Shredded Chicken Tacos
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Quick and easy shredded chicken tacos recipe that makes a simple 30 minute meal. Packed with Mexican flavors and can be made on the stovetop or slow cooker.
*Thank you Old El Paso for sponsoring today’s post so that I can share this recipe for shredded chicken tacos with all of you. As always, all opinions are mine.*
Guys! Be prepared to make the most AMAZING shredded chicken tacos ever!
Cinco De Mayo is coming up and just like most years, my family and friends will be coming over to our place and we will have a Mexican FIESTA potluck.
Now, my family is really big on holidays. It gives us a chance to spend time together ands and catch up with everyone, while enjoying delicious food.
I am responsible for making these Mexican SHREDDED chicken tacos that I have been making for years,
These EASY shredded chicken tacos with taco seasoning are DELICIOUS and my guests always comes back for second and third helpings.
Before everyone arrives, I set up a table with VARIOUS toppings, tortillas and taco shells.
This way, everyone can mix and match and make their own UNIQUE tacos.
To be honest, I am NOT sure if these are authentic Mexican shredded chicken tacos/ authentic chicken tacos BUT they are truly the BEST chicken tacos I have ever made.
This easy chicken tacos recipe is made in just half an hour with a few SIMPLE and basic ingredients that are already in your kitchen pantry.
So, you might be wondering: What toppings to put on a taco?
Here are some POPULAR ideas for taco toppings:
- Sour cream
- Sliced avocados
- Finely chopped tomatoes and onions
- Mild/ spicy Salsa or Pico de gallo salsa or Salsa verde
- Finely sliced jalapenos or pickled jalapenos
- Shredded Mexican cheese blend or shredded Montery Jack cheese
I DON’T recommend using all the toppings at once.
Pick a few from the list and have FUN with different flavor combinations.
Here are some TIPS for making perfect shredded chicken tacos:
- I DON’T recommend storing leftover chicken tacos since the shells will get soggy. However you can store leftover shredded chicken in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- You can also use chicken strips instead of chicken breasts and stir in some onions and bell peppers near the end to make easy chicken fajita.
- I used store bought taco seasoning BUT you can use homemade taco seasoning too.
- If you want this chicken filling to have more sauce, DON’T reduce the water completely. Turn off the heat when you have a thick mixture.
- Using frozen chicken breasts will INCREASE the cooking time since it releases more water.
- Serving size may VARY depending on how much shredded chicken you are filling in each taco. Also, more filling is usually added in soft tacos than compared to hard tacos.
- This easy Mexican shredded chicken recipe can be used BEYOND tacos. Use them in other Mexican recipes like enchiladas, burritos, quesadillas, sliders OR serve them with Mexican rice or cilantro lime rice.
- To make shredded chicken tacos- slow cooker version, just dump all the ingredients in the slow cooker. Cover lid and cook on high for 2 hours.
- There are so many types of tacos in the market. Use whichever you like. These Stand ‘N Stuff hard taco shells from Old El Paso are my family’s favorite. They are very CRUNCHY plus they have a FLAT base. That means they don’t wobble around your plate, making it easier to fill them. I buy them up from Walmart. You can check them out here.
Here are some COMMON questions and answers pertaining to these tacos that should be helpful:
How do you make chicken tacos?
First, prepare the chicken taco filling in the slow cooker or stovetop. My recipe below is made on the stovetop and is ready in only 30 minutes. Then fill the tacos with this chicken filling and top it off with your favorite toppings. Then, enjoy!
How to do you shred chicken thighs? How do you shred chicken with a fork?
Use 2 forks to tear the chicken into small pieces. You can also shred chicken in the KitchenAid, using the paddle attachment.
How do you make shredded chicken tacos? How do you cook chicken breast for tacos? How do you make taco filling?
Start off by heating some oil in a non-stick pan. Add onions and chicken breasts. When the chicken is no longer pink, add the taco seasoning and broth. Cover and cook for a little bit. Then, remove the lid, while stirring occasionally until the liquid is reduced to a thick mixture and chicken is fully cooked through. Turn off the heat and shred the chicken. Fill them in your tacos and add your toppings. Then, it’s taco time!
How do you make chicken soft tacos?
You can prepare the shredded chicken, according to the recipe described below and then use it as a filling in soft tortillas. I highly suggest warming the tortillas on the stovetop or in the oven.
If you liked this post, you may like some of these other easy weeknight meals/ easy dinner ideas:
Shredded Chicken Tacos
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1 tbsp Finely chopped onion
- 1 pound Boneless chicken breasts
- 4 tbsp Taco seasoning can be adjusted according to your preference
- Salt and pepper to taste optional
- ½ cup Water or chicken broth
- 8-10 Hard tacos
- Toppings of your choice (lettuce, tomatoes, onions, sour cream, salsa e.t.c.)
Heat oil in a non stick pan over medium heat.
Add onions and chicken and cook until chicken is no longer pink and onion is golden brown.
Stir in taco seasoning, salt, pepper and water or chicken broth. Mix thoroughly.
Cover and cook for about 15 minutes.
Remove the cover and cook until water is reduced and chicken is cooked through, making sure to stir every few minutes.
Turn off the heat and use two forks to shred the chicken.
Fill your taco shells with shredded chicken and your choice of toppings and enjoy!
To make crockpot or slow cooker shredded chicken, just dump all the ingredients in the slow cooker. Cover lid and cook on high for 2 hours. Timing may vary depending on the type of slow cooker you use.
Well, that’s all for today.
Until next time, tata my lovelies!