingredients for the coconut bars in the a food processor and that will create a slightly smoother texture.
Line pan with parchment paper- Because this makes it possible to remove the bars cleanly so that you can slice them easily.
Sweetened vs. Unsweetened coconut- Either can be used. My personal preference is unsweetened and I adjust the sweetness level through the amount of honey.
Coconut milk substitute- You can use coconut cream or heavy cream. Don't use regular milk because the melted chocolate will seize.
Why are my bars crumbly? Because they are dry. Additional liquid needs to be added in the form of coconut oil or honey.
Why are my bars wet and soft? Because they haven't set or too much liquid is added. Use measuring spoons and don't eyeball anything. These bars need to be chilled in order to firm them up.
How long to chill? Until the coconut mixture hardens and then again until the chocolate sets. The amount of time may vary.
What size dish to use? I used an 8X8 square pan which makes the perfect thickness for these bars.
What kind of coconut milk to use? I recommend canned coconut milk because it is thicker and works best for this recipe.
How to melt chocolate? In a microwave safe bowl at 30 second intervals, making sure to stir between each heating.
By now, you guys must know about my sheer love for Vital Proteins products. Their collagen peptides rock and I used them in today's recipe. In case you don't know, collagen peptides are great for the health of your skins, nails, hair and I have noticed a big difference. The best part is this powder is flavorless, colorless and odorless. Thus, adding a few scoops of these peptides won't affect your recipe at all.
Some of my most popular recipes have this powder and no one can even tell. Shhhh! It can be our little secret.
- Salted Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Fudgy Vegan Eggless Brownies
- Carrot Cupcakes
- Easy Raspberry Mousse
Refrigerate- In sealed container, separated by sheets of wax paper, for up to 5 days.
Freeze- In sealed container, separated by sheets of wax paper, for up to 1 month. When you are ready to enjoy them, thaw in fridge overnight.
Room temperature- These bars will lose their firmness if they are at room temperature for longer than 30 minutes.
More easy no bake desserts
- Date Bars or Squares (No Bake)
- S'mores Bars (No Bake)
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bars (No Bake)
- Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Bars (Eggless)
Chocolate Coconut Bars (Macaroon Bars)
- Add shredded coconut, desiccated coconut, collagen peptides, honey and coconut oil in a deep bowl. Mix everything until you have a sticky mixture.Note: Start with ½ cup melted coconut oil and only add more if necessary. Some brands of shredded and desiccated cocounts are very dry and you will need to add more oil to bring this mixture together.
- Spread mixture in a square dish (Dimensions: 8x8) that's lined with parchment paper. Press down with your hands so that everything becomes firmly packed together.
- Chill in the freezer for 45 minutes or until the coconut mixture hardens.
- Mix together melted chocolate and coconut milk.
- Pour this this melted chocolate on top of the frozen coconut mixture and spread evenly.
- Toss fresh strawberry slices on top and press them gently into the chocolate.
- Chill for 20 minutes in refrigerator or until chocolate layer sets.
- Then, slice into square pieces and enjoy!