How to Make Ice Cream Cake
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Easy ice cream cake recipe, homemade with simple ingredients. This decadent layer cake is composed of two layers of chocolate cake, sandwiched between a layer of ice cream. Then, it’s covered in whipped cream and decorated with sprinkles.
*Thank you Albertsons Companies for sponsoring today’s post so that I can share this recipe with all of you. As always, all opinions are mine.*
When I think of classic cakes, this cake would definitely be on that list. Obviously, I took it over the top and decorated with ganache and sugar wafer cone to create the illusion of ice cream melting but that is optional.
Also, it tastes so much better than any store-bought or bakery version I have ever tried plus it’s made at a fraction of the cost.
It should also be noted that this recipe is different than an ice cream sandwich cake or an ice cream cone cake. Those are different but can easily be confused with this one I am sharing today.
Ebooks by Cakewhiz
How to make ice cream cake?
- Prepare ice cream layer– Spread softened ice cream in a round cake pan and freezing until it solidifies.
- Bake cakes– Bake 2 round chocolate cakes and let them cool down.
- Assemble– Place one chocolate cake on a cake stand and top it off with the ice cream layer and finally, the other cake.
- Ice cake– Cover the entire cake in whipped cream.
- Decorate– Fill an ice cream cone with chocolate frosting and flip it upside down on top of the cake. Pour ganache. Toss sprinkles.
- Enjoy! Let the cake thaw at room temperature for a few minutes before slicing.
I used two O Organics® ice cream flavors in this recipe today: Cookies and Cream as well as Fudge Cup Moose Tracks. They are both so rich and creamy and my family (especially my kiddo) is obsessed with them.
O Organics ice creams are available in my area exclusively at Jewel-Osco and the quality is exceptional. They are USDA-certified organic and feature premium ingredients, and are available in all Albertsons Companies family of stores, including Albertsons, Safeway, ACME Markets, Vons, Pavilions, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Shaw’s, Star Market, United Supermarkets and Carrs/Safeway.
Furthermore, I have an awesome offer to share with you: Add any one O Organics and Open Nature ice cream products with the Promo code: ICECREAM at checkout to save $1.00.
Homemade ice cream cake toppings and frostings
The classic choice is whipped cream and sprinkles but you can get as creative as you like.
Add other toppings such as a drizzle of warm peanut butter, Nutella, fudge sauce, Caramel Sauce, ganache, Dulce de Leche. Toss some sprinkles or roughly chopped cookies, candies, nuts, chocolate chips, chocolate bars.
- Birthday cake ice cream cake– Add sprinkles in the ice cream and also use a funfetti cake and decorate the cake with sprinkles and top it off with small colorful candles.
- Cookies and cream Oreo ice cream cake– Use Oreo ice cream and Oreo frosting and decorated with chopped up Oreos.
- Strawberry shortcake ice cream cake- Use strawberry ice cream or just mix finely chopped strawberries in vanilla ice cream. Also, decorate the cake with slices of fresh strawberries.
- Red velvet ice cream cake– Use red velvet cake instead of chocolate cake.
- Ice cream cookie cake– Use two big 8 inch Chocolate Chip Cookies instead of the two cakes.
- Ice cream Brownie cake– Use two round 8 inch Fudgy Brownies instead of the two cakes.
- Use colored whipped cream– Add some gel coloring to make a colorful icing.
Tips and Techniques
- Ice cream must be softened– Because that makes it easier to spread evenly in a pan. It should be soft and spreadable and not an ice cream soup.
- How to prevent ice cream layer from sticking to pan? Make sure your pan is lined with foil paper or saran wrap that has been greased with oil.
- Use sharp knife for slicing– This makes really clean-cut slices and prevents the layers from digging into each other.
- Can you put an ice cream cake in the fridge? No. Since the middle layer is an ice cream, it will melt in the fridge and needs to be frozen.
- All layers must be same size- In order for the best professional appearance, the ice cream layer and the cake layers must all be the same size. So, use the same sized pans for everything.
- Don’t assemble or decorate a warm cake– Make sure everything is at room temperature or else the ice cream will start to melt and you will end up with sticky dripping mess.
- Let frozen cake sit at room temperature for 10-15 minutes- This would allow it to thaw, just enough, so that it’s easier to slice.
More Ice Cream Recipes
Easy Ice Cream Cake
- 2 Chocolate cakes 8 inch cakes
- 1 pint Cookies and Cream Ice Cream Softened, I used the O Organics brand
- 1 pint Fudge Cup Moose Tracks Softened, I used the O Organics brand
- 1 cup Chocolate chips Semisweet
- 1 cup Heavy cream
- 1 tbsp Butter Unsalted
- 3 cups Whipped cream
- 1 Waffle cone
- 1 cup Chocolate frosting
- 1/4 cup Sprinkles Rainbow color
- 10 Oreos Roughly chopped
Make cake batter and divide into two round cake pans (Dimensions: 8×2). Bake and let these cakes cool down completely.
While they are baking and cooling, prepare ice cream layer by spreading softened cookies and cream ice cream in a round pan (same size as the cake pan), lined with plastic saran wrap or foil paper that’s been gently greased with oil. Freeze for 10 minutes. Then, spread softened Fudge Cup ice cream on top. Freeze until this layer solidifies.
While that layer is chilling, make chocolate ganache: In a microwave-safe bowl, add chocolate chips, heavy cream and butter. Heat in the microwave at 30 second increments, mixing after each interval. Continue doing this until you have a smooth and creamy mixture. Keep aside.
Place one cake on a cake stand.
Remove ice cream layer from the saran wrap and place that on top of the cake.
Place final cake on top and gently press it to secure it.
Frost entire cake in whipped cream.
Fill an ice cream cone with chocolate frosting and flip it upside down on top of the cake.
Pour ganache on top of the chocolate frosting until some of it starts dripping along the side of the cake.
Toss sprinkles and Oreos on top and near the base of the cake. Enjoy!
- Read all my tips above.
- Keep cake frozen. When you are ready to serve, remove from freezer and let it sit at room temperature 10-15 minutes to make it easier to slice.
- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the freezer for up to 1 week.
Until next time, tata my lovelies!