Slow Cooker Pineapple Chicken
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Easy slow cooker pineapple chicken recipe, requiring simple ingredients. This sweet and tangy Hawaiian pineapple chicken with peppers makes an easy dinner.
This slow cooker pineapple chicken and rice is one of those meals that I make when I am craving something DELICIOUS and comforting without spending my entire day in the kitchen.
I LOVE that the pineapples get so flavorful and so juicy after getting cooked with all those other ingredients.
Also, the chicken is so soft and TENDER!
Best of all, it only requires 5 minutes of prep time… Super quick and EASY meal!
I know there are many VARIATIONS of pineapple chicken and I wanted to make sure to point out that this version is:
- NOT the recipe for crockpot bbq pineapple chicken, which requires the addition of some BBQ sauce. Honestly, I don’t like the addition of BBQ sauce in pineapple chicken. The flavor overpowers everything else!
- NOT slow cooker chicken pineapple teriyaki because that requires the addition of teriyaki sauce, which my recipe does not use. I will share that recipe soon since it is delicious!
How to make slow cooker pineapple chicken breast?
Start off by dumping the chicken, pineapples, pineapple juice, honey, salt, pepper, ginger paste, garlic paste, Sriracha sauce and soy sauce. Cover lid and cook on high for 1 hour. Then, add the peppers and onions. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes. Then, remove some liquid from the slow cooker and add it into a small mixing bowl and add cornstarch. Mix it together and pour this liquid in the slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes. Garnish with finely chopped parsley or cilantro. Serve with rice and enjoy!
Why is my pineapple chicken so thin and watery?
There is too much liquid! Please use measuring cups and spoons to measure out all the ingredients properly. Also, you may not have added enough cornstarch to thicken the sauce.
Here are some TIPS for making PERFECT slow cooker pineapple chicken:
- DON’T use frozen chicken since it releases more water and your sauce will be too thin.
- You can use whole chicken breasts or cut them into 1 inch cubes.
- The sauce gets thicker, as it cools.
- Adjust the amount of red chili flakes and Sriracha sauce, according to your preference.
- You can use fresh pineapples or canned pineapples.
- You can use fresh pineapple juice or the canned juice.
- Some people like to use brown sugar in this crockpot Hawaiian chicken but I like using honey. I think it adds more flavor!
- To make slow cooker pineapple chicken thighs, you can use 4 chicken thighs (that’s how many fit in my slow cooker) and bake as per the instructions on high for 3 hours.
- To make slow cooker pineapple chicken curry, add 1/4 tsp red chili powder and 1 tbsp tsp curry powder and garnish with finely chopped cilantro, prior to serving.
- To make slow cooker pineapple chicken tacos, use large chicken breasts (don’t cut them), and shred it with a fork and fill that in your hard or soft tacos with any toppings of your choice.
- To make pineapple chicken (baked version), mix all the ingredients together (omit the cornstarch) and marinate for an hour. The, spread on a baking tray and bake at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the excess liquid is reduced.
- DON’T use this recipe for slow cooker pineapple chicken wings. The wings got too soft and started falling apart.
If you liked this recipe, you may like some of these other easy slow cooker dinner ideas:
Slow Cooker Pineapple Chicken
- 2 pounds Boneless chicken breasts cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 cup Pineapple chunks
- 1 tbsp Ginger paste
- 1 tbsp Garlic paste
- ¼ tsp Red chili flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp Sriracha sauce
- 1 tbsp Soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Vinegar
- ¼ cup Honey
- ⅓ cup Pineapple juice
- 1½ cups Red pepper yellow peppers, orange peppers, onions, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 2 tbsp Cornstarch
- 2 tbsp Cilantro or parsley finely chopped
In a slow cooker, add chicken, pineapple chunks, ginger paste, garlic paste, red chili flakes, salt, pepper, Sriracha sauce, soy sauce, vinegar, honey, pineapple juice. Mix everything together. Cover and cook for on high 1 hour.
Add all the peppers and onions. Mix everything together. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes.
In a small mixing bowl, add about ⅓ reserved liquid from the slow cooker and cornstarch. Mix it together until the cornstarch is fully dissolved. Add this mixture in the slow cooker. Mix everything. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes.
Garnish with cilantro or parsley.
Serve with rice and enjoy!
- Read all my tips above.
- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Well, that’s all for today.
Until next time, tata my lovelies!