Chocolate Popcorn Cake
This rich and decadent chocolate popcorn cake with chocolate buttercream icing is great for birthday parties! It’s easy to make with simple ingredients.
I am CRAZY about popcorn, OBSESSED with chocolate, LOVE cake, which led to this spicy chocolate popcorn cake!
This RICH chocolate cake is frosted in chocolate buttercream icing and then topped off with chocolate ganache and SPICY buttered popcorn!
Can’t get BETTER than that? Right?
This cake DIDN’T even last a day at out house.
It was gone in just a FEW hours!
Yup…It was that GOOD!
By the way, I noticed that if you toss the popcorn on top of this cake in advance, they become SOGGY and disgusting.
To PREVENT that from happening, prepare a fresh batch of popcorn when you are ready to serve the cake and then just toss them on top.
Also, I used red edible spray to give these spicy popcorns a POP of color!
You can use ANY color you like OR even a combination of different colors OR use nothing at al!
If you are fond of cakes, check out some of these other FAVORITE recipes…
Chocolate Popcorn Cake
- 1 3/4 cup All-purpose flour
- 2 cups Granulated sugar
- 1 cup Buttermilk
- 1 cup Coffee, Strong, Freshly brewed
- 1/2 cup Oil
- 2 Eggs, Large
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking soda
- 1 tbsp Vanilla extract
- 8 oz Chocolate , Semisweet
- 1 cup Heavy cream
- 1 cup Popcorn, Butter flavored
- 1 tsp Chili powder
- 1 tsp Paprika
- Red edible spray
- In another bowl, add eggs, oil, buttermilk, coffee and vanilla extract. Mix everything thoroughly.
- Now, add this wet mixture into your sifted, dry mixture and mix everything again.
- Pour this batter into 2 greased/floured round cake pans (Dimensions: 8x2).
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Chop up the chocolate into small pieces and place it in a heat-proof bowl.
- Heat heavy cream in a saucepan, making sure not to over-boil it.
- Pour this hot heavy cream over your chopped up chocolate.
- Use a whisk to mix everything until you have a smooth, glossy mixture.
- Allow the ganache to cool down and thicken a little before applying it on top of your cake.
- Prepare your salted, buttered popcorn the way you normally do, and dump it all in a big deep bowl.
- Sprinkle chili powder and paprika on your popcorn and mix everything with a big spoon.
- Just spray these popcorns with red spray but don't overdo it. It's nice to see shades of yellow (from the butter) and red (from the spray).
- TIP: You can adjust the amount of chili powder and paprika, based on the level of spice you can handle OR you can omit it completely if you can't handle spices too well.
- Once your cakes have cooled down, fill them and frost them completely with chocolate buttercream.
- Use a spatula to make a diagonal pattern on the cake.
- Pour some ganache on top of the cake and use a spoon to spread it out and let it pour down the side of the cake slightly.
- Place this cake in the fridge and when you are ready to serve, toss some spicy buttery popcorn on the top.
- TIP: If you toss the popcorn on top of this cake in advance, they will become soggy and yucky! So, only put popcorn on top of the cake, just prior to serving! Enjoy!
Well, that’s all for today.
Until next time, tata my lovelies!