Turmeric Latte (Golden Milk Latte)
Quick and easy turmeric latte recipe (also known as golden milk latte), homemade with simple ingredients. Rich, creamy, healthy. Loaded with warm spices, coconut milk and almond milk.
Unlike my Caramel Latte and Eggnog Latte and even this Gingerbread Latte, today’s recipe does not have any coffee in it. With aromatic spices and comforting warm milk, this latte will be a drink that brings warmth and comfort without coffee or caffeine kick.
What is golden turmeric latte (golden milk latte)?
It’s a beverage that originated in India. It is made of mostly turmeric and milk, along with hints of other spices. What makes this latte so unique is that it has so many health benefits. It is mostly used as a sleep aid before bed, but it can also reduce inflammation, improve memory, and improve digestion.
How to make turmeric latte recipe?
- Add ingredients in a saucepan– This includes almond milk, coconut milk, turmeric powder, cinnamon powder, ginger powder, cardamom pods, honey.
- Cook– Bring mixture to a boil
- Simmer– Reduce heat and cook for a few more minutes.
- Strain– Use a fine mesh sieve.
- Enjoy! Pour latte into two cups and top it off with some milk foam.
Iced turmeric ginger latte– This would be fantastic for the Summertime. Allow the mixture to cool in the fridge and then, serve it over ice.
Add black pepper– This adds a subtle spice.
Add other spices– such as cloves, nutmeg or star anise.
Use other milks– Such as full fat almond milk, coconut milk, or soy milk, oat milk. These would all be good non-dairy alternatives. You can also use whole milk or 2% milk.
Try other extracts– Such as orange, mint, almond e.t.c.
Topping options– Milk foam, sprinkle of ground nutmeg, cardamom or cinnamon powder. Star anise or cinnamon stick can be added for decoration purposes.
Use other sweeteners- I used honey but you can also use granulated sugar, brown sugar, agave or maple syrup. The overall flavor may vary slightly, based on your sweetener choice.
Refrigerate– Leftovers can be stored in the fridge fo up to 2 days.
Freeze- I don’t recommend freezing since milk does not thaw well and can separate.
Reheat- It can be reheated in the microwave or stovetop.
Tips and Techniques
Whisk the latte when cooking- Because this will help the turmeric powder evenly incorporate into the milk without getting clumpy.
Watch the heat– Be careful so that the mixture does not boil over the saucepan.
Can I use fresh ginger? Of course, be careful of how much you put in since fresh ginger has a stronger flavor and has a bigger kick.
Make ahead instructions– This can be 1-2 days in advance and stored in the fridge until you are ready to enjoy it.
Use full fat milk– Because it has a higher fat content, which gives the this drink a deliciously rich and creamy flavor and texture.
Use both, almond and coconut milk– Because they both add to the overall nutty flavor and aroma.
Add toppings prior to serving- Don’t add milk foam until you are ready to serve because it will deflate and look awful.
Serve a crowd- Double all the ingredients to make a bigger batch.
Adjust quantity of ingredients– Add more or less whatever ingredients you like or dislike. This is a very versatile recipe that can be adjusted to your tastebuds.
- Easy White Hot Chocolate
- Crockpot Hot Chocolate
- Homemade Eggnog
- Chai Tea
- Peppermint White Chocolate Mocha
Turmeric Latte (Golden Milk Latte)
- 2 cups Almond milk, Unsweetened, Full fat
- 1 cup Coconut milk, Unsweetened, Full fat
- 2.5 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1.5 tsp Cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp Ginger powder
- 4 Cardamom pods, Crushed open
- 2-3 tbsp Honey, Adjust, based on your preference
- 1/4 cup Additional almond milk or whole milk, For frothing on top of latte OR use whipped cream
- Add almond milk, coconut milk, turmeric powder, cinnamon powder, ginger powder, cardamom pods, honey in a nonstick saucepan, with the heat set to Medium.
- Bring to a boil.
- Then, reduce heat to Low and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Strain through a mesh sieve.
- Pour in 2 cups.
- Use a frother to froth some warm milk and spoon the milk foam on top of each mug. Enjoy!
- Read all my tips above.
- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 2 days and reheated in the microwave.