Creamy Pesto Chicken Recipe (One Pot)
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Quick and easy one pot creamy pesto chicken, made with simple ingredients. This 30 minute dinner idea is packed with cheese and perfect for busy weeknights.
If you have pesto in your fridge, you need to make this CREAMY pesto chicken for dinner tonight.
I have seen VARIOUS recipes for pesto chicken ranging from grilled pesto chicken to baked pesto chicken to stuffed pesto chicken to pesto chicken bake BUT I like to make pesto chicken on stovetop.
It’s fast, easy and ready in under 30 minutes.
Here are some TIPS for making creamy pesto chicken:
- Use a NON-STICK pan to prevent the chicken from sticking to the pan.
- Use FRESH ginger, garlic and basil since it adds so much flavor.
- ADJUST the quantities of salt, pepper, ginger, garlic, Italian seasoning based on your preference AND also based on the type of pesto you are using. Some pestos are already seasoned very well and no additional seasoning may be needed.
- I used boneless chicken cubes but you can also make pesto chicken thighs or drumsticks.
- I only use cherry tomatoes in this recipe but you can also make pesto chicken with veggies like green beans, broccoli, onions and mushrooms.
- For easy basil pesto chicken pasta recipe, just toss cooked pasta into the prepared pesto chicken mixture at the end. Mix thoroughly and serve.
- For a slightly healthy chicken pesto recipe, use low fat cream cheese.
You can use this recipe to make:
- pesto chicken salad
- pesto chicken sandwich
- pesto chicken pasta
- pesto chicken pizza
- pesto chicken marinade (omit cream cheese)
What goes with pesto chicken?
You can serve it with:
- Pasta/ Noodles
- Zoodles (Zucchini noodles)
- Spaghetti sqaush
How to make pesto chicken?
The process is very SIMPLE. Start off by heating oil in a pan. Then, add chicken, ginger garlic, herbs and spices, pesto. Cover and cook until chicken is cooked. Reduce the liquid. Then, add cherry tomatoes. Cover and cook for a little bit. Finally, add cream cheese and mix everything until cream. Garnish with fresh basil, mozzarella cheese, parmesan cheese. Enjoy!
You can also use this recipe to make baked chicken with pesto sauce OR grilled chicken with pesto sauce. Instead of the stovetop, you will use a grill or oven.
If you liked this recipe for chicken with pesto sauce and tomatoes, you may like some of these other chicken dinner ideas:
Creamy Pesto Chicken Recipe
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 1/2 lb Chicken breasts Cut into 2 inch cubes
- 1 tbsp Ginger Finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Garlic Finely chopped
- Salt To taste
- Pepper To taste
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 cup Basil pesto
- 1 cup Cherry tomatoes Sliced in half
- 1/4 cup Cream cheese
- 2 tbsp Mozzarella Optional, Shredded, For garnish
- 2 tbsp Parmesan Optional, Shredded, For garnish
- 2 tbsp Basil Optional, Fresh, Thinly sliced
Heat oil in a wide non-stick pan on medium high heat.
Add chicken, ginger, garlic, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning and pesto and mix everything together.
Cover and cook for about 10 minutes.
Then, uncover the lid and continue cooking for another 3-4 minutes until the liquid is reduced a bit.
Add cherry tomatoes.
Cover and cook for 1-2 minutes.
Add cream cheese and mix it all until well-blended.
Garnish with shredded mozzarella cheese, parmesan cheese and fresh basil.
Serve over pasta and enjoy!
- Read all my tips above.
- I used very plain basil pesto without any seasonings/salt/pepper. If you are using pesto that has all that, you will have to adjust quantities of herbs and spices accordingly.
- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Well, that’s all for today.
Until next time, tata my lovelies!