One Pot Black Pepper Chicken
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Quick and easy black pepper chicken recipe, inspired by Chinese flavors. This one pot dinner idea is made with simple ingredients and ready in 30 minutes.
I am sure many of you have tried some type of black pepper chicken (Chinese, Indian Pakistani recipe) in your life.
There are so many different VERSIONS but my favorite is the Chinese one with a bit of a spicy kick that comes from black pepper and red chili flakes.
The chicken is very SOFT and TENDER and packed with Asian flavors.
Ebooks by Cakewhiz
This quick black pepper chicken REQUIRES:
- One pot or pan or wok
- 30 minutes only
- No mess
- Simple ingredients from your pantry
- No marinating
SERVE black pepper chicken with:
- Boiled rice (Jasmine rice is great)
- Fried rice (Simple vegetable fried rice is best)
- Noodles (Thin angel hair noodles are best)
By the way, I should point out that this is NOT a crispy black pepper chicken recipe since the chicken is not covered in a flour batter and fried.
Due to that, this is also NOT a Chinese buffet black pepper chicken recipe nor is it a Panda Express black pepper chicken copycat.
Those versions taste GREAT but I find those recipes very messy and time consuming for everyday dinners.
How to make black pepper chicken? How do you make peppered chicken?
The process is very SIMPLE. Start off by heating some oil in a pan. Then, saute ginger, garlic, onions. When they are golden brown, add soy sauce, oyster sauce, vinegar, black pepper, red chili flakes, cornstarch, water. Mix thoroughly. Then, add chicken. Cover and cook for about 10-12 minutes. Uncover and let it cook for a few more minutes until the water get reduced a bit. Then, add green peppers and cook for about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and serve with rice. Enjoy!
Some recipes use Chinese black pepper sauce but I don’t have that in my pantry all the time and making it from scratch would require some extra time.
So, this is my QUICK and EASY version, which is still very flavorful and delicious.
Here are some TIPS for making simple Chinese black pepper chicken:
- Use a non-stick pan or a non-stick wok to PREVENT burning and ingredients sticking to pan.
- If you are fond of vegetables, add some FRESH broccoli or celery to this recipe towards the end and cook for about 3-4 minutes. DON’T cook for too long or you will end up with soft and limp veggies.
- I highly RECOMMEND sesame oil since it adds a lot of flavor to the recipe but olive oil, corn oil or canola oil can be used too.
- You can use the ingredients in this recipe to marinate chicken wings and thighs and make black pepper grilled chicken.
- ADJUST the amount of black pepper and red chili flakes, based on your taste preference.
- DON’T cook for too long and reduce all the water since that will dry up the chicken. You want to have some gravy covering the chicken and keeping it moist.
Well, that’s all for today.
If you liked this homemade black pepper chicken, you may like some of these other chicken recipes:
One Pot Black Pepper Chicken Recipe
- 4 tbsp Sesame oil
- 2 tbsp Onions Finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Ginger Finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Garlic Finely chopped
- 3 tbsp Soy sauce Low sodium
- 1 tbsp Oyster sauce Optional
- 1 tbsp Vinegar
- 1 tbsp Black pepper
- 1/4 tsp Red chili flakes Optional
- 1 tbsp Cornstarch
- 2 tbsp Water or Chicken broth
- 1 lb Chicken breast Cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 Green Pepper Thinly sliced
- Salt To taste
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan on medium heat.
- Add onion, ginger garlic and saute until golden brown.
- Add soy sauce, oyster sauce (optional), vinegar, black pepper, red chili flakes, cornstarch and water. Mix thoroughly.
- Add the chicken.
- Cover and cook for 10-12 minutes.
- Uncover and cook on medium high heat so as to reduce the liquid a bit.
- Add the green peppers and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Serve with rice and enjoy!
- Read all my tips above.
- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Until next time, tata my lovelies1