Quick and easy scotcheroos, made with simple ingredients. They are healthier with no corn syrup. Loaded with chocolate and peanut butter. So ooey gooey!
*Thank you Vital Proteins for sponsoring today's post so that I can share this recipe with all of you. As always, all opinions are mine.*
This classic treat doesn't last too long at our place, especially during the holidays. They are ooey gooey, loaded with peanut butter and chocolate. They are made healthier because no corn syrup is used. They are just as good as these old fashioned No Bake Peanut Butter Bars.
In case you don't know, these are actually peanut butter Rice Krispie bars, also known as "no bake cereal bars" that are topped off with a melted butterscotch chocolate mixture.
This is the best scotcheroos recipe!
I have tried various recipes but keep coming back to this one because the flavors are so balanced and the texture is perfect.
How do you cook scotcheroos in the microwave? How to make scotcheroos?
- Cook honey, sugar, peanut butter over medium heat.
- Remove from heat and mix in cereal.
- Spread mixture in a pan.
- Top it off with melted chocolate and butterscotch chips.
- Chill, slice and you are done.
If you want to make these in the microwave instead of stovetop, you would heat honey, sugar and peanut butter in the microwave at 30 second increments and mixing each time, until sugar is fully melted and mixture is smooth. The rest of the steps are the same.
How do you make scotcheroos with marshmallows?
You would make your typical Rice Krispie treats with marshmallows but also stir in some peanut butter and top it off with melted butterscotch and chocolate chips.
How to make scotcheroos without corn syrup?
The recipe below uses no corn syrup. It can easily be replaced with maple syrup or honey in the same quantity.
Can you freeze scotcheroos?
Yes! They can be frozen in an air-tight sealed container for up to 1 month. Let it thaw at room temperature for 30 minutes and enjoy.
How to store scotcheroos?
Store them in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 1 week. Separate the bars with wax paper to prevent them from sticking together.
Why are my scotcheroos hard? How to soften hard scotcheroos?
That usually happens where people use corn syrup and over-cook the sugar mixture. You need to bring it to a boil and quickly remove it from heat. Over-boiling makes hard bars that very difficult to slice and hard to eat.
Tips for Scotcheroo bars
- Use a nonstick pot because that prevents sticking and burning. Be very careful not to burn the peanut butter mixture because there is no way to fix that.
- Peanut butter can be replaced with almond butter or cookie butter or any chocolate spread you like.
- Use creamy peanut butter rather than the chunky one to make it easier to slice.
- To make bite-sized bars, cut small slices.
- Chex cereal is a good replacement for rice cereal.
- If you are not fond of honey, you can use maple syrup.
Peanut butter scotcheroos vs. Chocolate scotcheroos
Instead of peanut butter, you can use a chocolate spread like Nutella to really enhance the chocolate flavor.
Rice krispie scotcheroos vs. Chex scotcheroos
Either can be used. The classic and most popular version uses Rice Krispies. I do think the Chex version is more crunchy and the Rick Krispie version is more chewy.
To make this dessert healthier, I used pure peanut butter, no margarine or shortening. I also reduced the quantity of granulated sugar. Furthermore, I replaced corn syrup with honey and replaced milk chocolate with dark chocolate. Plus, there is some protein powder sneaked in here too! I am a big fan of Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides and have been using it for a couple of years now. I used 1 packet in this recipe. The fact that it’s flavorless, colorless and odorless makes it so easy to add it into my recipes without any problems. It’s packed with so many wonderful nutrients that are good for your health! It’s affordable and absolutely worth it! I seriously can go on and on about it forever…lol.
Other chocolate peanut butter desserts
- Easy Peanut Butter Blossoms
- Easy Buckeye Recipe (Peanut Butter Balls)
- Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Bars (Eggless)
- Chocolate Crunch Bars
- In a large nonstick pan, add honey and sugar and cook medium heat until mixture is not grainy.
- Add peanut butter, protein powder and cook until mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Remove from heat and mix in cereal.
- Spread mixture in a rectangle pan (Dimensions: 9x13), lined with parchment paper or wax paper.
- Spread it evenly and pack it down with a spatula. Keeps aside.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, add butterscotch chips and chocolate chips and heat in the microwave until fully melted.
- Pour melted chocolate on top of the cereal mixture and spread it out.
- Chill for 1 hour or until the chocolate sets.
- Slice and enjoy.
- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 5 days.