Quick and easy chocolate bundt cake recipe from scratch, made with simple ingredients. Truly the best, rich, soft, moist fudge cake with chocolate ganache.
How to make chocolate bundt cake recipe from scratch?
- Prepare the chocolate mixture by combining and heating together butter, coffee, cocoa powder.
- Separately, mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda.
- Pour the cooled chocolate mixture, eggs, sour cream, vanilla and mix until batter is smooth.
- Bake and let it cool down.
- Pour ganache on top of the cake and you are done.
How long to bake bundt cake?
Typically, it's baked for about 55 minutes to 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Can I bake regular cake in bundt pan?
No, regular cakes are not as dense or firm as a bundt cake, making it difficult to remove it from the bundt pan without falling apart and breaking.
What flour to use?
To make gluten free chocolate bundt cake, replace all-purpose flour with 1:1 gluten free flour blend. I have also tried to make this cake with other types of flour (oat flour, whole wheat, coconut flour, almond flour e.t.c) and it did not yield good results at all. So, I don't recommend it.
How to prevent homemade bundt cakes from sticking to a pan?
- Generously, grease the pan with melted shortening or butter. Sprinkle it with flour and toss it around until the entire pan is covered in a thin layer of grease and flour. Invert the pan over a sink and dump the excess flour.
- Use a pastry brush to apply butter or shortening to all the little nooks and crannies evenly.
- I do not recommend using oil spray because it has a tendency to slide down the sides and makes a pool at the bottom, which causes the cake to stick to the sides.
- Don't forget to grease the tube of the pan because the batter can stick to this and removal of cake becomes impossible without breaking.
- Use a good quality nonstick bundt pan.
- Don't use older, scratched, worn out pans non-stick because their surface will not be smooth to allow the cake to come out seamlessly.
- Bundt cakes are very fragile and can break easily during removal from pan. Allow the cake to rest for 10 minutes right side up. Then, flip it over to a cooling rack and let it rest for another 5 minutes, before removing the pan. This process allows the cake to cool down a firm up a little.
- If you have turned the pan over to a cooling rack and the cake is still non coming out, tap on the outside of the pan to loosen the cake inside so that it comes out easily. Don't bang roughly on it, which will obviously cause it to break.
- Don't use a pan with very detailed intricate designs since there is a very high chance the cake will break, when turned over OR if it does come out of the pan, the detailed design may not have fully transferred to the baked cake.
- Finally, if nothing is working (hey! sometimes, it happens!), loosen the edges of the cake by gently sliding a thin spatula down the sides of the pan and then turn it over to release it.
Tips and techniques
- Use full fat sour cream for maximum fat content, which adds a lot of moisture to this cake.
- Don't replace sour cream with buttermilk because that will thin out the batter and yield a very odd texture.
- Don't even think about using a doctored cake mix recipe because those are usually so soft and tender that they stick to the cake pan and don't come out of the pan properly.
- If your cake develops a dome on top after baking, slice it off with a sharp knife and then flip it onto a cake dish or cake stand. This will make it more stable and prevent it from wobbling.
- Use really strong brewed coffee, which enhances the chocolate flavor in this cake even further.
- If you are using a dark colored pan, it will bake quicker. Keep a close eye on it from 40 minutes onwards.
- Don't over-mix the batter because that makes a very tough cake.
- Allow the cake to cool down completely before pouring ganache on top because if your pour it while the cake is hot, the icing will melt and make a mess.
- Chocolate orange bundt cake- Add 1 tablespoon orange zest in the cake batter. Replace ganache with Easy Orange Frosting
- Chocolate cherry bundt cake- Slice the cake in half and fill it with Maraschino Cherry Frosting. Spread frosting on top and then drizzle chocolate ganache on top of the frosting.
- Chocolate caramel cake- Replace ganache with Homemade Caramel Sauce.
- Transform this double chocolate bundt cake to a triple chocolate bundt cake by stirring in ⅓ cup mini chocolate chips in the cake batter and also tossing some
- Instead of ganache, you can top off this cake with American Buttercream Frosting or Chocolate Buttercream Frosting. Those are classic combinations.
- Another topping option for chocolate cake is chocolate glaze/ chocolate drizzle, which is made my combining and heating together sugar, cocoa powder, milk and a little butter.
Other easy cake recipes
- Mini Bundt Cake Recipes
- Bundt Cake Decorating Ideas
- Fat Free Chocolate Cake
- Easy Chocolate Oreo Cake
- Banana Chocolate Chip Cake
- Chocolate Marshmallow Cake
- Chocolate Depression Cake (Wacky Cake)
Easy Chocolate Bundt Cake Recipe
- 2 tablespoon Sprinkles Or mini chocolate chips
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda.
- Pour the chocolate mixture, eggs and sour cream, vanilla extract into the dry flour mixture bowl and and mix until just combined and smooth.
- Pour this batter in a greased and floured a 10 to 12 cup nonstick bundt pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 55 minutes to 1 hour or until an inserted toothpick in the center comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool right side up for 10 minutes. Then, turn it over to a cooling rack and let it cool for another 5 minutes and then, gently remove the pan off the cake.
- Allow the cake to cool down completely.
- While the cake is cooling, prepare the ganache icing: Add chocolate chips and heavy cream in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat in 20 second increments and mixing often until icing is silky smooth.
- Pour this on top of the cooled cake.
- Decorate with sprinkles and enjoy.
- Read all my tips above.
- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Until next time, tata my lovelies!