Caramel Brownies (With Brownie Mix)
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Quick and easy caramel brownies recipe with brownie mix, homemade with simple ingredients. Rich, fudgy and ooey gooey and loaded with chocolate and caramel.
Everyone enjoys the ooey gooey goodness of a brownie and what makes it even better is if the recipe comes together super quickly. Keeping that in mind, I already shared these Cake Mix Brownies, that started off with a chocolate cake mix. Today, I am sharing another easy version, which starts off with a brownie mix. That caramel layer in the middle is going to make you swoon! Also, just like my Chocolate Mint Brownies and Fudgy Oreo Brownies, these brownies will also be irresistible.
How to make caramel brownies?
- Prepare batter– Mix together brownie mix, eggs, oil, water until combined.
- Prepare first layer– Spread half of the brownie batter in a pan.
- Bake– Until top is firm and brownie is partially baked.
- Prepare caramel mixture– Mix together caramels, condensed milk, and butter in a bowl and heat in the microwave until thick and smooth.
- Add caramel layer– Spread caramel mixture over the partially baked brownie.
- Set– Let it set for 5-10 minutes so that the caramel layer becomes slightly firm.
- Add second brownie layer– Spread remaining brownie batter on top of the caramel layer slowly and gently.
- Add chocolate chips– Sprinkle them on top.
- Bake Again– Until an inserted toothpick in the center comes out mostly clean with a few sticky crumbs.
- Enjoy– Let it chill in the fridge. Cut slices and enjoy!
What makes brownies fudgy vs cakey?
A fudgy brownie will have a higher fat ratio to flour ratio. Cake-like brownies are the opposite where the flour ratio is higher than the fat ratio.
Variations for chocolate caramel brownie recipe
Salted caramel brownies– Mix in some seal salt in the caramel sauce for a sweet and salty flavor profile.
Turtle brownies– Sprinkle roughly chopped salted pecans on top of the caramel layer and then, top off with the brownie batter.
Ebooks by Cakewhiz
Make brownie bites– Cut them into little bite sized pieces and you can dip them in melted chocolate or just drizzle them with chocolate. Package them in an edible gift box for a homemade gift.
Add a little crunch– Give it some crunch by mixing Rice Krispies with the caramel mixture.
Serve with ice cream– Add a scoop of your favorite ice cream on top of a slice and toss some sprinkles.
Add nuts– Sprinkle roughly chopped walnuts, pecans, cashews, almonds on top, before baking.
Add Oreos– Sprinkle roughly chopped Oreos on top, prior to baking.
Refrigerate– In a sealed container for up to 3 days and reheat in the microwave to make soft and ooey gooey again.
Freeze– In a sealed container for up to 1 month. Let it thaw at room temperature when you are ready to enjoy them.
Reheating brownies– Reheat leftovers in the microwave for 5-10 seconds until they are soft again.
Tips and Techniques
All ingredients for the brownie batter must be at room temperature– That’s because they blend together smoothly and evenly.
Caramel swirl vs. Caramel layer– If you don’t want a layer of caramel, spread the entire brownie batter in the pan. Then, swirl the caramel sauce on top with a toothpick and bake.
Use the big family size brownie mix– It should be the 18.4 oz. one and not the smaller one. The smaller box does not make enough batter to create 2 layers.
How long can these brownies last? They last for 3 days in a sealed container and stored in the fridge. They can be reheated in the microwave for 15 seconds.
Can you freeze these brownies? Yes, they freeze well. They can be frozen in plastic wrap for up to 3 months.
Can these be served hot or cold? It is all up to you. I recommend eating them warm.
Why are my brownies raw in the middle? They were either not baked long enough or the oven temperature is not correct and high enough.
Why are my brownies dry? They probably were over-baked.
Use unsalted butter– Because that prevents these treats from becoming too salty.
Line the pan with aluminum foil and spray with oil– Because this prevents the brownies from sticking to the pan and and makes it easier to remove. Also, this makes clean up so much easier.
Don’t over-mix batter– Because that can yield tough brownies. There is nothing wrong with some clumps in the batter.
Cut perfectly sharp slices– Allow the brownie to chill first in the fridge, which will make it firm and then, use a sharp knife to cut small slices.
You must use condensed milk- It cannot be replaced with evaporated milk because they are not the same.
More Brownie Recipes
- Fudgy Brownies With Crackly Tops
- Fudgy Black Bean Brownies
- 3 Ingredient Nutella Brownies
- Fudgy Avocado Brownies
- Chocolate Orange Brownies
- Cheesecake Brownies
- Carrot Brownies
- Mocha Brownies With Coffee Glaze
Chocolate Caramel Brownies
- 1 box Fudge brownie mix Family size, 18.4 oz.
- 2 Eggs Large
- 2/3 cup Oil
- 1/4 cup Water
- 2 cups Caramels I used the Kraft brand
- 1 can Condensed milk 14 oz. can
- 1/4 cup Butter Unsalted
- 1-2 cups Chocolate chips Semisweet
- In a large mixing bowl, brownie mix, eggs, oil, water and mix until combined.
- Use a spatula to spread half of the batter in a rectangle pan (Dimensions: 9×13) that’s been lined with aluminum foil and greased with oil.
- Bake the layer for 12-15 minutes at 350 degrees F until the top is firm and brownie is partially baked.
- While that's baking, add caramels, condensed milk, butter in a mixing bowl and heat in microwave, mixing often, until mixture is smooth. It should be thick. You can also add a little sea salt to make salted caramel, if you like.
- Remove the partially baked brownie from the oven.
- Pour the caramel mixture over the brownie and spread it with a spatula.
- Let it set for 5-10 minutes so that it becomes slightly firm.
- Spread remaining brownie batter on top of the caramel layer, slowly and gently, being careful not to push it into the caramel layer.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips on top.
- Bake again at 350 degrees F for 20-25 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick in the center comes out mostly clean with a few sticky crumbs.
- Let it chill in the fridge for 1-2 hours so that it becomes firm, making it easy to cut perfect, even slices. Enjoy!
- Read all my tips above.
- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days. If you want to enjoy them warm, heat them in the microwave for 15 seconds.