This is the best cream cheese frosting recipe for piping cupcakes and cake decorating. This stable icing is creamy, fluffy, easy to make and not runny!
Most classic cream cheese frosting recipes I have tried tend to use way too much cream cheese.
That makes them very soft, making it IMPOSSIBLE to pipe and make pretty swirls on cupcakes.
This weekend, I was on a MISSION to make the best cream cheese frosting that’s not too “runny”
After three unsuccessful attempts, my fourth one was a big success!
Presenting the most STABLE cream cheese frosting ever…
It has the perfect BALANCE of sweetness and tanginess.
It’s silky smooth and fluffy but still holds its shape.
I am so happy to finally to add this frosting recipe into my expanding icing recipe collection:
Orange buttercream icing
Chocolate buttercream icing
Seedless strawberry frosting
Best buttercream icing
Coconut cream chocolate frosting
Seven minute frosting
Glace icing (dries hard- best for cookie decorating!)
Royal icing (dries hard- best for cookie decorating!)
Here are some helpful tips for making this perfect stable cream cheese frosting recipe:
- DON’T use low fat cream cheese. It must be full fat cream cheese. This adds flavor and richness to your frosting.
- Use cold cream cheese. It should NOT be at room temperature.
- Using meringue powder and cornstarch in this frosting helps to make it thicker and and stabilizes it.
- You will know your frosting is ready when you scoop frosting onto your spatula and it holds its shape without dripping.
- This icing can be colored with gel colors. DON’T use liquid food coloring!
- This cream cheese frosting is perfect for icing red velvet cakes, carrot cakes, cupcakes, cinnamon rolls, brownies and anything else you like.
- If you like, you can make this frosting THINNER by adding more milk or heavy cream (only 1 tbsp at a time) until you reach the desired consistency.
For this stable cream cheese frosting recipe, you will need the following ingredients:
8 oz cream cheese (full fat)
1/2 cup unsalted butter (softened)
4 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cups cornstarch
1 tbsp meringue powder
1 tbsp vanilla extract
And here are the steps:
In a mixing bowl, beat together the cream cheese and butter.
Add vanilla extract and mix again.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar, cornstarch and meringue powder.
Start adding this sugar mixture (1/2 cup at a time) into the wet mixture, while continuing to mix until all the sugar is incorporated.
And you are done!
Store leftover frosting in the fridge and use within 1 week.
- 8 oz cream cheese (full fat)
- ½ cup unsalted butter (softened)
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- ½ cups cornstarch
- 1 tbsp meringue powder
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- In a mixing bowl, beat together the cream cheese and butter.
- Add vanilla extract and mix again.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar, cornstarch and meringue powder.
- Start adding this sugar mixture (1/2 cup at a time) into the wet mixture, while continuing to mix until all the sugar is incorporated.
- And you are done!
Well, that’s all for today.
Until next time, tata my lovelies!