Classic, easy crumb cake recipe with cake mix, homemade with simple ingredients. Yellow vanilla cake is topped off with cinnamon streusel crumble topping.
Let's face it. Many of us these days have too much to do in our busy lives and rarely make anything from scratch anymore. To save you some precious time without sacrificing flavor, try this simple and tasty treat! You can also try these simple cake recipes that are packed with Fall flavors: Cinnamon Roll Cake (With Cake Mix) and Easy Spice Cake (Chai Tea Cake).
How to make easy old fashioned cinnamon crumb cake recipe with cake mix?
- Mix wet ingredients- This includes eggs, water, and oil.
- Add dry ingredients- This includes cake mix and flour.
- Spread batter- In a greased and floured cake pan.
- Make topping- By mixing together cake mix, flour, brown sugar, butter, cinnamon powder.
- Sprinkle- On top of cake batter.
- Bake- Until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool cake - Until room temperature.
- Drizzle glaze- On top of cake.
What is the difference between coffee cake and crumb cake?
There is only a slight difference between these two cakes. Crumb cake tends to have a thicker, more prominent streusel topping. Coffee cake, on the other hand, has a thinner layer of topping with the bulk of the dessert being the cake.
What is crumble topping/ streusel topping made of?
This yummy topping is made of a few simple ingredients:
- Reserved Cake mix
- All-purpose flour
- Brown sugar
- Cinnamon powder
Why is my cake dry and crumbly?
There are typically two main reasons for this. First, you may have added too much flour. Be sure to measure correctly and level it off evenly. Second, the cake might be overcooked and became dry. Be sure to follow all directions while keeping an eye on your cake and know the quirks of your oven- each is unique.
Why is my cake dense and rubbery?
Oftentimes a dense cake is a sign of too much liquid. Sometimes even too much sugar or over-mixing can be the culprit. Be sure to measure all ingredients according to the directions and cook at the right temperature to prevent your cake from falling, creating a more dense cake.
For this cake, I did a simple glaze, but there are many different options to drizzle over your cake:
- Melted chocolate
- Easy Chocolate Ganache (2 Ingredients)
- Homemade Caramel Sauce
- Dulce de Leche
- Homemade Whipped Cream
- Vanilla ice cream
Variations for crumble cake
Double/ Thick crumb- Double streusel topping ingredients for an even thicker top layer.
Add other spices- I only used cinnamon, but you can also use nutmeg, cloves, allspice, or even pumpkin spice.
Add nuts to topping- Try roughly chopped walnuts, almonds pecans for an extra crunch and layer of flavor.
Layer on the fruit- Add dried cranberries, dried cherries or coconut flakes in the batter or topping. You can also add a thin layer of fruit pie filling before putting on the streusel for a German-inspired dessert. Here are some tasty fillings: Raspberry Pie Filling or Peach Pie Filling or Apple Pie Filling.
Try other cake flavors- I used a yellow cake mix for the classic version but you can try chocolate, lemon, pumpkin for a different flavor profile altogether.
Tips and techniques
Don't over-mix cake batter- Because that can cause the cake to collapse during baking and it can also become dense and rubbery.
Grease pan- Because that prevents the cake from sticking to the pan.
Use unsalted butter- So that your cake doesn't taste too salty.
Melt butter- For the right texture in the streusel mixture.
Reduce amount of spice- If you prefer a milder tasting cake.
How to know if cake is done baking? Insert a toothpick in the center of the cake. If it comes out clean the cake is done. If the toothpick comes out sticky, the cake needs more time to cook.
Use room temperature ingredients- Because that allows the ingredients to blend together smoothly and evenly.
Don't forget to reserve some cake mix- You will need it for the topping.
Topping mixture is supposed to be crumbly- Please don't pour more liquid or butter to thin it out.
Don't glaze a warm cake- Because it spreads and melts all over the cake and looks messy.
Make ahead instructions– You can make this cake and store it in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 2 days before serving.
Refrigerate- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Freeze– Once the cake cools to room temperature, store in an airtight container for up to 2 months and then thaw overnight in fridge. The topping won't be as crunchy any more.
More Doctored Cake Mix Recipes
- Pistachio Cake (With Cake Mix)
- Boston Cream Pie (With Cake Mix)
- Crockpot Chocolate Molten Lava Cake (With Cake Mix)
- Louisiana Crunch Cake (With Cake Mix)
- German Chocolate Cake (With Cake Mix)
Easy Crumb Cake (With Cake Mix)
- 1 cup Powdered sugar
- 1-2 tablespoon Water
- In a large mixing bowl, add eggs, water, oil and mix until smooth.
- Add cake mix and flour and mix until just combined.
- Spread batter in a greased and floured cake pan (Dimensions: 9x13 rectangle pan or two 8x8 pans).
- Make topping by adding reserved cake mix, flour, brown sugar, butter, cinnamon powder in another mixing bowl,
- Mix with a fork until crumbly.
- Sprinkle this topping on top of the cake batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for about 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out mostly clean with a few crumbs.
- Allow cake to cool to room temperature.
- While cake is cooling, prepare glaze by mixing together powdered sugar and water in a small mixing bowl until thick and smooth.
- Drizzle this on top of the cake. You don't have to use all of it. Enjoy!
- Read all my tips above.
- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days.