Back to School Pencil Cake
Use this step by step tutorial to make an easy back to school pencil cake for kids. All you need is vanilla cake and different colors of buttercream icing.
School started for MOST kids here in Chicago and that’s why I made a Back to school pencil cake.
This year is SPECIAL because my little one started pre-school too.
It’s so CUTE seeing him get ready in the mornings, wearing his little back pack!
When I asked him what he wanted for dessert on his first day, he REQUESTED a pencil cake.MY OTHER RECIPES
Now, I have NEVER made a back to school pencil cake…
But, I just DIDN’T have the heart to say “no” to him.
So while he was at school, I got to WORK!
I cut a vanilla pound cake into the SHAPE of a pencil.
Then I used different colors of frosting and the star tip to DECORATE all the details.
In case you are WONDERING why I used a pound cake instead of my regular vanilla cake recipe, that’s because pound cakes are FIRM and dense.
That makes it EASIER to cut and carve them into the shape of your choice.
Also, you can follow the guidelines of this tutorial and decorate the cake in marshmallow fondant instead of buttercream icing.
I just used frosting because it was easier and faster.
Anyways, my little munchkin LOVED this cake!
His face lit up when he came home and saw the cake.
Just watching him dig into it and stuff his mouth with cake made me so happy!
To make this back to school pencil cake, you will need the following SUPPLIES/ INGREDIENTS:
Classic sour cream pound cake (2 loaves)
White cooked flour buttercream (Ermine frosting)
Yellow buttercream icing
Light brown buttercream icing
Black buttercream icing
Pink buttercream icing
Tip # 21
Tip # 4
These are the INSTRUCTIONS:
- Bake two loaves of my classic sour cream pound cake and let them cool down completely.
- Using a sharp knife, cut one big rectangle piece, one small rectangle piece and one triangle piece.
- Arrange the pieces into the pencil shape that you see in this picture.
- Frost the entire cake in white buttercream.
- Use a knife to make marks like I did in this picture.
- Fill a piping bag with yellow icing and attach Tip#21. Pipe a yellow shell design in the middle portion of the pencil cake.
- Fill a piping bag with pink icing and attach Tip#21. Pipe a pink shell design at the back portion of the pencil cake.
- Fill a piping bag with black icing and attach Tip#4. Fill the top pencil tip and the small rectangular strip with black icing.
- Fill a piping bag with light brown icing and attach Tip#21. Pipe a brown shell design near the top of the pencil cake and you are done making an easy back to school pencil cake!
Well, that’s all for today.
If you liked this cake, you may also like some of these other back to school treats:
Until next time, tata my lovelies!