Quick and easy no bake red velvet truffles recipe (red velvet cake truffles) with cream cheese are a bite sized dessert/ snack with rich and creamy texture.
If you love my Moist Red Velvet Cake, and my Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Truffles (Eggless) as well as my White Chocolate Truffles Recipe, then you are going to love this candy. These are so easy for a last minute Valentine's or Mother's Day dessert because they are no bake, require simple ingredients, and are ready in less than 30 minutes. The color and taste do not disappoint!
What is a cake truffle?
They are bite-sized cake balls. They can be made with raw cake mix and cream cheese or they can be made with baked cake scraps and crumbs, mixed together with frosting. After mixing and rolling, they are dipped in melted chocolate.
How to make easy red velvet truffles recipe with cake mix?
- Mix ingredients- Including cake mix powder, powdered sugar, and cream cheese.
- Form balls- Using small portions of dough.
- Roll them- In topping of choice. Enjoy!
Key ingredients for no bake red velvet cake truffles
- Cake mix- Red velvet is best.
- Cream cheese- Full-fat is ideal for richness.
- Toppings- For added flavor, texture, or visual appeal.
How to heat treat cake mix?
While the risks associated with raw flour and raw cake mix are low, you can take extra precaution by spreading the flour or cake mix powder on a cookie tray and baking for 5 minutes at 350° F.
Truffle topping/ coating ideas
- Chopped nuts– Such as toasted pecans, walnuts, cashews, almonds, hazelnuts, pistachios, or peanuts
- Dried fruit– Such as cranberries or cherries.
- Chocolate– Such as cocoa powder, chocolate shavings, or melted chocolate.
- Sugar– Such as powdered or sanding sugar.
- Sprinkles– Such as these How to Make Homemade Sprinkles, classic jimmies, or themed sprinkles.
- Freeze dried fruit powder– Such as strawberry or raspberry.
- Shredded coconut– Sweetened, unsweetened, or desiccated can be used according to your preference.
- Peppermint– Crush candy canes or round peppermints for a minty topping.
- Crushed cookies– Such as Oreos, graham crackers, or chocolate cookies.
- Mini chocolate chips- Such as white, dark, or semisweet chips.
Truffle filling ideas
- Nuts– Such as an almond, hazelnut, or pistachio. Don’t add too many nuts. Just a single nut is enough.
- Fruit– You can add a fresh raspberry or maraschino cherry.
- Marshmallow– Mini is best for size purposes. You could cut up big marshmallows into mini pieces, if that is all you have on hand.
- Mini cookie– Like Oreo, Chips Ahoy, or a Nilla wafer.
- Chopped pretzels– For a salty and crunchy addition.
- Chopped up candy bars– Such as a Twix, Snickers, or Kit Kat. It’s a fun surprise when you bite into the candy.
- Coffee bean– You could add a coffee or espresso bean to make a mocha version.
- Leftover brownie– Add a small piece of brownie to the center.
- Cookie dough– Make sure to use an eggless version such as this Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Truffles (Eggless) so it is safe to eat.
- M&M– Add a plain, peanut, caramel, or brownie m&m to the center.
Birthday truffles- Use funfetti cake mix.
Christmas truffles- Use gingerbread or spice cake mix.
Chocolate truffles- Use chocolate cake mix.
Vanilla truffles- Use yellow or white cake mix.
Red velvet Oreo balls- Crush red velvet Oreo cookies (they are seasonal and only sold for a limited time) in a food processor and mix it with cream cheese frosting until you have a smooth dough-like consistency. Roll mixture into small balls. Chill and then dip in chocolate. Enjoy! This is a great way to make red velvet Oreo truffles.
Red cake pops- Use this How to Make Cake Pops and Cake Balls as an in-depth guide. Prepare the cake balls first and place them on a cookie tray, lined with wax paper. Dip the end of lollipop stick in melted chocolate and then push it into each cake ball. Chill for 30 minutes in the freezer so it becomes firm. Then, dip it in melted chocolate and place them on a sheet of wax paper or push the sticks into a Styrofoam cube. Allow the chocolate to set and enjoy.
Use a cream cheese alternative- You can use my no fail best cream cheese frosting recipe.
Use leftover red velvet cake- You can make truffles made with cake crumbs and some frosting instead of the cake mix and cream cheese.
Make it from scratch- Using a homemade cake or mix, but my cake mix truffles are so much easier and just as tasty.
Tips and Techniques
Use full-fat cream cheese- Because it leads to a richer texture and flavor.
Chill the dough in the fridge for 30 minutes- Because this prevents the dough from being too soft and difficult to form into balls.
What to do if the mixture is crumbly? Add milk (a little at a time), until it is easy to roll into balls.
Prior to dipping these truffles in melted chocolate, chill them in the freezer for about 30 minutes- Because this ensures they are firm and don't fall apart.
Make sure to mix together the ingredients properly- Because this guarantees there are no lumps and the mixture is a smooth dough.
How many will this make? I was able to make 35 truffles, but this will all depend on the size of the balls you make. Make them larger for fewer, and smaller for more.
Storage for homemade truffles-
Refrigerate- In a sealed container for up to 3 days.
Freeze- For up to a month in sealed freezer bags, as long as you don’t dip them in melted chocolate first or coat them in sanding sugar. Thaw in the fridge to enjoy again.
More no bake candy recipes
- Cake Truffles (With Cake Mix)
- Easy Pumpkin Truffles
- Chocolate Mint Truffles
- Chocolate Rum Balls (No Bake)
Red Velvet Truffles (With Cake Mix)
- In a large mixing bowl, add cake mix powder, powdered sugar, cream cheese and mix until you have a ball of dough.
- Tip: If dough is too crumbly, add a little milk to make it easier to handle. Start with 1 tablespoon and add more, if necessary.
- Scoop out small portions of the dough and form little balls.
- Roll them in powdered sugar or granulated sugar or dip them in melted chocolate. Enjoy!
- Read all my tips above.
- The number of truffles you get from this recipe will depend on how big or small you roll your balls.
- Leftover truffles can be stored in the fridge for 3 days in a sealed container.