Slow Cooker Sesame Chicken
This easy slow cooker sesame chicken is made with simple ingredients and tastes better than takeout. It’s healthy and tastes great with noodles or rice.
*This post for slow cooker sesame chicken includes Amazon affiliate links of products that I use all the time and highly recommend. I may receive a small commission if you make a purchase.*
This easy slow cooker sesame chicken recipe is one of my family’s FAVORITE meals.
I make it a few times a month with barely any leftovers!
This FLAVORFUL slow cooker honey sesame chicken has a bit of a Chinese style.
It’s SWEET with a subtle SPICY kick with hints of GINGER and GARLIC flavors.
How to make HEALTHY slow cooker sesame chicken?
You start off by mixing together the chicken breast pieces, spices, and sauces in a slow cooker and then letting it cook until chicken is tender. Then, remove the chicken pieces while you thicken the sauce with cornstarch. Finally, add the chicken pieces back into the mixture and stir until properly coated and you are done. This is truly such an EASY weeknight meal!
You can serve this slow cooker sesame chicken with:
- Boiled white rice, brown rice, jasmine or even fried rice
- Zoodles (Zucchini noodles)
Here are some TIPS for making PERFECT slow cooker sesame chicken:
- Make sure your chicken pieces are SMALL. I recommend 1 1/2 inches. They will cook faster and more thoroughly.
- ADJUST the amount of salt, pepper and chili flakes, based on your preference.
- Some of my friends have made this crockpot sesame chicken recipe with chicken thighs and chicken wings but I still prefer using chicken breasts.
- You can add washed BROCCOLI florets into your slow cooker halfway through the cooking time and let them cook. This way, you can make slow cooker sesame chicken with broccoli.
- Make sure to DRY ROAST your sesame seeds. It really enhances the flavor.
- Make sure to use LOW SODIUM soy sauce. The original one makes this recipe too salty.
- DON’T skip the sesame oil. It adds a lot of flavor to this recipe.
- Your cooking time may VARY, based on the brand of slow cooker or crock pot you are using. I use THIS SLOW COOKER and love it!
- This is one of those meals that taste great FRESH. You can store leftovers in the fridge for up to 2 days but it won’t taste as great as it did on the first day. The sauce will really thicken. I recommend heating it in a non-stick saucepan over low heat with a splash of water.
If you liked this recipe, you may like these recipes too:
One pot healthy fettuccine alfredo
Slow Cooker Sesame Chicken
- 2½ pounds Chicken breast, Cut into small cubes
- 1 cup Honey
- ½ cup Soy sauce, Low sodium
- ½ cup Barbecue sauce
- 1 tsp Sesame oil
- 1 tbsp Oolive oil
- 1 tsp Ginger paste
- 1 tsp Garlic paste
- ½ tsp Crushed red chillies
- 2 tbsp Onion, Finely chopped
- Salt and pepper , To taste
- 3 tbsp Cornstarch
- 3 tbsp Water
- 2 tbsp Sesame seeds, Roasted
- 1 tbsp Green onions, Finely sliced
- In a slow cooker, add the chicken pieces, honey, soy sauce, barbecue sauce, sesame oil, olive oil, ginger paste, garlic paste, crushed red chillies, salt and pepper. Mix everything together until the chicken pieces are properly coated.
- Put the lid on the slow cooker and cook on low for 2 hours OR until the chicken pieces are cooked thorough.
- Remove the chicken from the slow cooker and keep it aside in a bowl. DON'T throw out the liquid in your slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, mix together cornstarch and water and add this mixture into the slow cooker. Mix it thoroughly.
- Cover the lid and cook on high for 15-20 minutes OR until the sauce thickens.
- Add the chicken pieces into the sauce and mix until fully coated.
- Garnish with roasted sesame seeds and green onions.
- Serve over rice and enjoy!
- Read my tips above.
- This tastes best when it's fresh but leftovers can be stored in the fridge for up to 2 days. The sauce will probably be very thick. I recommend heating on low heat in a non-stick saucepan with a splash of water.
Well, that’s all for today.
Until next time, tata my lovelies!
This looks delicious! I love a good slow cooker meal!
I love how handy the slow cooker is for meals like this. It really makes the flavours amazing and so easy!
What kind of BBQ sauce do you use? Will this have a major effect on the flavor?
I use regular bbq sauce. Nothing fancy.