Quick, easy cherry frosting recipe (creamy cherry buttercream icing)- Made with 4 simple ingredients: butter, sugar, maraschino cherry juice, almond extract. Perfect for piping.
This icing just screams Summer. It's fruity, silky smooth, creamy and has a beautiful pink color. You can also use it for icing cupcakes, cakes, cookies, brownies and bars. It's just as pretty and delicious as my Strawberry Frosting (With Fresh Strawberries).
Table of contents
Cherry buttercream icing is made with 4 ingredients!
- Butter- This should be unsalted and at room temperature.
- Sugar- This should be powdered and sifted.
- Almond extract- This adds a wonderful flavor and aroma.
- Cherry juice- Can use fresh cherry juice or maraschino juice.
- Food coloring- Add some pink gel color to intensify the color but this is optional.
How to make easy homemade cherry frosting recipe from scratch?
- Beat butter- Until light and fluffy.
- Add powdered sugar- Mix until frosting starts to become thick.
- Add remaining ingredients- This includes cherry juice, almond extract, powdered sugar.
- Mix- Until frosting is thick and smooth.
A great way to enjoy this buttercream is on my Sugar Cookies as a topping or as a cookie sandwich.
Add cream cheese- Cream together 8 oz cream cheese with the butter and add mix in powdered sugar until frosting thickens to your desired consistency. More powdered sugar will be needed that what's written below in the recipe card.
Add chocolate chips- Stir in ½ cup mini chocolate chips in the prepared frosting at the very end.
Use fresh cherries- Pit and puree fresh cherries in a blender and run it through a fine sieve and use this liquid instead of maraschino juice.
Use black cherries- Puree black cherries in a blender and run it through a fine sieve and use this liquid instead of maraschino juice.
Use frozen cherries- Puree frozen cherries in a blender and run it through a fine sieve and use this liquid.
Try other extracts- Such as vanilla or coconut.
Tips and techniques
- If frosting is too thick, thin it out by mixing in some more juice (1 teaspoon at a time).
- If frosting is too thin, thicken it by adding more powdered sugar (¼ cup at a time).
- Use unsalted butter to prevent icing from becoming too salty.
- All ingredients must be at room temperature because they will blend together more smoothly.
- Frosting is enough for icing 24 cupcakes or filling and icing an 8 inch round cake.
- Recipe can easily be doubled or tripled.
- Almond extract has a strong flavor. Use it sparingly.
- You can stir in finely chopped maraschino cherries but it becomes very difficult to pipe it since the cherries get stuck in the piping tip. However, you would have no issues if you are spreading frosting on cakes/cupcakes with a spatula.
- Add pink gel coloring to enhance the pink color. A small amount of red coloring would work well too.
Refrigerate- In a sealed container for up to 1 week.
Freeze- In a sealed container for up to 1 month. When you are ready to enjoy it, thaw in fridge overnight and then whip again to make it fluffy.
More fruity frosting recipes
- Easy Orange Frosting (Buttercream Icing)
- Blackberry Buttercream Frosting
- Mango Frosting
- Red Frosting (Red Velvet Icing)
- Black Icing (Buttercream Frosting)
Maraschino Cherry Frosting Recipe
- Beat butter until light and fluffy.
- Add some powdered sugar and mix until frosting starts to become thick.
- Mix in cherry juice and almond extract.
- And more powdered sugar and continue mixing until frosting becomes smooth and creamy.
- Add some pink gel color to intensify the color but this is optional. Enjoy!
- Read all my tips above.
- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 1 week.