Sweet Potato Bread
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
The best, classic, old fashioned, easy sweet potato bread recipe, homemade with simple ingredients. This super moist and tender quick bread is loaded with canned sweet potatoes and chai spices.
Also called sweet potato loaf, this recipe is unique and beyond delicious! It combines two of my favorite flavors in all of the food world- sweet potato and chai spice! You will also love how quickly it comes together, hence why it is often referred to as a type of quick bread. For more sweet potato desserts, be sure to try this Easy Sweet Potato Pie.
How To Make Sweet Potato Bread Recipe From Scratch?
- Mix wet ingredients– This includes sweet potatoes, sweet potato juice, eggs, oil, water, sugar.
- Mix dry ingredients separately- This includes chai spice, baking powder, baking soda, flour.
- Bake- Until an inserted toothpick in the center comes out clean.
- Enjoy- Let it cool completely at room temperature and then, cut slices.
Sweet potato bread pudding– Serve it with pudding in a trifle style with layers of Homemade Vanilla Pudding or pumpkin pudding and small slices of this quick bread. It’s a faster and easier twist than a classic bread pudding.
Sweet potato banana bread– Reduce the quantity of sweet potato by half and replace that with mashed ripe banana.
Use purple sweet potatoes– Simply replace regular sweet potatoes with purple sweet potatoes for a fun color variation.
Add toppings– Such as Maple Frosting or Marshmallow Frosting, sugar glaze, Chocolate Ganache Frosting, Homemade Caramel Sauce, or Dulce De Leche. These should only be added, once the bread has completely cool down.
Add-ins– Consider stirring any of the following in the batter: chopped roasted nuts, dried fruits, shredded coconut, and even chocolate chips. I highly recommend using mini chocolate chips because they are less likely to sink in the bread. Check out my How To Stop Chocolate Chips From Sinking post for more information on this topic!
Sweet potato muffins– Simply fill cupcake liners 1/2 way with the batter and bake until an inserted toothpick in the center comes out clean.
Add extracts– Such as vanilla, maple, or bourbon.
Add streusel topping– This adds a lovely crunch on top and looks beautiful too. You can even add a drizzle of glaze on top when it cools down.
Why did my bread not rise? Why did my bread sink?
There could be a few different reasons:
- Inaccurate measurements– You must use measuring cups and measuring spoons to ensure the recipe works the way it is supposed to.
- Batter was over-mixed– There is nothing wrong with having some lumps in your batter. If you over-mix, too much gluten forms in the batter and that prevents it from rising properly. Furthermore, also affects the texture and makes it very dense and rubbery.
Tips And Techniques
Why is the baking time so long? It is necessary to cook for 60-70 minutes in order for the bread to cook all the way through and absorb all the liquid so it sets properly. Stick a toothpick into the center to check if it is done. If the toothpick comes out clean, then it is ready to be removed from the oven!
Don’t over bake- This will make the bread very dry and crumbly.
Grease and flour pan– Because this prevents the bread from sticking to the pan. You can line the pan with parchment paper instead of greasing it, if you prefer.
Adjust amount of chai spice– This is based on your preference. You can also replace it with a combination of ground cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg OR it can also be replaced with pumpkin pie spice.
Make sure to drain the sweet potatoes but still save some of the liquid– That liquid has a lot of flavor and is a vital ingredient in this recipe but not the entire canned amount is required. Measure properly.
All ingredients should be at room temperature- That’s because they blend together smoothly and evenly.
Refrigerate- In a sealed container in the fridge for up to 5 days
Freeze– Wrap well and store in a freezer safe bag or container for up to 1 month. Thaw at room temperature for an hour or in the fridge overnight.
More Quick Sweet Bread Recipes
Sweet Potato Bread
Easy sweet potato bread recipe, homemade with simple ingredients. Super moist and tender quick bread, loaded with canned sweet potatoes and chai spices.
- 1 can Sweet potatoes 15 oz. can, Drained into a bowl
- 1/4 cup Sweet potato juice Reserved from canned sweet potatoes
- 2 Eggs Large
- 1/3 cup Oil
- 1/3 cup Water
- 1 1/4 cup Granulated sugar
- 1.5 tsp Chai spice Can be replaced with a combination of ground cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg OR can also be replaced with pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 tsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- 1 3/4 cups All-purpose flour
In a large mixing bowl, add sweet potatoes, sweet potato juice and mash with a fork or potato masher until smooth.
Add eggs, oil, water, sugar and mix until combined.
Add chai spice, baking powder, baking soda, flour and mix until just combined. Sometimes, I add a very small amount of orange food coloring to make this bread more vibrant but this is optional.
Pour batter in a greased and floured large loaf pan (Dimensions: 9×5) and spread evenly with a spatula. Instead of greasing and flouring the pan, some people like to line the pan with parchment paper.
Bake at 350 degrees F for 60-70 minutes or until an inserted toothpick in the center comes out clean.
Remove from oven and let it cool completely at room temperature.
Then, use a sharp knife to cut slices. Enjoy!
- Read all my tips above.
- 1/2 cup add-ins could be added such as mini chocolate chips or chopped pecans or walnuts.
- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 5 days.