Healthy Chocolate Banana Ice Cream
Quick and easy chocolate banana ice cream recipe, made with 2 ingredients with many flavor options. This healthy chocolate ice cream is vegan and paleo.
This 2 ingredient chocolate banana ice cream is PERFECT for days when your sweet cravings are out of control but you are still trying to watch you diet.
It’s RICH and SMOOTH and CREAMY and absolutely DELICIOUS.
Obviously, DON’T expect it to taste as creamy as regular ice cream because no heavy cream is used in this recipe.
However, you can still enjoy this healthy chocolate ice cream for a low calorie dessert that won’t rest on your hips forever! hehe.
This chocolate banana ice cream WITHOUT ice cream machine is also no churn and requires only a food processor or blender.
Based on my research, this recipe would fall under the category of a VEGAN chocolate banana ice cream as well as PALEO chocolate banana ice cream.
If you are following those diets, you can enjoy this ice cream too!
This recipe comes from my Mom who started making it, when she was trying to loose some weight a few years ago.
When I saw the recipe, I had half a mind to forget about it because there were just 2 ingredients.
Imagine my surprise when I made it and fell in love on my first bite and didn’t want to share with anyone….lol.
How to make chocolate banana ice cream?
Add frozen bananas and cocoa powder in a blender and blend until smooth. Serve in ice cream cones or cups and enjoy.
Can you make banana ice cream in a blender?
Yes! Just add all the ingredients in a blender and pulse until smooth. Then, serve immediately or freeze for some more time to make it firmer and enjoy.
How do you make banana ice cream?
To make healthy banana ice cream, just omit the cocoa powder in the recipe and blend together frozen bananas until smooth and creamy.
Here are some FLAVOR VARIATIONS you can try with this frozen chocolate banana ice cream:
- For chocolate chip banana ice cream, stir in 3 tbsp mini chocolate chips.
- For banana white chocolate ice cream, stir in 1/4 cup white chocolate chips.
- For chocolate banana ice cream bites, spoon the ice cream mixture into mini muffin pans that have been generously sprayed with oil and then freeze for at least 1 hour. Then, use a butter knife to pop them out and enjoy.
- For chocolate banana ice cream pop/ chocolate banana ice cream popsicle/ banana and chocolate popsicle, spoon the mixture into popsicle molds and freeze for 1 hour or until mixture hardens.
- For peanut butter chocolate banana ice cream, add 1 tbsp creamy peanut butter into the mixture. My friends love this chocolate peanut butter banana ice cream!
- For mint chocolate banana ice cream, add 1/2 tsp mint extract and stir in 2-3 tbsp mint chocolate chips.
- You can also set up a chocolate banana ice cream bar with lots of toppings like sprinkles, nuts, chopped candies and cookies for people to make their own customized ice cream cones.
- For chocolate banana ice cream smoothie, thin out this mixture with about 1/2 cup milk.
Here are some TIPS for making guilt free chocolate banana ice cream:
- The mixture will start to look CRUMBLY and odd when you first start blending. Don’t worry… keep blending and eventually, you will have a soft-serve ice cream consistency.
- Use a HIGH QUALITY blender or food processor to create the smoothest consistency possible. I have noticed that with cheaper blenders, I have to add a little milk to get things going.
- You will have to let the container sit out for 10-15 minutes at room temperature after you remove it from the freezer so as to let the ice cream soften a bit.
- Use RIPE bananas because they are naturally so much sweeter.
- You can add additional honey or maple syrup to SWEETEN it further, if you like.
Well, that’s all for today.
If you liked this recipe for chocolate banana ice cream, you may like some of these other frozen desserts too:
Chocolate Banana Ice Cream
- Slice the bananas and place them on a cookie tray, lined with parchment paper.
- Freezer for about 2 hours.
- For soft-serve ice cream, serve immediately. For firm ice cream, freeze for 1 hour and then serve. Enjoy!
- Read all my tips above.
- Leftovers can be stored in the freezer for up to a month.
Until next time, tata my lovelies!