Easy chocolate coffee truffles recipe, homemade with simple ingredients. Filled with mocha or espresso cookie dough and caramel center and decorated with edible silver.
These are a delicious, melt in your mouth kind of truffle. I had so much fun making these and adding a classy bit of silver edible spray besides. The richness of the chocolate paired with the robust mocha flavor is a delightful combination. If you like this combination as well, you will definitely want to try similar desserts, including my Coffee Fudge, Mocha Cupcakes, Chocolate Coffee Cake, and Mocha Brownies with Coffee Glaze.
Table of contents
Key ingredients for mocha truffles
- Chocolate chips- This makes up the outer shell.
- Caramel candy- Be sure they are the soft kind that are moldable.
- Mocha Cookie Dough- This is one of my classic recipes with just a few adjustments.
Omit the egg whites to make it eggless- This way, it can be eaten safely.
Substitute flour- With oat flour, coconut flour, or almond flour.
No candy mold- If you don't have a candy mold on hand, you can simple roll the cookie dough and caramel into balls and then drizzle melted chocolate over the top. You can also use a toothpick to dip them in a bowl of melted chocolate, but they won't be as pretty that way.
Use other chocolate- I used a milk chocolate for these, but you can also use white chocolate or dark chocolate.
Spray or no spray- You can choose a different color of edible spray, like gold, or just omit it altogether.
Add spices- Such as pumpkin spice, cinnamon, allspice, ginger, and more, especially during holidays.
Add extracts- Such as almond, peppermint, maple, coconut, or vanilla. Just be sure not to add more than ½ teaspoon so that the dough is still easily moldable.
How to make easy chocolate coffee truffles recipe from scratch?
- Paint a thick coat of chocolate- Inside the candy mold and let set in freezer. (5)
- Prepare mocha cookie dough- That is slightly crumbly in texture. (1)
- Roll the caramel- Into small balls. (2)
- Make flattened cookie dough balls- And place a caramel ball in the center. (3,4)
- Press this ball- Into each cavity of the candy mold. (5)
- Paint a layer of chocolate- On top of the cookie dough. (6)
- Allow chocolate to set in freezer- Then turn it over onto a sheet of wax paper. (7)
- Spray the top of the truffles- With edible silver spray, if desired. (8)
Tips and techniques for espresso truffles
Use a wet paper towel- To wipe off the excess silver spray by dabbing in a random motion to achieve that classy look.
Heat treat flour- Since raw cookie dough was used in this recipe, make sure to heat treat the flour so that no one gets sick.
Don’t make the dough too wet- Or else rolling it into little balls will become very difficult.
Make sure to leave some space on top of each cavity- In the candy mold so as to cover it with melted chocolate.
Use a food grade paint brush- To paint the inside of the candy mold and paint over the top of the truffle. This way it will be smooth and you can easily get all sides and crevices.
Make ahead- You can make these up to 1 week before an event as long as you keep them in a sealed container in the fridge or up to 1 month if you keep them in the freezer.
Room temperature- These can be left in a container for 3-4 hours, but be careful so they don't melt in warm conditions.
Refrigerate- Store these in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Leave them out for 15-20 minutes at room temperature and then enjoy.
Freeze- Store these in a sealed container in the freezer for up to 1 month. Leave them out at room temperature to thaw.
The easiest way is to use candy molds. They will also look more professional. Coat the inside of the mold, add the truffle fill, then cover it again with chocolate. But you can also just roll into balls.
Your chocolate will be as good as your ingredients, so make sure it is high quality. However, you can use white, milk, or dark chocolate for these.
Yes, you can simply roll into balls with your hands. They can be dipped in chocolate using a toothpick, if desired, or just drizzle the chocolate on top.
More easy candy recipes
- Jello Marshmallow Candy (Pinwheels)
- Rocky Road Fudge
- Chocolate Crunch Bars
- Chocolate Blueberry Truffles
- Chocolate Bark
Easy Chocolate Coffee Truffles (Mocha Espresso Truffles)
- Use a paintbrush to paint a thick coating of melted chocolate inside the cavities of the candy mold.
- Place the tray in the freezer for 5 minutes until the chocolate hardens.
- While the chocolate in the mold in chilling, prepare the mocha cookie dough. It will be slightly crumbly because I like it that way. But if you want it to be smoother, add a little more milk (½ teaspoon at a time) until you are satisfied with the consistency.
- Roll out small balls of caramel.
- Spoon out a small portion of the cookie dough and roll it into a ball. Then, flatten it in the center and place a small ball of caramel in here here.
- Now, wrap the cookie dough around the ball of caramel until it’s hidden in the center.
- Place this cookie dough ball into each cavity of the candy mold. Push the dough ball gently with your fingers so that it fits into the mold properly. Make sure to leave some space on top of each cavity so as to cover it with melted chocolate.
- Use a paintbrush to paint a layer of melted chocolate on top of the cookie dough.
- Place the tray in the freezer for about 5 minutes and allow the chocolate to set.
- Remove the tray from the freezer and gently turn it over onto a sheet of wax paper. Tap the top of the tray slightly and the truffles will just fall out.
- Spray the top of the truffles with edible silver spray. This is optional.
- Moisten a paper towel with water. Gently dab the top in a random motion until excess paint comes off. Enjoy!
- Since raw cookie dough was used in this recipe, make sure to heat treat the flour so that no one gets sick. Omit the egg whites to make it eggless. This way, it can be eaten safely. You can also substitute with oat flour or coconut flour or almond flour.
- Don’t make the dough too wet or else rolling it into little balls will become very difficult.
- Store these in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Leave them out for 15-20 minutes at room temperature and then enjoy.